December 2017 Moms
Options

Birth Control

Hi ladies! I'm already thinking birth control options after this baby is born, ha! We are finished after this one and soon as it's safe, I'll be using the copper IUD, which is good for 10 years. Previous to this pregnancy I used mirena and it made me a mess for the first 3 months it was in.

-what methods will you be using, if at all?
-how soon after birth/if you're nursing will you be using it?

Re: Birth Control

• Options
    I think I'll probably take the mini pill or whatever while I'm breastfeeding. I don't generally ovulate on my own, but I could and I really don't want another baby immediately after this one. I honestly know next to nothing about the mini pill, so my OB will have to enlighten me down the road.

Since I have PCOS I think I'm going to have to take hormonal birth control basically forever to shed my uterine lining, because otherwise there's a risk of cancer or something scary? I obviously don't know a whole lot about this, because I was only diagnosed with PCOS while we were TTC, so not sure what non-TTC is going to have to look like. But I think I'll stick with the pill until we TTC again. When we decide we're done I'll see if any other methods will work for me.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    @MJDSquared From what I remember, the mini pill is very similar to the pill, just less hormones. It hopefully has less side effects. 

AFM, after everything we went through to get this pregnancy, we will likely be foregoing hormonal birth control after this pregnancy for awhile and just using barrier methods. Prior to infertility treatments I had a Mirena IUD that I LOVED. I had no periods for four years, no cramps, no bloating, no awful pain. When I am done having children, that will likely be our go-to. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    whiskawhiska member
    edited September 2017
    Same as @txmomma16.  H and I agree it took so long to get here that we'll start rolling the dice around 6 months, or as soon as I feel pretty good again and my iron levels look okay - so this could be between 6mos and a year.  Before that we'll use condoms for 3-4 months.  Then after 4 months if I've gotten af back, I'll start temping again.  Not my favorite thing BUT if I am lucky enough to have a regular cycle I feel pretty confident about using my charts to avoid fertile window until we're ready to NTNP or actively try.

ETA - but like I said, after months and months of hitting -2, -1, and 0 with bfns, I might be kinda laissez faire about it.
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    @ngarciabyu Sorry your H is acting like a bit of a baby about it! Totally agree that after all these years of bc being on me, ttc was mostly on me to track, and now I'm growing our child: Yep, he can have a very common, routine procedure when we're done.

I feel like it's one of those things that a TON of guys have done but no one talks about.  I'm sure your H knows a bunch of guys with vasectomies but that's not something that comes up in everyday conversation lol.
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    We used condoms after DD. It took us 6 months of trying to get preggo with her and being on bc messed with my cycle when I got off, so we figured we'd do condoms since we knew we wanted them pretty close together. For this one, it took one time unprotected (on a day that should have been safe according to my cycle)! We have always planned on 2. If we still feel good about that when this one arrives, DH will get a vasectomy.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @MJDsquared I got pregnant with this one on the mini pill. The big thing with that one is you HAVE to take it at the same time everyday 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB just asked me about this at my last visit. I had tried the Mirena ages and ages ago and it hurt so fiercely that I had to have it removed. Up until TTC I was using the Nuvaring, which I loved because I could skip cycles with it, but the idea of a BC method I don't have to mess with every month is very appealing. My OB recommended trying the Nexplanon which sounds like a good plan, I just want to do a little more reading about it before I commit. And tbh, I don't think DH would ever be willing to get a vasectomy, he gets pale and squirmy just talking about it. *eye roll*
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    We are definitely done after this one so I will have a tubal ligation.  I have a clotting disorder so I am unable to take hormonal birth control.  After last pregnancy, I attempted the mini pill at my OBs recommendation and had a bad experience with it (just basically bled all the time) for those who choose the mini pill, it's really important to take it at the same time every day for it to be truly effective. 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• Options
    I've was off BC for 3 years prior to conceiving and just monitored the timing and used condoms if it was during the fertile window. We'll probably do the same after baby is born. I don't really have a plan for when we would try for a second but have always had a if it happens it happens sort of attitude. I didn't like being on BC and don't want an IUD/implant as I suspect we will be trying again in a year or two. I'm also irrationally afraid of pulmonary embolisms seeing many of them at my work, so I'm just too paranoid for anything hormonal as well. 

Long term, DH has agreed to a vasectomy unless I have a csection with my last and they can do a ligation quickly and easily. I have no tolerance for men being too wussy for a minor procedure as opposed to major surgery or putting the responsibility on the woman for the rest of her life. 
  • Options
    This is our 4th and last baby... I have c-sections so we decided the best option is to go for a tubal ligation since they can do it at the same time as the delivery.
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't kind of terrified.
    I mean, I know without a doubt we are done having kids, but it really hit home for me at my last OB appointment when I had to sign all the consent forms for it... TW- When i miscarried last year it was a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, and I lost one of my tubes- end TW.. I just remember how it felt at that time, how particularly devastating it was. I'm just nervous about how it will impact me post partum.
    That and it's definitely the end of an era. It just makes me appreciate all the things about pregnancy and babies and everything, knowing this is the last time.
  • Options
    We are definitely done after this. I'll get a new copper iud after my 6 wk visit then we'll see about a vasectomy for DH.
  • Options
    This will be our third and final child. DH is getting a vasectomy and has no issues with it. We actually have sperm banked from before his cancer treatments so if in a few years we change our mind, we're covered but I highly doubt we will. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I will be using a form of natural family planning. Im using the device daisy :)
  • Options
    dkizz82dkizz82 member
    edited September 2017
    @eazybreezy225 I understand. This is our last one as well. I have said I’m getting a tubal since we found out I was pregnant.  But it hit me last week that this would be final. I don’t know. If there’s any doubt in my mind, I won’t sign and will take care of it later. I just feel it would be easier during my c section. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH will be getting a vasectomy shortly after our twins are born. We'd always planned to have two kids, in addition to my stepdaughter, so we're just getting both of them sooner than we thought we would! I'm thankful that DH is completely on board with the plan and has never complained at all about getting one. 
  • Options
    Hormonal birth control has caused some pretty serious depression and anxiety issues for me in the past, so we'll probably just go back to calendar method/NFP. It worked well for us before, but that's assuming my cycle is still pretty regular.
  • Options
    We had good success with FAM (fertility awareness method) with the Kindara app for several years. I also credit that with how we were able to conceive relatively quickly.  But since I plan to breastfeed I am not sure how much it will mess up my temps and ovulation.  Not to mention being up and down half the night with an infant would probably make the temps inaccurate anyway-- so it's barrier methods for us until I can be sure I'm ovulating on a normal schedule again! 
  • Options
    My cycle is FUBAR, so I'll probably be on some sort of hormonal regulation just to make sure it doesn't stretch out to 90+ days or anything again.  My OB wants me on an IUD with progesterone, but we'll see how things sort out. (I had such horrible moodswings and headaches taking progesterone as part of our TTC meds.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to try to not be on any type of birth control.  It took 19 months with perfect timing (temping) and 3 rounds of IVF to get pregnant.  If my cycles get a little longer, I will inquire about taking something to jump start my period.  I will talk more about this with my OBGYN but at this point if we get pregnant naturally, I think it will be close to a miracle and not something either of us would be upset about since we both have infertility to some degree.  
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Options
    @rebeckyjoy consider NFP with temping and/or condoms at first. My cycle came back about 3 moths PP (pretty early since I was breastfeeding), and then I thought my cycle regulated, so I was just keeping an eye on the calendar, but we were also still using condoms. We had unprotected sex what should have been the day before my cycle started, and instead we got pregnant! We wanted them pretty close together anyway (DD will be about 16.5 months when LO arrives--that's a little closer than we'd hoped), so just a word of warning in case 2 under 2 is not appealing!

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @beary67 This is what I did after my first--it took us 5 years to get pregnant the first time. When my period came back about a year after DD was born, we started trying again and it took us about a year to get successfully pregnant again.

This time, though, we know we are done with two so I think I might get an IUD. We're not looking for another miracle!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really hoping and going to suggest that SO get snipped. I fear he will chicken out and put it off forever though.  We are 95% sure we are done of this one. That 5% would come from an oops and not a planned pregnancy.  With that said, I will probably get the arm implant that is good for a few years. I've used the pill most of my life, but at this stage with three kids the odds of me remembering to take it aren't as good as it used to be.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm posting this as a reminder.

I started weaning nursing around 5 months with baby girl (she got her first tooth--gnawing on me wasn't the greatest). My doctor and I discussed getting back on birth control when I stopped breastfeeding altogether, which I planned to do around 6 months. Welp, as fate would have it, I got pregnant in the interim.

SO! Breastfeeding is not a birth control.  :D
  • Options
    DH will eventually be getting a vasectomy. This is our 3rd and last child.
    I used and IUD - Mirena after my last DS.  While it was great not having a period, and after having it for almost 7 years( I had gotten a new one after 5 yrs).  I began to develop a lot of health issues and not knowing if it was from the IUD or not, I got it removed and started feeling better within months.  So knowing how I felt, I dont think I would go back that route and me taking a pill daily would end up with me getting pregnant again since I suck at remembering to take pills. 

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    I have no idea what we are going to do after baby. I don't want to have another for at least 4-5 years, and I don't really like the idea of hormonal birth control again, and I've seen way too many complications of IUDs come through the emerg it makes me nervous to get one... So I guess condoms it is! haha at least until I am done BF and can maybe do NFP/temping accurately. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am so thankful for all of your comments and ideas because I have no idea where I am at on this. It took us 2.5 years total, 1 year after DH's vericocele surgery to get pregnant. He was so hopeful that we could have a baby without IUI/IVF that he resists science (I.e. Semen tests) vehemently since the single one he did to diagnose for the surgery. So we basically don't know our chances now for another without that data; it is obviously possible but could fall into the category of 'miracle'. He has agreed to go get updated numbers, but he also agreed to go get a teeth cleaning and so far I've been waiting for that for 5 years. I have told him we will basically be going to NTNP as soon as medically cleared if I don't have those numbers. We would prefer to spread 2 years or so between births, but not knowing if it will take another extended period of time means I will be rolling the dice sooner, since it is still possible that we will wind up at IUI for the second. Also, he hits 40 next year and I read counts naturally begin to decline at that point. Hopefully he will just go get the test done so we can make an educated decision, and even use condoms. We haven't used anything (besides 'light' timing) in 5+ years so that is likely to be an adjustment in itself.  
    Me 30 | DH 40
    Married April 2013
    TTC #1 since January 2015
    BFP 4/27/2017  - EDD 12/25/2017 - DD born 12/15/2017
    TTC #2 since March 2019
    BFP 7/29/2019 - EDD 4/2/2020