October 2017 Moms

Fast labor hereditary?? I hope so!! Experiences ??

Anyone experience this? Have their sisters/grandmothers/mothers all had fast labors? 

I'm hoping there's a genetic component in my case. My grandmother delivered my aunt  (her first child) in 3 hours. Has no contractions until her water broke. 

My aunt delivered my cousin in 2. Also didn't have contractions until her water broke.  And my mother's water broke at 12:20am. No contractions again prior to this and I was delivered 4:20am!

I am super hopeful theres a corrolation. Anyone else have any similar experiences ? Whether first or second time mom's?? 

Re: Fast labor hereditary?? I hope so!! Experiences ??

• Not my case at all. My mom had my brother in 8ish hours, me in about 7. My sister was her 3rd and took 27 hrs! My daughter was born 22 hrs after my water broke. My sister has a c section after only dilating to a 3 or maybe 5cm 
  • Oh boy!!! That's my biggest fear is a long and exhausting labor. Especially since my friend was dealing with contractions for 3 days before they finally decided to break her water 3 days after! Then another 30 hours of labor!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope you have a smooth and speedy delivery, I just wouldn't count on it because others in your family had it easy. It would sure be awesome if it happened that way though! 
  • I am hoping. I read a few stories about sisters within a family having similar labors so I was wondering if maybe there is a corrolation. Who knows anymore haha 
  • Kind of related... but maybe not, lol :::: I recently read an article about how women in medieval times, with narrow hips and small frames would die in child birth because they couldn't push their baby out. And so their bloodline ended. But now, if you have narrow hips and small frame you have a c-section and your baby girl is likely to have a similar shaped body and require a c-section and so will her daughters. So basically the point of the article was trying to determine if c-sections will become the norm for delivering babies because the majority of women will have narrow hips and small frames, and natural births will become a thing of the past. 

My Mom had my brother in 6hrs, and me in 3hrs. I had my son in 4hrs, all natural births without inductions etc.
  • Lurking from September 17. My mom had all 4 of us pretty fast. My first I was induced and it took 10 hours. My second I was in labor less than 6 hours and when I got to the hospital I was progressing so fast I didn't have time for an epidural. So there may be something to it. 

• ailynk said:
    Kind of related... but maybe not, lol :::: I recently read an article about how women in medieval times, with narrow hips and small frames would die in child birth because they couldn't push their baby out. And so their bloodline ended. But now, if you have narrow hips and small frame you have a c-section and your baby girl is likely to have a similar shaped body and require a c-section and so will her daughters. So basically the point of the article was trying to determine if c-sections will become the norm for delivering babies because the majority of women will have narrow hips and small frames, and natural births will become a thing of the past. 

My Mom had my brother in 6hrs, and me in 3hrs. I had my son in 4hrs, all natural births without inductions etc.
    That's really interesting. I mean we as humans evolve too and considering so many women now seem to be becoming smaller and smaller I can see it!!!  
  • Lurking from September 17. My mom had all 4 of us pretty fast. My first I was induced and it took 10 hours. My second I was in labor less than 6 hours and when I got to the hospital I was progressing so fast I didn't have time for an epidural. So there may be something to it. 

Let's hope!!! 10 hours doesn't seem too long either. And congrats to you!!!
  • My mom had relatively quick labors and my first two were also in the faster side. Keeping my fingers crossed that number three goes as smoothly
  • Not for me. My mom had my sister and I naturally with no meds. Long long labor's, but she did it, we were 8pounds and 7 pounds and change. My sister had a smaller baby at 6 pounds and change by csection since the baby was breech. I had my first by failed induction and csection since she wouldn't drop and was in face presentation. She was also 9 pounds. I'm hoping for a vbac with this baby. 36w 5d today