February 2018 Moms

Registry thread

124»

Re: Registry thread

• Hello!

Have any of you heard anything about the Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing?

I put the Fisher Price My Little Lamb on my registry because everyone I know uses that swing.

But the price is a little better on the Graco (and there are elephants, which is absolutely the main reason I am considering switching. But obviously if it doesn't work as well than that would be the end of it).
    I'm not familiar with that grace swing but I know plenty who have the Fisher price one you listed.

My biggest suggestion, make sure, whichever you choose, has a plug in option. My daughter LOVED her swing. I'd go through buckets of batteries in a week. I couldn't even keep up with rechargeables. I was kicking myself for not investing in a model that could be used with batteries or a plug in adapter.
  • @sugarcoateddonut I couldn’t agree more about the batteries! Plug in is a must for sure. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just went and checked that ours has an AC adapter.  Hadn't thought of that.  Thanks for the heads up @jlcrunchberry!!
  • @ramzlau we have 4 Britax clicktight seats (2 boulevards and 2 frontiers), and I absolutely love them!  They do make the seat heavier, but these are seats you wouldn’t be moving very often anyway. Latch connectors are not proven to be any safer than seatbelts, and they are always very difficult for me to install and remove (maybe I have fat fingers?!). And as another poster mentioned, latch can be used only up to a certain weight limit. We always have a child in the middle seat, so having clicktight enables us to do that easily when latch isn’t an option. I feel very confident that clicktight provides a very secure install, and it takes much less time for me to “get it right” than the latch or usual seatbelt method.

• @sugarcoateddonut honestly the mamaroo is worth its weight in gold. I told DH that was our life or death purchase for survival of a baby. 
  •  What is the deal with the baby bjorn? We were gifted a used one today,  and i used one for all my older kids,  but i thought i read somewhere they aren't good for babies hips?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  •  What is the deal with the baby bjorn? We were gifted a used one today,  and i used one for all my older kids,  but i thought i read somewhere they aren't good for babies hips?
    If the baby is not in a sitting position, or is hanging from his/her crotch it is bad for their hips. Or that was my understanding? Usually when the baby is facing out that is the issue. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    It has to do with that it doesn't have an adequate seat that spreads thier hope far enough apart. Having a carrier that is a crotch dangler has the potential to cause hip dysplasia. My daughter was in a hip spica car from a broken femur but it is similar to the car they use for hip dysplasia and I can promise you that even the chance of hip dysplasia is not worth it

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• @jlcrunchberry @Starynightsky24 Thanks for you input! I think we will stick with the Fisher Price - I would rather use what's well known than take a chance.

@SunflowerMama428 The Mamaroo looks very cool. We saw one for the first time this week when we made a trip down to the states! My aunts told me they would like to go in together and get me a swing, so I didn't want to ask for the most expensive one. But from the reviews on the Bump, it might be worth buying ourselves if LO doesn't take to the Fisher Price one.

• @sugarcoateddonut I ended up buying a regular baby swing and ended up switching and buying the mamaroo. I agree I thought it was too expensive but DS didn’t take to the swing at all and the mamaroo was more comforting to him. We also hooked an iPod to it. Old T Swift was his favorite. Lol
  • Idk if this is the best thread for it, but I just signed up for amazon prime and started my registry yesterday. (fun!) I am curious about baby skin care. Do you actually need baby specific products? I don't know that I'd put them on the registry anyway, but this seemed like the best thread to ask about it in.

For example, I use cetaphil cream that comes in a plastic tub for my body after showers. Dermatologists have recommended this since I get reactions and have sensitive skin. Can I just use that on baby?

Also, I see the active ingredient for most diaper creams is zinc oxide. Plus usually some other mix of emollients. Do you think there's anything wrong with just using a tube of zinc oxide ointment instead of a diaper specific one? I used to use it on blisters to dry them out when I did ballet (a hundred years ago), and now it's in our first aid kit for burns and such. It's very soothing and doesn't sting at all and helps healing. What do you think? 

In general, are there any baby-specific products that are actually different and necessary? Or do you think as long as something has no added fragrance and color and it's safe for sensitive skin it's fine to use on baby instead of buying a whole separate product?
  • alice0218 said:
    Idk if this is the best thread for it, but I just signed up for amazon prime and started my registry yesterday. (fun!) I am curious about baby skin care. Do you actually need baby specific products? I don't know that I'd put them on the registry anyway, but this seemed like the best thread to ask about it in.

For example, I use cetaphil cream that comes in a plastic tub for my body after showers. Dermatologists have recommended this since I get reactions and have sensitive skin. Can I just use that on baby?

Also, I see the active ingredient for most diaper creams is zinc oxide. Plus usually some other mix of emollients. Do you think there's anything wrong with just using a tube of zinc oxide ointment instead of a diaper specific one? I used to use it on blisters to dry them out when I did ballet (a hundred years ago), and now it's in our first aid kit for burns and such. It's very soothing and doesn't sting at all and helps healing. What do you think? 

In general, are there any baby-specific products that are actually different and necessary? Or do you think as long as something has no added fragrance and color and it's safe for sensitive skin it's fine to use on baby instead of buying a whole separate product?
    Other than coconut oil I haven’t used regular products on my kids... most are diluted a bit. You could probably do it yourself but I’d ask your pediatrician first. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @alice0218, I think the baby products are just more for sensitive skin. If you already have sensitive skin and are using products for it, you should be fine. I think most non sensitive skin stuff is fine for most babies as well. IMO, It is mostly marketing for a lot of the baby products. 
  • @Starynightsky24 good idea to run it by a pediatrician. I'll do that when we find one.

@lainikins That is what I was thinking, too, probably a marketing thing more than anything. In general, I think the fewer ingredients the better and if I'm already using really minimal products it should be the same or better than baby-oriented stuff. I will check with the pediatrician too when I have one.

Thank you!
  • This is baby #5 for us and there's always some big new "must have" for each baby. Lol. I've seen some great ideas on here!! The only thing on my "must have" list for this baby is a Haakaa breast pump. I've heard so many great things about them. It also doesn't have to be that brand. There's a few options on Amazon. 
  • @momto4-2 my friend who just had her second baby recommended I get a haakaa or two too. Her only regret is she didn’t get it with lids. So I registered for 2 with lids. Seems genius!

Also she recommended the snooza, which a motion sensor that clips on the diaper. She said she’s only had one false alarm and it was because it wasn’t clipped on correctly. That’s on my registry too!
  • I talked DH into getting the 4moms self installing car seat. Does anyone have any thoughts on this seat? It’s expensive but I like that it tightens and adjusts it self to the right settings. 
  • @alice0218 I put the snooza on my registry too, glad to hear good feedback. It's a lot cheaper than the Owelet too!

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18