1st Trimester
Options

Anti-Depressant Use?

I got a BFP on 8/26 and am over the moon! I've been on Citalopram (generic for Celexa) for a little over a year now for depression. While we were TTC earlier this year, I asked my GP whether I should consider weaning or not and he said it's really up to me to weigh which risk I feel is more important: possible relapse or possible problems with the baby. I set up my first prenatal appointment this morning for a couple weeks from now and am waiting on a call back to discuss the medicine with my OBGYN, but wanted to see if anyone on here had any experience with a Class C drug and pregnancy.

I had un-diagnosed post-partum depression layered on of depression from our early loss in 2013, layered on 12 years of grief that was never dealt with after losing my mom to breast cancer when I was 18. I hit rock bottom in 2016 and I hit it hard. I talked to a therapist to help me properly deal with my grief and was given Citalopram. It was rough to get on, but now that I'm adjusted, I feel like my old self again! I am terrified of the weaning process (I've heard it can be worse than getting on the medicine) and am scared that I will regress back to the mental state I was before and/or go through post-partum depression again. However, I don't want my selfishness to keep my mental self happy to cause any possible side effects to baby.
BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Best Answers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you @meggyme I hadn't thought about switching medicines. I will definitely ask if that's an option. Thank you!

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
  • Options
    Just in case anyone is looking for answer, my Doctor said that it would be safe. Of course, always contact your doctor, but if you're looking for other mom's experiences, this is mine!

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18