April 2018 Moms
Options

The Great Stroller Thread

13»

Re: The Great Stroller Thread

• Options
    @JJMNO1616 I think the big difference is the fixed front wheel. Most joggers have the front wheel fixed in one direction which adds a lot of necessary stability for running on uneven surfaces. This is good for jogging and NOT good for maneuvering in small spaces like a grocery store. You basically have to lift the front wheel up and turn the whole thing. I got my regular stoller first (Citi Mini) but I don't think we could have managed with just our jogger for maneuverability reasons. However, I know some running stollers have the option to place the front wheel into a fixed or non-fixed position, which would solve the problem. Other things to consider are that joggers tend to be larger, heavier, and sturdier. Again, good for jogging, not so good for walking up subway stairs or moving through airports, etc.
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 I think the big difference is the fixed front wheel. Most joggers have the front wheel fixed in one direction which adds a lot of necessary stability for running on uneven surfaces. This is good for jogging and NOT good for maneuvering in small spaces like a grocery store. You basically have to lift the front wheel up and turn the whole thing. I got my regular stoller first (Citi Mini) but I don't think we could have managed with just our jogger for maneuverability reasons. However, I know some running stollers have the option to place the front wheel into a fixed or non-fixed position, which would solve the problem. Other things to consider are that joggers tend to be larger, heavier, and sturdier. Again, good for jogging, not so good for walking up subway stairs or moving through airports, etc.
    Thanks for your perspective! This lady is selling a City Mini GT for $170 and I am thinking about it real hard. Seems like a good deal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 We don't have a jogging stroller but we almost got one.  I have the City Mini GT because it has rubber wheels like a jogger but it was cheaper than some of the joggers.  I like the thought of joggers because of the 'all terrain wheels'.  I live in Michigan and my neighborhood doesn't have side walks.  So when we go for walks we are usually in the road or grass.  Good tires make that walk smoother.  Or going to fairs/parks or anywhere that has dirt/grass those wheels are great for.  I guess it just depends on where you live and plan to use your stroller.
  • Options
    mispanda said:
    @JJMNO1616 We don't have a jogging stroller but we almost got one.  I have the City Mini GT because it has rubber wheels like a jogger but it was cheaper than some of the joggers.  I like the thought of joggers because of the 'all terrain wheels'.  I live in Michigan and my neighborhood doesn't have side walks.  So when we go for walks we are usually in the road or grass.  Good tires make that walk smoother.  Or going to fairs/parks or anywhere that has dirt/grass those wheels are great for.  I guess it just depends on where you live and plan to use your stroller.
    I'm looking for something that I can use for walks but also as an everyday stroller. Does the Mini have a fixed front wheel? 
  • Options
    I have the Citi Mini and I love it. I don't think any stroller "has it all," because what you trade in stability you lose in weight, etc., but it really is a great all-purpose stroller. I love that I can fold it up with one hand while holding the baby in the other, I love the ample sun shade, and it has decent storage. The front wheel is not fixed, but I believe depending on the year/model it has the ability to convert to fixed. I think ours does but I could be wrong. I'd take it for a spin, though, and see how it feels to you. 
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 My stroller's front wheel swivels.  I use it for everything. I did have to buy a parent console to hold a water bottle or my keys.  I also bought a child's tray so that my DD could have a snack or put her drink somewhere.  
    Just in case you're not aware  the brand is Baby Jogger but most of their strollers are not meant for jogging.  If I decided I wanted to start running I would have to buy a different stroller.
  • Options
    I have the Citi Mini and I love it. I don't think any stroller "has it all," because what you trade in stability you lose in weight, etc., but it really is a great all-purpose stroller. I love that I can fold it up with one hand while holding the baby in the other, I love the ample sun shade, and it has decent storage. The front wheel is not fixed, but I believe depending on the year/model it has the ability to convert to fixed. I think ours does but I could be wrong. I'd take it for a spin, though, and see how it feels to you. 
    Ok great to know! I was kind of hoping it wasn't fixed actually. I am hesitant to buy this stroller because I haven't tested any yet but it seems to get such good reviews and the lady selling it also has the parent console and adapter for the Chicco car seat available which is the seat I am wanting at the moment.  
  • Options
    Just to clarify, most joggers do not have a fixed front wheel. There are very specific models that have fixed front wheels, and those are geared towards serious runners. You'd have to go out of your way to find one of those. Most standard models of jogging strollers have the OPTION of locking the front wheel, but obviously you don't have to do that. I've never in my life jogged with our jogging strollers, but I could if I wanted to! 
  • Options
    Oh interesting I thought that was sort of their defining feature. That being said, I did basically no research and got a BOB Ironman off of Craigslist. It had a fixed wheel and I thought most do. I am clearly not the expert on these!
  • Options
    Lol, @mountainsmama you happen to have just about the only BOB model with a fixed front wheel ;)
  • Options
    ladythriceladythrice member
    edited October 2017
    kmalls said:
    Just to clarify, most joggers do not have a fixed front wheel. There are very specific models that have fixed front wheels, and those are geared towards serious runners. You'd have to go out of your way to find one of those. Most standard models of jogging strollers have the OPTION of locking the front wheel, but obviously you don't have to do that. I've never in my life jogged with our jogging strollers, but I could if I wanted to! 
    Yes, wss!!

Also, we have the City Select and we also have the option for locked front wheels if we want. Lots of the Baby Jogger brand strollers come with the option to lock the front wheel. I hate a locked front wheel though... but I don't use our stroller for jogging either lol

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 We have a city mini gt and a jogging stroller (I won the jogging stroller). If I wasn’t a jogger, I’d just stick with the city mini gt. Both strollers ride exceptionally smoothly, and they both seem equally sturdy. The swivel wheel is great for maneuvering around. My jogging stroller has the option of a locked or swivel wheel and even when I’m jogging I only use the swivel wheel on dirt paths and bumpy trails. I’m a slowish runner, and on smooth sidewalks I don’t need the front wheel locked. The city mini gt is lighter than our jogging stroller, so it tends to get more use when we travel. Jogging strollers also tend to have air filled tires, which I think are a little less “all terrain” than the tires on the city mini gt. With air filled tires, flats are a risk. You don’t have to worry about flats on the city mini gt. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ok Uppababy users--Cruz or Vista? I'm leaning towards the Cruz bc of the price and bc it seems like the only advantage of the vista is that it holds two kids. This is our first, and while we are planning on a second, we don't know when that will be. Does it really make sense to spend the extra money for a feature we might not need? Or are there other benefits to the vista that I'm not considering? 

Just for for some perspective, I applied to one school for my undergrad degree and only two grad schools. I've spent far more time researching baby gear that I ever did on researching my higher ed institutions
  • Options
    mcg920 said:
    Ok Uppababy users--Cruz or Vista? I'm leaning towards the Cruz bc of the price and bc it seems like the only advantage of the vista is that it holds two kids. This is our first, and while we are planning on a second, we don't know when that will be. Does it really make sense to spend the extra money for a feature we might not need? Or are there other benefits to the vista that I'm not considering? 

Just for for some perspective, I applied to one school for my undergrad degree and only two grad schools. I've spent far more time researching baby gear that I ever did on researching my higher ed institutions
    Lord I just looked up the price of the Vista and its gone up even since my DS was born 3 years ago lol. $900 bucks for a stroller. That sucker better push itself!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Something we did that helped us pick our stroller (CityMiniGT) was going to Baby's R Us and testing out the strollers on display. You can take them down, push them around, see how heavy they are, what the come with etc. 
  • Options
    Anyone looking into the Nuna Tavo? DH and I have gone test driving some strollers and liked it the best- the suspension is great! We will probably buy a used BOB to supplement for hiking etc but I was really impressed with the stroller and it seems much cheaper than other strollers in its class (UPPAbaby etc). 
  • Options
    Has anyone here used the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat with the City Mini GT stroller? My husband and I went to Buy Buy Baby today and we like those two options separately but the reviews I have been reading about the adapter for the stroller are really bad. 
  • Options
    @mcg920 we went for the CRUZ with our first mainly due to price but I wish we went ahead and got the vista. Now that we’ll have 2 under 2, we need a double stroller and just bought the vista. So in the end we are spending more. We are hoping to resell our CRUZ but I doubt we’ll get much for it. 
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 I do! We had no problems!! We will use the same thing for this baby!
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 I don’t personally have that, but my SIL has that exact combo and she says they’ve never had any issues with the adapter at all. 
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 we have that exact combo and had no problems. We love the KeyFit and City Mini GT so much! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi everyone, pretty new the Bump, but I need some stroller advice. My husband I live in NYC, we do own a car but we don't use it that often, maybe a few times a month or less. We are in 5 story walk up-no elevator:( I thought we had decided between the Uppababy Vista and the Britax B-Ready, but the more I think about, the more I think it's not a good choice. I'm looking for a lightweight stroller with a bassinet, being able to walk around with the baby the first few months is essential for me and from I understand a car seat is not that great for that. We could be OK with a convertible car seat being that we don't use the car that often, but weight and ability to fold is important-I want to be able to take public transportation and possible even bring the stroller up stairs. 

Any recommendations from city parents out there?

I hope everyone is f
  • Options
    @shawquist Based on the research I have done and what other ladies have said here it sounds like the City Mini would work perfectly for you with the exception of the bassinet. I don't think you can attach a bassinet on the city mini, I think you can only attach a car seat although I could be completely wrong. The city mini is super light weight though and can easily be folded/carried. I read that the Vista is very heavy so I don't think you would want to go that route.  
  • Options
    shawquist said:
    Hi everyone, pretty new the Bump, but I need some stroller advice. My husband I live in NYC, we do own a car but we don't use it that often, maybe a few times a month or less. We are in 5 story walk up-no elevator:( I thought we had decided between the Uppababy Vista and the Britax B-Ready, but the more I think about, the more I think it's not a good choice. I'm looking for a lightweight stroller with a bassinet, being able to walk around with the baby the first few months is essential for me and from I understand a car seat is not that great for that. We could be OK with a convertible car seat being that we don't use the car that often, but weight and ability to fold is important-I want to be able to take public transportation and possible even bring the stroller up stairs. 

Any recommendations from city parents out there?

I hope everyone is f
    I talked to my car-less mama friend in Chicago. She tried several strollers but found the ergo carrier to be more convenient than a stroller in the early days. Once baby got to 8-9 months she loved her chicco umbrella stroller. She actually sold her city mini because it just didn’t fill her need and wasn’t worth the expense. 
  • Options
    @shawquist I second @riversdoctor. In addition to a stroller, I would get a good baby carrier so you can wear baby as an option, also. 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options
    @shawquist I second baby wearing, especially in the beginning and then the GB Pockit Stroller is amazing once baby can sit-up and doesn’t take up a ton of space. We wish we got ours sooner.
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 thank you for asking that - that’s the exact combo we are looking at! A close friend loves her City Mini GT but she has a Maxi Cosi car seat so I was wondering the same thing re: the Chicco. Also, I was looking for a bassinet for the City Mini and am pretty sure this is the one... https://www.toysrus.com/buy/carrycots-second-seats/baby-jogger-compact-pram-bassinet-for-city-mini-single-double-stroller-black-grey-bj95180-97960756
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 thank you for asking that - that’s the exact combo we are looking at! A close friend loves her City Mini GT but she has a Maxi Cosi car seat so I was wondering the same thing re: the Chicco. Also, I was looking for a bassinet for the City Mini and am pretty sure this is the one... https://www.toysrus.com/buy/carrycots-second-seats/baby-jogger-compact-pram-bassinet-for-city-mini-single-double-stroller-black-grey-bj95180-97960756
    What do you think the benefit of having the bassinet is? I was kind of thinking that if we had the adapter for the car seat it would basically be the same thing... they just wouldn't be laying down completely flat?  
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @JJMNO1616 yeah I guess I was thinking for taking walks from the house instead of strapping baby into the carseat and so they could lay flat ... but it’s prob mostly a frivolous want since I love the look of prams, lol. Prob one of those things that I won’t be upset if we don’t get off the registry and won’t buy for ourselves if we don’t - a would like to have as opposed to a need to have. 

ETA written by a true clueless FTM  :D
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • Options
    We loved the bassinet attachment. We had a britax car seat stroller but my baby hated the car seat. It was okay if he was sleeping like transferring from the car to the stroller. I could never manage a long walk with him until we got a used city mini w bassinet. 

IM not sure what to buy for a stroller now. I'll likely have two under two for the first month. But my toddler is huge aleady almost 30 pounds at 18 months. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Bump for new interest. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the new Uppababy 2018 models?