December 2017 Moms

Visitors at the hospital/at home

I have seen some posts in various threads about having people visit at the hospital, or at home after the birth and I thought maybe this topic deserved its own discussion. Ladies, I am here to tell you that this is your experience and you are absolutely allowed to say what you do and don't want. Some people love a delivery room full of people and don't care if their FIL is there while their cervix is getting checked or they are getting stitched up post-delivery. Yay for those people and you do you.

HOWEVER

If you don't want a bunch of people on crotch watch, or running into the room right after you squeezed an 8 pound baby out of your vag or had a csection, or staying in your home expecting you to entertain them/hand over your baby (even though they swear they are just there to help) while you figure out breastfeeding and change your giant postpartum pads...that is totally your call. You get one chance to experience this birth and postpartum time. There is no do over. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and your baby. You can do it in a way that is firm yet respectful and if people aren't respectful in return, they are telling you something about themselves that it is valuable to learn before the baby gets here.

[Stepping off soapbox]

Re: Visitors at the hospital/at home

• I think pregnancy is a true test of people's character. My husband and I come from completely different cultures. His family expects to come stay with us right when we bring baby home and they would all happily show up at the hospital, kids too, to watch me Labor. My family, on the other hand, is about privacy and if I say leave me alone they will, no questions asked. It's hard to explain to someone that you and the baby need space. I guess it really says something if they are offended by your preference. It really puts stress on me having this baby knowing I'm going to piss of his entire family. 
  • We went on a maternity tour of the hospital last night and I was really relieved to hear that they only allow three designated "support people" in the labor and birth room, and for a C-section, one support person in the operating room and two in the recovery room. They also do not allow any additional visitors for at least an hour after the babies are born. I think in general my family and DH's family will be respectful of my privacy, but twins are probably going to be a bit of a spectacle so I think I could get a decent amount of visitors. Aside from our immediate family, I just don't plan to tell anyone the babies have been born until the next day, then I think I'll be happy to see people.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was so anxious about visitors. First of off I had an unplanned, emergency c section. I posted on Facebook that we were about to have the baby and we would not welcome visitors until the following day. Of course my mom and my mil and fil were there the whole time BUT the in laws saw her while I was in recovery and then they left to give us time. 

Set your rules. Tell people before hand. And.... your nurses can be the bitch. They will totally do that for you. Tell them you don't want visitors and they'll send people away. 

I also asked people to leave when it was time to breastfeed. Ain't no body got no time to be entertaining when baby is hungry. 

Our hospital has "rest time" every day and there are no visitors allowed. Just check with your hospital and see what they allow and don't. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I Intend to be fully honest with people this time round and do what I want to do, and feel at ease and relaxed with my choice.
    With my first son we lived with my parents as we were waiting to move into our new house and my mother is extremely controlling. Right from the start she told me that she was going to be with us in the delivery room. Hubby and I were adamant that we just wanted it to be an intimate and special experience just the two of us, but I knew my mum would throw a hissy fit if I told her she couldn't be there. When it came to the day, I had to rush to the hospital when she eventually left the house to go food shopping and didn't let her know anything until I'd had him a few hrs later. My hubby rang her and said it was all a mad rush and there was no phone signal in the hospital to ring her. At least we managed to have it our way, but it was extremely stressful trying to act like I wasn't having contractions and waiting to escape. Safe to say I've learnt from my mistake and this time she's been put on stay at home babysitting duties thank God  :D.
    Trust me ladies, you do things your way and don't let people control your birth, you really don't need that pressure.
    Apologies for the long boring story :) 
  • @kvacmack makes a great point--who is coming to stay can make a big difference. We live away from both of our families, so neither was at the hospital (and if we had still been living near them I probably wouldn't have told anyone I went into labor if I thought they wouldn't respect our wishes not to show up). I didn't want anyone there but DH. My parents came up for one night the day we got out of the hospital and brought us dinner that night. My Dh's parents came a few weeks after DD was born and stayed for about 6 weeks BUT they came because we asked them to. I needed to be back at work 2 days a week and DD was too little to go to daycare. They took short weekend trips just about every weekend so that we did get some time away from each other, they helped cook and clean up, and they helped walk DD around when she was fed and dry but wouldn't sleep. It's still somewhat hard having people in your house for that long (for me, anyway), but our house is big enough so that we didn't feel like we were on top of each other all the time, and they were a big help to us. 

This time, my mom will come up for my scheduled c-section to be with DD and stay a few days while we are in the hospital. DH's parents will come up around New Year's and will help out when I go back to work in January. (I'd be fine with them not coming til closer til I go back to work, but they are eager to see DD and the new babe since their last visit was at the beginning of August.) Since we live in the south and they live up north, they will be happy to get away from the real winter weather. They'll probably take some weekend trips again and then go down to visit family in Florida once the baby is old enough for daycare. No one will be at the hospital and I will not have my mom bring DD by until DH and I have had some time alone with the baby. Luckily, everyone is on board with our plan. 

Also, DH is super supportive and will totally tell his parents to get out if I need him to (sometimes he takes this a little too far). He adores his parents, but he is solidly on my team and will support me 100%. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Last time we had some visitors at the hospital, but no one really over stayed their welcome. I should also say my water broke a day before my scheduled C/S, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with anything. It was NBD for us. Then when we had visitors at the house they brought me food, and never really over stayed their welcome either, so it was a win win. This time I'm sure it will be the same story, although I'm not sure how close EDD is to the holidays will play a role, but still I'm sure I'll be happy if they bring me food. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Do NOT allow someone to stay in your home if they are not going to actually HELP you. Holding the baby so you can make dinner or do laundry, etc. is not helping. We were SO lucky that both of our mothers were absolute godsends and let us do our thing and get into the groove and being parents while they were there to truly offer actual help and support.

snip
    Right on. I think this is key for me.  If I thought for a second that my mom or MIL would actually be helpful, I would love for them to come stay.  But my mom will just sit there and like Statler and Waldorf make comments about the ways I'm fucking up (she would think it's hilarious), and my MIL would just do the "hold the baby" thing while I do all the housework.  I'd rather just be by myself with H and baby, making the best of that time to bond and get our bearings, than have to deal with either of them or get any housework done.  And I don't give two shits if that hurts their feelings.  If they really cared they would change their behaviors/attitudes about the whole thing and offer to do concrete tasks while here.

My sister would be genuinely and truly helpful, but she has 3 kids of her own and this will be the holidays so basically, no in-home overnight visitors for me!

Last night H brought up them coming the weekend before Christmas to stay (this is our tradition with them) and I just wanted to be like, "Dude, what part of no visitors for a month do you not understand??" but I was like, "Let's not make plans. We'll see."

Also, I found some info on due dates that I'll put over in the Symptoms thread. Relevant because we have no idea when baby will come relative to Thanksgiving and Christmas, but maybe math can help me have more realistic expectations :lol:  And H too!

Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart