Should I delay getting pregnant due to frequent colds and infections? — The Bump
Health & Exercise

Should I delay getting pregnant due to frequent colds and infections?

beeblybeebly member
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited August 2017 in Health & Exercise
I work in a school and have a toddler in preschool, so I get sick a LOT, like 1-2 colds or infections per month - nothing serious, and usually not requiring antibiotics or any meds, but still clearly sickness. I know this is not uncommon given my exposure to kid-germs, but DH and I would like to start trying for another baby, and I was wondering if being sick so frequently could endanger the baby?

I know occasional colds during pregnancy are no big deal, but I'm worried about having so many, and potentially exacerbating their severity while pregnant b/c my immunity will be weaker and, with a full-time job and a toddler running around this time, I won't be able to get much additional sleep like I did with my first pregnancy. Is this something I should be worried about? For reasons of spacing and our own ages, we don't want to wait too much longer to try to expand our family, but I also don't want to risk putting my baby in danger, and could potentially wait a year or two in the hope that my own immune system will get stronger by then.