May 2017 Moms
Options

Baby cries so hard during sleep training she stops breathing for a second

We just started the ferber method with my 4 month old and while she has fallen asleep right away with dad with minimal fussing,  she literally screams bloody murder with me. Today I noticed on the monitor she kept on falling asleep then startling herself to wake and when I went in to check on her I realized she was waking up because she had stopped breathing for a second!!

Any advice?? Yes we're setting time limits and yes I'm going in to comfort her periodically.  Also I asked my mom (a veteran mom of 8) and she said she's fine,  it's normal for babies to do that when they're that upset and I should have left her in there and let her learn to comfort herself.  

Also, I'm only interested in CIO or sleep training advice. If you're anti CIO our opinions differ so please don't comment. 

Re: Baby cries so hard during sleep training she stops breathing for a second

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you noticing this just at bedtime or are you using sleep training for naps as well? When I did sleep training with my older son (not cio)  it was recommended to start in the morning with your methods. Not to wait until bedtime when they are over tired. 

If your baby is so upset that she stops breathing please go get her immediately. She needs you, she's just a baby.

I agree with others that it may be too early. My ds currently wakes up every 1.5 hours at night so I'm desperate for sleep as well but I plan to wait a few more weeks. I don't want to do it now unsuccessfully and then have to do it again. 
  • Options
    If the startle reflex is waking her up you could try the baby Merlin magic sleep suit. 
  • Options
    Being a veteran mom of 8 doesn't make you a child expert. What you're doing is wrong, I hope things have improved.