April 2018 Moms

Weekend Randoms - 9/23

2»

Re: Weekend Randoms - 9/23

• I pulled the trigger and emailed to get on a daycare waitlist! Hopefully the waitlist for infant rooms isn't too bad. 
  • So even the infant care waitlist can be 2 to 3 years long. How is that possible? A 2 year old is in a toddler room, and a 3 year old is in a preschool room! 
  • Loading the player...
  • that seems strange to me @allowachick
     Is your infant room up to 2 years?  I think there is an in between room here.  So infant, younger toddlers, older toddlers, 3's etc.  I don't know the exact age groups though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So even the infant care waitlist can be 2 to 3 years long. How is that possible? A 2 year old is in a toddler room, and a 3 year old is in a preschool room! 
    @allowachick Most states place pretty strict limits on the number of infants in one room, and the infant-to-teacher ratio is much lower than for older kids. So while two classrooms of 2 year olds may have 15 kids each, the infant room may only have 7. We also found that a lot of daycares around us don't even have infant rooms, creating even more demand on the ones that do. It's so frustrating. 
  • that seems strange to me @allowachick
     Is your infant room up to 2 years?  I think there is an in between room here.  So infant, younger toddlers, older toddlers, 3's etc.  I don't know the exact age groups though.
    @ekendall09 we briefly looked at daycare centers for DS, and the infant rooms here went up to 11 months. After that they go to a toddler room up to age two, then they seperate by each year after that. 
  • @ekendall09 @kmalls this one has 4 infant rooms from 6 weeks -18 months, then a toddler room, then 3&4 year old preschool, then 4&5 year old preschool rooms.  So by their designation a 2 year old wouldn't even be in an infant room! Are you supposed to be on the waitlist as soon as you're TTC? Brain does not compute. 
  • @viggie17 since your maternity will end at the beginning of summer, what about a high school student to watch baby until fall? I did that for my cousin and it worked out great!  She got to eat meals with us and nurse the baby then go back to he office to work. I was way cheaper than daycare

• @ekendall09 @kmalls this one has 4 infant rooms from 6 weeks -18 months, then a toddler room, then 3&4 year old preschool, then 4&5 year old preschool rooms.  So by their designation a 2 year old wouldn't even be in an infant room! Are you supposed to be on the waitlist as soon as you're TTC? Brain does not compute. 
    @allowachick but what's the definition of an infant in your state? In MA, it's any child under 15 months of age, and infants require a 3:1 child-teacher ratio. Honestly I don't think you'd even want a 2 year d in an infant room, they're light years beyond what infants need in terms of stimulation and age-appropriate play. 
  • @kmalls When I used to work in a daycare the infant ratio was 1:6. How I did that blows my mind 1:3 is much more realistic! 

@allowachick is there other daycares in your area you can look into? That's just crazy! 
  • @zombiemom1318 - 6:1?! That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Yikes! 
  • @zombiemom1318 I am looking into others, but this is the one associated with my university

@kmalls that is my point. A 2 year old isn't in an infant room.  The waitlist is longer than the amount of time you could possibly need an infant room