Infertility

Introducing myself

Hello everyone. My  name is Tracy. My husband and I have been TTC for about 4 years now. Neither of us has any children. My doctor has diagnosed me with unknown infertility, but he thinks it is due to scar tissue from an abdominal surgery I had in 2008. On 9/28 I started my pre-cycle for IVF with Lupron. I start my cycle on October 6th. Has anyone else had any stress when getting their meds from the insurance company? It took them a week and a half to get it approved and processed through my insurance. I received the meds the day before my start date. I was seriously stressing, and it's not like they helped much when I called with concerns. All I got was "we haven't finished processing your insurance yet". I know we are very lucky in that I have really good insurance and it covers my meds except for the $250 copay. Also with the $100K lifetime and we just have to pay the $50 co pay each time we go to the office. Though that will start to add up once I have to go everyday for monitoring. I look forward to giving and receiving support here!

Re: Introducing myself

• Welcome! Yes I had trouble with my initial ivf meds, but since then it's been pretty routine. It gets easier!
  • Very lucky to have insurance! Mine pays for almost nothing :( good luck to you on your IVF!!
  • Loading the player...
  • sarcasticowlsarcasticowl member
    edited September 2017
    @bassetlover1 Welcome! My insurance takes its sweet-ass time processing pre-authorizations on the injectable meds unless my RE's office sends the approval with a "rush." These are all things you get really good at the longer you go down this road. We did IVF freeze-all in February and I'm now ordering refills on tons of meds after our first FET cycle failed. Huge pain. Briova is who I went through for most things but after they were out of three separate things I called for, I quit them and moved everything over to Freedom Fertility Pharmacy, who are far and away more capable humans. Best of luck to you and your husband. That's an awesome lifetime benefit, you are very lucky (mine is $20k).
  • The whole ivf med process is stressful. But they always deliver on time. I kept getting calls and I had no idea what they were asking me. As naive as it sounds now, I seriously thought I'd just stop by my local pharmacy and pick up my meds. For me the scariest part was the giant cooler that showed up. But eventually it all makes sense. I used cvs specialty, but I hear a lot of people like acaria health as well. It's all so overwhelming, hang in there. 
  • I have gotten very lucky with my insurance that is for sure. I work for a county government so they offer a few different selections so I picked the one that covered the most fertility and pregnancy benefits. My meds came out of my pharmacy benefit and not my life time fertility benefit, still trying to figure out what that means exactly except I know its supposed to be good. I also looked into the self pay pharmacy MDRx I think and saw that I could afford to pay some out of pocket if need be.
  • dragonette505dragonette505 member
    edited October 2017
    @bassetlover1 My meds are part of my regular prescription meds benefits too... so I am just co pay on that (unless its stuff that is experimental like HGH, which I paid full price out of pocket). Also most of my monitoring comes as gyn visits and are just copay's. I have a yearly deductible and once that's met I only pay for extras (like picsi or whatever else) so like my last 2 cycles its just been office co pays (20 bucks), meds co pays, and extras oop. My meds have all come next day delivery. I had some days when I was worried (like snow storm delays in delivery) but once my docs sent in the scrips and I paid the co pay, they sent the stuff out overnight.
  • @dragonette505 My co pay is $50 each visit and $250 for my men's which could add up but I still feel pretty lucky considering plenty of others have to pay a lot more!