January 2018 Moms
Options

Randoms Week of 9/25

Re: Randoms Week of 9/25

• Options
    Approximately 1/2 hour until I take my CISM certification exam... Ugh!  Signed up for this before I knew I was pregnant and I can put it off no longer.  I have studied for approximately 2 hours total.  What a trainwreck!  It will be a straight up miracle if I pass.   :s:'(
  • Options
    @egirl1025 good luck!!

So I totally just tried to burn down the peds pharmacy. I was heating up my lunch in the back room on a paper plate. I start smelling fire so I opened the microwave, my paper plate is on fire. Um WTF? Then to make me feel like a complete idiot 2 coworkers came to check because they smelled smoke. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cyanope I'm no help because I've never been to Kauai, just Oahu and the Big Island but... how exciting!!! I'd say, just relax, sleep in, enjoy the weather  :)
  • Options
    @cyanope, I haven't been to Kauai but just wanted to see if you've looked into compression socks or tights for the flight. Last time I flew overseas, my ankles swelled so bad even with drinking tons of water, getting up to walk once an hour, trying to elevate them with my carry-on, and even shifting sideways to put them on DH's lap for a leg massage.  I hope that doesn't happen to you but wanted to say something so maybe you could see about compression socks/tights as a preventative measure. Maybe also prep DH that you might need multiple calf and feet massages on the flight to try to help! After the flight each way I had to lay down and prop up my feet to sleep. The swelling went down by the next morning.

What an exciting location for your baby moon! I hope y'all have so much fun!
  • Options
    I have my compression socks ready to go, @kelk5! We went to the Sierras in July (a 10 hour drive) and I wore those bad boys the entire time. I will definitely be wearing them on the plane!
  • Options
    @cyanope, that's awesome, so glad you have them!
  • Options
    @egirl1025 yay for learning through osmosis 

No it as just a good ole bean and cheese burrito, I still don't know what happened. Oh well I didn't burn the place down
  • Options
    @egirl1025 yay!

I'm struggling to pull the trigger on buying a second convertible car seat. I want to wait for Black Friday, but what if it's not any cheaper?? I hate my bargain shopper mind sometimes.
  • Options
    @cyanope when are you leaving? We are heading to Oahu in 3 weeks!
  • Options
    @cyanope which part of the island are you staying on? North or South? I have some recos (unfortunately a lot of them have to do with some serious hiking or raw fish - mmmmm poke bowls) but I can send you a message if you want our "trip report". We were on south side for a few nights and north side for two nights.
  • Options
    @cyanope I sent you our trip report now, just because it would never happen if it wasn't top of mind. 

@supercoolstephy that. is. awesome.
  • Options
    schaze said:
    @egirl1025 yay!

I'm struggling to pull the trigger on buying a second convertible car seat. I want to wait for Black Friday, but what if it's not any cheaper?? I hate my bargain shopper mind sometimes.
    @schaze thanks!  I would probably wait unless the deal is currently 30% off or more.  I am not a big Black Friday shopper, but there always seems to be great deals if you are willing to do a little bit of work.  I bought two convertible carseats earlier this year and even with the 20% off, were not cheap, so gotta do what you can to save.
  • Options
    @Peepster omg you have to get cheese curds at the Old Fashioned with the red pepper aioli or similar dipping sauce. Yummmmmmm!
  • Options
    @peepster don't forget State Street Brats or better yet just State Street in general.  Badger Hall has homemade ice cream (yum!).  There is also an amazing Farmer's Market on the capital square Saturday mornings (not sure if that is still active this late in the year, but I think it would be).  Lots of people, but lots of good food and fun.  And.. Finally the Madison zoo is nice and free of charge.  

Wow after writing all this, I kind of forgot how fun it was to live there.  So much to do!  I hope you have a wonderful time!!

@Cyanope I have only been to Maui, which was a pretty chill island in relation to the other Hawaiian islands, except Kauai.  Did you happen to look at the Hawaii tourist site?  DH and I got married there and before finalizing the decision we took a quiz they had that would match you and your wants in the vacation to the perfect island.  From what I remember surfing, hiking, snorkeling and just laying in the beach were the highlights for Kauai and general lack of the tourist influx that you get on the other islands.  Sounds super relaxing to me.  I miss Hawaii.  Have fun!!!
  • Options
    @peepster I'm super close to Madison and all great recommendations so far but if you have any other questions let me know!
  • Options
    @Peepster welcome to my neck of the woods! There's so much to do here. I'd highly recommend the zoo (bonus-it's free!) Eplegaarden is a great orchard, and it's just nice to walk around too. Babcock Hall is where the amazing ice cream is, and there are so many cute shops on either Monroe or State Street! If you need any recs, let me know! We love living in Madison.
  • Options
    You guys had me at cheese curds and ice cream.

Seriously, though, thank you for all the recommendations, ladies! It all sounds fantastic! State street definitely sounds right up my alley, and the zoo would be great if we're able to fit it in. We're also looking for a nice place to walk and/or drive around to look at the autumn leaves. Would the Eplegaarden be a good place for that, @schaze? We don't mind driving outside of Madison, if need be.
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That's what I keep telling myself, @EmilyLove25! Dh and I NEED this. And I love what you said about this LO needing it too. I sometimes feel like I go days without thinking about this baby, whereas with DD, she's ALL I thought about. Poor second children! We do need to spend some time soaking up each other (DH and I) and focusing on this little guy. Thanks for that. Hopefully that focus can get me on the plane next week without breaking down!
  • Options
    @Peepster it's all apple trees, so probably not.. if you drive about an hour away to the kettle moraine area, you'll see lots of gorgeous colors! I haven't been yet this year, but last year it was beautiful. There's a state park over there and a scenic drive.
  • Options
    Thanks, @schaze! We'll look into it! 
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @peepster the other state park I'd recommend is devil's lake- it's about 45ish min outside Madison but is beautiful! One of the top ranked state parks in the country! Lots of hiking but also a really pretty drive to get into the park. Some of the trees should be changing I would think.
  • Options
    @Peepster you could always take a drive west of Madison and check out Taliesan, if you're into Frank Lloyd Wright and also New Glarus is out west too.  Quaint town and has the brewery where they make Spotted Cow (maybe not as fun for you, but the city is like a mini swiss village). Oh and the original Culver's is somewhere close to Madison...Sauk City???  Fellow Wisconsinites, help me out!!!   Tree are all staying to turn here so any drive outside the city will be beautiful.

@schaze thank you for correcting my pregnancy brain mistake on Babcock Hall.  It would have been tragic to miss that ice cream.  
  • Options
    So many choices! Thanks again for all the help, ladies! 
  • Options
    Definitely Devil's Lake! It's so pretty. @egirl1025 is right about the original Culver's location, and it's right in the way to the lake so super convenient. New Glarus has a really good restaurant but now I can't remember what it's called.. we did the brewery tour while I was pregnant with DD but we stopped to eat there and it was delicious. 
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 Happy (belated) 2nd Birthday to your DD! My DS will be 2 on Saturday and we are also having his party that day. They're at such a fun age, I can't wait to see his reaction to everything!

DS just got a "big boy" haircut (his second, but the first wasn't as dramatic/just cut off the natural rat tail that grew lol) and I'm missing his wild blonde curls! He looks like a dapper little man now though :)
  • Options
    I’m so irritated right now. DH and I are looking for a house to buy and the market here is sooo crazy!! We put in an offer on a place for $6000 over the listing price and they took a different offer!! Then two days ago we put in another offer on a different place, again over the listing price, and were told there were multiple offers in the first 48 hours of it being listed and now they want our ‘best and final offer’ today. I just want to get a place and start on the nursery and our lives. 
  • Options
    This thread is getting me so excited to take the kiddos back to Wisconsin some day. It's where il's are from and dh spent his first few years before they moved to AZ. Dh and I have been there once for a wedding and loved camping and climbing at devil's lake.

Happy babymoons to those who have plans!!

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Late, late, late (it's been a week), but @cyanope if you get the chance I'd highly recommend a helicopter tour! So jealous, have fun!!!
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!