March 2018 Moms
Options

TW Moms with mental health issues

So I have OCD, which contributed to a major depressive episode several years ago. I take Prozac and have built up my self-care toolkit a ton and through lots of therapy my OCD is now sub-clinical. I do constantly fear a depression relapse because that was horrible. While I don't think I am relapsing or anything like that, I just have to vent because this pregnancy is just so triggering! The vomiting, nausea, and sheer exhaustion.... especially the sleepiness and lack of energy to do things I would otherwise do... it's just such a reminder of what that felt like several years ago. Anyone experiencing anything similar?  

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

Re: TW Moms with mental health issues

• Options
    @mintea (hugs) we had a Mental Health Check-in thread going a while back.  It might be a good idea to start it up again so we can all check in.  I have a history of depression and anxiety and have been battling that during this pregnancy.  As far as the OCD, I'm sure you're not alone.  Hang in there....
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Same, I have OCD, CD, and GAD. I have been on Paxil and a variation of either valium or adderall to control the symptoms for years. I had to stop all my meds at 5wks. I have the same fears. It was a total nightmare going off my meds when I was pregnant with #2, I came very close to being hospitalized on several occasions. Surprisingly this time has been easier, even in spite of having a toddler and 6 year old at home, I was expecting a hard time. I see a therapist weekly and was told I can take my valium in emergency situations. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are not alone. GAD and OCD here. My OCD has been.... less when it comes to my usual obsessions (because I'm too exhausted to be sanitizing my home and children like I usually do), but obsessing over PGAL stuff is going strong which also triggers my anxiety, big time. My kids both going to school this year has my anxiety sky rocketing both because of emotions AND germs (ugh). 

I am not on medication at this time. I usually wean pre-pregnancy (because I worry otherwise, go figured right??!!) but then I end up back on something usually 1-3ish months PP.  :/

I would love for the check in to come back! 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv  Maybe we can do the check-in monthly?  I can start one for September...
  • Options
    I have excoriation disorder (a skin picking compulsive disorder) and C-PTSD from my childhood. I've noticed my picking has gotten much worse since finding out. I think it's a way for me to feel control over my body. My C-PTSD is going to play a big role when trying to allow my parents to be grandparents. I'd love to do a check in if you guys will have me.

Me: 25 | DH: 32
    TTC #1: November 2016
    IF Dx NIR PCOS: March 2017
    BFP: June 2017 | DS: February 2018
  • Options
  • Options
    I have a history of anxiety and depression, although my anxiety has strangely been mellowed out so far during the pregnancy. I assume it's hormonal but whatever it is I'm thankful for it. I was also diagnosed with PTSD several years ago, which I think exacerbates both. I took medication for a while but am not currently. Might address that with my doctor again post-pregnancy, because I've had therapists (and friends) say that my hesitance to take something is probably a sign that I *need* to take something. Does that make sense? Anyway, totally down for a mental health check-in. And sending love, virtual hugs, and encouragement to all of you!! You're doing amazing, ladies.
  • Options
    I was taking Zoloft for PPA but the throwing up has gotten so bad that I couldn't keep it down anyway so I start a prescription for Zofran today. Hopefully my anxiety is manageable. 
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Everyone and every doctor is different but I have OCD, Depression and Bipolar and I take meds for all 3. My OB and my psychiatrist both have approved me staying on my meds during my pregnancy with my first and now my second. The benefits outweighed the risks (to me) and I had zero PPD after my first was born and I believe it was because I stayed on my meds. This is just my experience, I know everyone has different opinions and that's okay! Just wanted to let you know it will all be alright!
  • Options
    Happy September, everyone!  The monthly MH check-in has been posted.  Feel free to check-in or repost your message there as well. :smile: