May 2018 Moms
Options

Talk me down off the ledge...HCG...twins...

So I had my first apt and blood draw Monday. Today I got the results and everything was good... though I just had to ask about twins/HCG levels/etc. given my advanced maternal age and all that (insert eye roll). The nurse did say they were on the higher side (44k) for being 7 weeks along (7 weeks yesterday). 

So someone tell me I'm worrying for no reason and there's probably just 1, very healthy, little bub in there... :D:D

Re: Talk me down off the ledge...HCG...twins...

• Options
    I've been doing my own research, since my mom's mom was a fraternal twin, so I have a higher chance of having twins as well. Elevated HCG can be caused by multiples, but it is possible even with a singleton. Also, symptoms usually are more extreme, but sometimes they can be practically non existent with multiples. Every pregnancy is different, both symptom-wise and HCG-wise. So, there's no for sure way to tell until your first US. I know, not much help, huh? I go in for my blood draw next week and I'm interested to see what my HCG levels are as well. I'm just a couple days behind you. :)
    BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are your cycles regular? are you sure of how far along you are (either through charting or dating u/s)? If I take my starting hcg or my second draw (which had more than doubled in 48 hrs) I'm getting right around 44k around 7 months. I don't think it's twins. I think you can safely step off the ledge lol
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    7 weeks is based off my lmp...I know when I ovulated and conceived and if I go by that I'm closer to 6 1/2 weeks. Sigh... I'll just try not to get myself into a tizzy... ultrasound apt is Tuesday. *let there be one... let there be one*
  • Options
    There's no way for sure to tell other than an ultrasound. 
    My oldest was a twin and my levels were never "zomg sooOoOo high", then I had my youngest and my numbers were quadrupling instead of doubling and she's just a singleton. 

• Options
    Thanks ladies. Twins clearly is a bit of a trigger for me...
  • Options
     and Google was yielding me very few answers... so off to y'all 
  • Options
    I have way more symptoms way earlier than I did with either of my other pregnacies, so I'm up on that ledge with you. That ultrasound can't come soon enough!
  • Options
    I have way more symptoms way earlier than I did with either of my other pregnacies, so I'm up on that ledge with you. That ultrasound can't come soon enough!
    Here... take my hand... let me help you down  :D:D
  • Options
    I've read all the things. The scientist part of me says STFU all these things could mean nothing! But the emotional part of me, says yeah but what
    if?!?!? Endless repeats.
  • Options
    Ha ha, not only could mean nothing but *PROBABLY* mean nothing. But maybe it means it's a boy! Please stop
  • Options
    HCG isn't the best indicator so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it is twins I wouldn't stress too much. You'll adjust no matter what. Of course, this is coming from a woman who's never had twins, so maybe I shouldn't assume!! 
  • Options
    With my first when I went in for our first ultrasound the NP said to me "your HCG was high let's make sure there's just one baby in there." At no point did I even consider I might be having twins so I was in shock when she said that! And there was only one baby  :)
  • Options
    I had ridiculously high HCG levels and there is only one baby in there.  Don't google it. scary stuff comes up. I hate google but it's a dirty habit.   My dr said there is no correlation between HCG and twins.  Sometimes it's high with twins, sometimes average, sometimes low. 
  • Options
    It is so reassuring to read all your comments. My HcG was 886 at 4 weeks and 4441 at 4w4d. My doctor said it's multiples for sure, and it very well could be, since we did Gamete IntraFallopian Transfer, with 7 good eggs. She immediately started telling me about "reductions" and how dangerous it will be for me if there are more than two! Way to spoil the moment. But after reading all this I'm not sure there's even more than one, I'll just have to wait and see. U/s scan on 10/20. Fingers crossed  B)