Infertility
Options

DH with depression

Yesterday, I was all smiles and excited for this month for I'll have my first FET. But today, it's a bit different.

Ive been optimistic from the beginning of this IVF journey but the toughest for me is handling my DH, he is bipolar. I'm hurt too when he is hurting. I can handle the shots and all that comes with it but this thing with my husband is something else. I only knew about it early this year and I'm still adjusting to everything.

i don't know how to handle my emotions now plus I'm preparing for my FET. I told two friends and they are also praying for me and my DH.

Sorry for sharing this dark story of mine. I just wanted to let it out. 

Re: DH with depression

• Options
    My husband has similar problems, and sometimes I feel like this process is harder on him, but just in a different way. I do all of my own shots, go to appointments alone. He does go to my actual FET procedures, but that's it. We have dealt with early loss throughout this whole thing and it wears on him heavily. I just try and refrain from talking about the process and now I am trying to be careful not to get his hopes up. I shared with him 2 months ago when I had a positive HPT only to find out it was a CP.

We as women are going through a lot right now, and I think our SO's sometimes may feel powerless and react in different ways to cope. Some try to become more involved, some (like my husband) tend to withdraw.

With all that being said, I know how you feel and I know it's hard. Best wishes for your upcoming transfer :)
  • Options
    @tinjp78 @Crystal321 No advice, but sending hugs... I know its hard on our partners and so much tougher if there are extra needs

@tinjp78 please know we are here for you and if you feel you need extra support please rely on us too
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tinjp78 - IF is hard on the STRONGEST of marriages. Dealing with it when having another layer of mental illness on top would be/is BRUTAL, and bipolar is a tough one too.

Hang in there! Even if you only knew about it early this year, I'm sure there was a lot of concerning behaviour before the diagnosis. I hope you are taking time to take good good care of yourself, and that you are establishing some loving boundaries with DH.

• Options
    Thank you very much for being here for me and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm learning so much from these boards and the support is helping me much. Thank you all for the love. I'm happy to find you guys and I'll hope for the best things to come our way.
  • Options
    Thank you @a78saha for sharing your thoughts. Please know that you are not alone. I've posted my feelings here about my husband because I was hoping to get some encouragement, and I got them. The ladies here just so precious, makes me feel somebody really understands what I'm going through. Best of luck to your journey and I hope you get to know you more in the other boards :smile:
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing this @tinjp78
    please know that we are here to help at every step. I agree 100% with @a78saha ivf is a tough and lonely road, and I can only imagine how much tougher it is while having to be strong for someone else. I think it's great and noble that you put your DH first, he needs the support and he is a lucky guy to have you as his wife
  • Options
    @tinjp78 you are such a special soul and we are so lucky to have you here as a member of the boards! ❤  your positivity and optimistic outlook shine through, even in the toughest times.  And you know all too well how tough this can really be.  My husband will lash out in other ways sometimes, like hes overreacting to every day stuff, and I can't help but think all this stress is weighing onnhim, but like others have said, he's powerless to "fix" any of the if stuff.  It's taxing and it's hard on any man's ego, because he wants to be there and be strong for his wife, and here we have no choice but to turn to the doctors and trust that they know what they are doing lol.  I definitely feel like before his surgery, I had to be the strong one and not break down, because it would hurt his heart too much to see me in pain, and he would blame himself for our situation.  Now that at least his surgery was successdul, it's gotten easier, but I still use the boards and my nurse or doctor to voice certain things, because it's just not where his head is at.  He's very practical.  He has to focus on his work, the day-to-day that needs to get done.  And I fosuc more on this.  He will focus on a pregnancy when it's actually happening, where in my mind I have already been pregnant for two years!!!  ;)  so as extra hard as it is with his bipolar, please know that this stuff is just very different for men and women, no matter what.  We just need to find whatever works for us as individuals to get through sometimes.  I actually went to a free counselling session at my clinic, and have mentioned to H about us going in together for a couples one.  Maybe worth looking into if your clinic offers services like that, too??? ((((Hugs))))  you're doing a great job!
  • Options
    @bethann1022 Your situation reminds me a lot of my own in some ways. When my husband starts getting anxiety, he completely shuts down. He will miss weeks of work at a time and just sleep 16 hours a day.  It's rare, but it happens. He got let go from a job a long time ago becase of it. He is not on medication anymore though because the side effects were too much. He handles it well most of the time, but when it gets to be too much, then it's like a train wreck.

Last night I brought it up to him asking if he wanted to do another cycle aftet this. He said no, but he would leave the final decision up to me. He basically just asked me that if I am anxious about it not working, not to tell him. TW - we already have 1 IVF baby, so his way of coping is to be happy that we lucked out on one baby and anything extra is just a bonus.

I would love to have his full support on this, but he is just not able to get as emotionally involved or it may send him over the edge again, and we can't afford for him to risk losing this job
  • Options
    @BusinessWife @coco305 and @bethann1022 Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I don't know how to reply to your messages. I just want to say that my heart is full and I can't believe that even though we haven't actually met face to face, I feel your care and support. Everything in my life this year is extremely overpowering, I've not experienced anything like this in my 39 years of existence. But you ladies here give me the courage to move on. I hope and pray for all the best things to happen in our journey this year. 

Love,
    Christine