January 2018 Moms
Options

Pregnancy Questions and Concerns: Week of 8/27-9/2

Got questions or concerns? Crowd source some answers here!
DS1: Nov. 2013
DS2: Jan. 2016
DS3: Dec. 2017
Baby #4 on the way!

Re: Pregnancy Questions and Concerns: Week of 8/27-9/2

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Not a question or concern, but for those having cramping my friend had a lot of cramping and it was because she was flooding her body with TO much water and not getting enough electrolytes and the nutrients were being flushed out of her body. Doctor put her on electrolyte tablets to add to her water. Just a heads up :)

*edit, I added to many O's on my To lol*
  • Options
    I was having that too. I added about one gatorade every other day and it helped a ton.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Question re: Hypnobabies/Hypnobirthing:

I know we discussed on a thread a LONG time ago, but could we get a refresher on who is a STM and a fan? Anyone who learned one of these methods and felt it wasn't worthwhile? 

Of those who have done Hypnobabies, do you think the self-study is as rewarding as the classes (or close)? I would miss at least 2 of the 6 Saturday classes (maybe 3), so I'm trying to determine if self-study is a better route. That said, I focus much better in a classroom setting. Would love any tips (and of course, I will re-read old threads as well). 

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in a Hypnobabies thread (ongoing, maybe monthly or biweekly?), let me know - I would be but don't want to create any disorganization if there isn't much interest.
  • Options
    missblazemissblaze member
    edited September 2017

@libbberty STM here, I did Hypnobabies Home Study last time and loved it. I think it's definitely worthwhile. I ended up with a C-section due to breech presentation, but it worked so well that I didn't even know I was in labor and I was laughing and talking up until 7cm when I walked myself into the OR for surgery. The nurses were amazed. I was very comfortable.

I am doing the Hypnobabies Home Study again (the new 7th edition). IMO, if you're going to miss any of the classes, go with the Home Study; every class has very important information and practice of specific Hypnobabies tools. You have to be really good about listening to the tracks daily, but it works if you are committed. If you go onto the Hypnobabies website, you can read many of the birth stories -- they're great!

I'm definitely down with a Hypnobabies thread. At least biweekly.

ETA: link

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    @libbberty I've practiced hypnobabies during my pregnancies, though not during my labors if that makes sense, and I STILL think it's so worthwhile and an amazing program.  I'll be following the homestudy course again this time and I've been listening to my pregnancy affirmations almost since I got the positive test (they're my favorite). I'd definitely be down for a check-in thread.  And I agree with @missblaze if you're going to be missing classes homestudy is probably a better option.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations on what book to use for home study? I'll probably be listening to most of it in my car during my long commute and the exercises (I'm assuming it has exercises to practice with) at home. 
    I would be interested in a thread as well. 
  • Options

@madcouplewithabox If you're talking about Hypnobabies, you need to order the actual Home Study from their website. It's not just a book, it's a full childbirth education course with specific mp3s to listen to daily. The ONLY track you can listen to in the car is the Pregnancy Affirmations. You cannot listen to any of the hypnosis tracks while driving -- it's dangerous. Here's a link to the Home Study course:

https://www.hypnobabies-store.com/Products-Home-Study-Courses.html

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @missblaze good to know! Thank you:)
  • Options
    @madcouplewithabox I listen to the Pregnancy Affirmations every morning on my way to work. It's about 41 minutes long. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @missblaze @KatieEl thank you for the input! @missblaze that is exactly the experience I am seeking from Hypnobabies - to help me get to the hospital without being in severe pain or stress (or showing up 20 hours too early). I have a pretty low pain tolerance, but at the same time, strong perseverance/mental grit, so I'm hoping to learn how to build on that and also love the idea that it advocates for a pregnancy/labor without fear. I think, based on your comments, I am going to interview a doula here who leads the course and ask her if she could come meet with my husband twice (assuming she's a good fit) instead of the group lesson. Then I could home study but also feel less "on my own" about it and more accountable to getting it done.

Ladies, I'll start a thread to go up around the 1st and 15th of each month and we can see how it goes in terms of participation! If you have any ideas for good starter questions since you have more experience, let me know here or via message, otherwise I'll just wing it and modify as we go. Look for it to start in mid-September.
  • Options
    @libbberty That sounds like a great idea! Many Home Study mamas choose to meet with an instructor for a "Home Study Advantage" class (basically a single session to answer any questions and fill in any gaps).

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Herbal tea? I like Trader Joe's mint melange, which is Peppermint, spearmint and lemongrass. I only just heard that lemongrass was a no no. Anyone have a good alternative? :(
  • Options
    @libbberty and any other mamas interested in Hypnobabies -- there is going to be a labor day sale 20% off the Home Study course.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @missblaze I remember reading some of the hypnobabies stuff last time but don't remember too much about it. I thought it was breathing/relaxing techniques? But I wondered how you got so far along into labor without knowing it by using hypnobabies? I'd love to hear more of your testimony using it!!
  • Options
    edited September 2017

@GraceUponGrace09 Hypnobabies is much more than breathing/relaxing techniques! It's a full childbirth course that uses real medical grade-hypnosis to help facilitate a shorter, easier and more comfortable birth. Most women go into childbirth expecting unbearable pain, which primes the brain to recognize it as such. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy - when you go into something expecting great pain, your body tenses up, which plays a role in creating the pain. The hypnosis re-trains your brain to recognize contractions as simply pressure/squeezing and helps keep you relaxed during labor.

When I say medical-grade hypnosis, I mean the same hypnosis techniques that are used with people who need surgery but are unable to use anesthesia (due to allergy or another medical issue).

For me, I studied Hypnobabies when I was pregnant with DD, but like I said, I needed a C-section due to breech presentation. However, it definitely worked and I plan on using it again. I didn't even know I was in labor, I was just having what I experienced as mild period cramps. When I was checked at the hospital and was 7cm, the nurses were all very shocked because I was so calm and chatty.

There's a ton of info on the Hypnobabies website, including birth stories! I recommend checking it out.

ETA: link https://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @missblaze Thanks for the information! I'll definitely be checking it out, especially since they are/will be running a sale. 
    I am curious though: how did you know to go to the hospital when the pain was so bearable? 
  • Options

@GraceUponGrace09 Haha good question. I was working that day and just wasn't feeling it (I had been feeling mild period cramps all night, but nothing too out of the norm, but I hadn't slept well) so I called my OB to let her know about the cramps. I *knew* she would ask me to come in since DD was breech, and I would be able to get out of work. I know, I was a bad employee ;)

The OB at the office asked me to come in and hooked me up to the NST and saw that I was having mild contractions. She was about to send me home because everything looked good, but "for fun" decided to do a cervical check (I was 36 weeks, 6 days at the time) and I was 4cm. That really changed things, and she told me it was baby day and I needed to head to the hospital. She almost wouldn't let me drive 10 minutes to my parents house so that they could take me.

By the time I got to the hospital and was set up with an IV, I still felt the same. Anesthesiologist came in to discuss my options with me for C-section. At that point my regular OB (who was on call at the hospital that day) came in and chatted for a moment. We were all laughing about her being surprised that I was there, and she told me that we would need to wait a little bit because there was a mom in labor that was at risk for needing an emergency C-section and she wanted to leave the OR ready for her just in case.

HOWEVER, she then checked my cervix and I was at 7cm, and told me that we needed to get into the OR now, because DD's butt was coming down the birth canal. Yup. So I walked myself into the OR. On my way walking across the hall I felt dripping (I think when she checked my cervix that last time my waters had started leaking) and my cramps felt slightly stronger, but nothing like I would have imagined contractions to be.

Long story short - I didn't know to go. I went because my OB told me it was time ;)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @missblaze That is amazing! Thanks for taking the time to share it! By the time I was 7cm I had been in intense labor for probably 15+ hours and was exhausted and miserable! I'd much rather your route! Good thing you were a "bad employee" and went to the OB. ;) 
  • Options
    @missblaze I've been thinking about this because I will be a repeat c-section. I'm sure I'll be super anxious and nervous going in to it and would like to find a way to ease that.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2017

@supercoolstephy There are some C-section specific tracks that you can purchase separately on the website :)

ETA: link https://www.hypnobabies-store.com/All_MP3s-Cesarean_Birth_Preparation_3-track_MP3_Set_wPDF.html

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Anyone heard about issues with eating raw honey while pregnant??
  • Options
    @lhunter712 I think the only concern would be botulism. I've had a lot of honey this pregnancy, but it's the squeeze bottle type from the grocery store. 
  • Options
    I also plan to do hypnobabies again. I can't at all claim to have had a pain free delivery - I was also at 7cm when I got to the hospital, but definitely felt like I was supposed to be there! That said, I had an unmedicated delivery in under 5 hours. 
    But like others have said, regardless of how labor and delivery ends up one of the huge benefits is just having that stress management help during the 3rd trimester when the unknown just has you going crazy. Dh also used some of the birth coach techniques which really worked!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)