November 2017 Moms

Repeat C/S or VBAC with GD....

mamioftwo93mamioftwo93 member
edited August 2017 in November 2017 Moms
@ 1st the doc recommended I try 4 a VBAC even after I told him about my 1st pregnancy resulting in C/S bc my son didn't get past 4cm..Now w/me having GD & repeating that story 2 them again (bc they asked abt the previous pregnancy again) they seem 2b N shock & may want 2 recommend another C/S. They don't seem 2 know which route 2 take & I'm left 2 the 36th wk 2 decide. Done research & I'm petrified! Decisions..Decisions..What 2 do??

Re: Repeat C/S or VBAC with GD....

• Your first baby was 8lb 4oz which isn't considered huge, my first was 8lb 5oz at 37 weeks gestation.  And while mom's with GD can have large babies the link between the two is weak and has been published as such recently. I don't know how long the doctors gave you to dilate or if baby was in distress but if he was then they call it "failure to progress" and that's the reason for the c/s, doesn't necessarily mean you won't progress this time as there are unknown factors like induction, if your body isn't ready an induction may not work. 
  • @MaximumEffort from what I remember I don't think they gave me a certain amount they felt I should've Dilate but I'm sure they were hoping 4 a full 10CM. I was induced laboring w/him for 16 hrs & when I told the doc that his eyes got big...hopefully This won't happen again. I'll ask the doc 4 his professional opinion if Im still unsure by 36 wks which is how long I have 2 make my decision. She was small in previous ultrasound (around July 19) just has long legs & arms Idk about now though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It doesn't sound like you feel confident doing the VBAC. For what it's worth, there are risks to it and also for a CS. You have to decide what you're comfortable with.
    I know a mom who just did a VBAC, ruptured, and had to have a hysterectomy. Baby was without oxygen for 16 minutes. You just don't know what will happen.

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I have been having these conversations as well.  I don't have GD (they tested me twice!) but my baby has always been large for gestational age.  And I have gained about 20 pounds so far, nothing too massive. At my 28 week appointment she was above the 90th percentile-- it is one of the reasons I am supposed to see a MFM.  I discussed a VBAC with my OB and she agrees I am a good candidate.  I think there are concerns and benefits with both c sections and vaginal delivery, but my c section had me off work for 4 months!  My OB did say that was because I was very sick ( I had to deliver because of severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome) and I likely would have a better recovery this time around and warned that the first vaginal delivery still took longer to recover from than I would like, but that if I were to want a third child a repeat vaginal delivery would definitely have improved recovery times.  They also want me to see a MFM because we used icsi and ivf (and an egg donor) and that does increase risks of heart problems, but the anatomical scan looked good, so I am not too concerned.  I don't want to be induced because that would make me more concerned about issues with the progression of labor and so forth and I know that does slightly raise the risk of uterine rupture.  Induction failed at 35 weeks with my son, so I had a C section. It was hard.  My son was in the NICU and I was on a drip and catheter and didn't even see him for the first 24 hours.  I'd prefer a different experience this time. I know I might not get that, but the C section is major surgery I don't want unless there is some better reason that ones I have now or might have in the future (I am at high risk of prolapse). Other than an epidural I don't have a birth plan, but I would prefer to go into spontaneous labor and have it progress well and deliver via VBAC.  However, I see this one NP occasionally due to scheduling and she seems to be pushing an elective C section due to size, and it annoys me.  I know most birth weight estimates are off, especially for babies that are supposed to be really big or small.  It also seems early still to freak out about it too much.  At 34 weeks I will promise to sit down and look at all the stats and so forth again, but this baby doesn't always measure as big.  Sometimes she is near the 90th percentile, other times it is closer to 80. 
  • I was a csection with my 1st because of failure to descend. Labor for 18 hours and 2 hours of pushing. My doc would have let me push for another 2 hours, me and baby were not in distress. She couldn't use suction or forceps because he wasn't our far enough for equipment to work successfully. I literally felt him in between my hips. His head would show, but he would go right back in. I was "failure to descend" as my official diagnosis. I'm petite 5'1 and 127 lbs normally. Baby was 8 lbs 10 oz. we have talked about vbac options and she agrees that I can try for vbac, but my chance of successful vbac is very slim due to my pelvis size. She said most people that have successful vbac's if baby was breech the first time. I am a nurse practitioner so I understand all the risks and benefits, my boss is a doctor and she had 2 successful vbac's after her first large baby - so it's definitely possible. Your water has to break naturally for a vbac and mine did with my first. I went to 40 weeks to the day (my son was born on his due date) and had no pregnancy complications and this pregnancy has been fine thus Far. So it's really a personal preference, what worries me is the chance of losing my uterus or having distress and baby needs to go to emergency c section regardless. 
  • Airynn ChicaAirynn Chica member
    edited August 2017
    I had a cs with my 1st due to failure to progress. I was in labor for 26 hours(active for 8.5). I was med free too. DDs head disengaged and went back to the top of my uterus-she never came back down and my contractions were great-on a monitor. So I had an rcs because my dr. thought it wouldn't work. This time my dr. thinks my sheath is too thin and it would risk rupture so rcs #2!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I honestly wouldn't stress over it. Maybe ask that at the 34/36 week appointment that you are given an ultrasound to check baby's position and go from there.  Even if you decide today to do a tolac there are so many factors that can change what the plan is (even for a first time Mom). If gd isn't a deal breaker for them then that's great news for you! 

I am am going to try a tolac (trial of labor after c-section) if I am favorable with the understanding that a c-section is a possible outcome. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @NYTino24 If I were confident I wouldn't be worried but I am. Because like I said, I did research on both outcomes & am petrified. I'm not even close to 35 wks to make a decision but every other doc appointment up 2 that week I am asked by different doctors that aren't even going to deliver my child what do I think. When I ask them I get mixed answers. Of course I know that there R risks..& No You can never know what may happen..but by telling me a horror story abt someone else's VBAC experience in a spoiler doesn't put me at ease I came to this forum 4 support...Positive vibes please, thanx.
  • @Asivec Your response has put me at the most ease. I love both my son & unborn daughter & even though nothing is promised as far as a good outcome w/any pregnancy, I just want to make sure I make the right decision leading up to that. I wish you best of luck on your tolac. I'm very positive that You can go for it. Ive heard/read a lot of women have
  • @mamioftwo93 The reality is neither choice is easy. I'm sure you will figure it out. Me telling you someone else's story doesn't mean it will happen to you and it wasn't sending negative vibes your way either. Good luck. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I do not have GD, but this pregnancy is officially in macrosomia territory now (large for gestational age). I had a cs with my son at 35 weeks because severe pre-e became HELLP syndrome, induction failed to start labor, and they couldn't wait any longer with my labs getting worse...  i want to attempt a vbac. My recovery was really long, and I would prefer to go vagnal this time. I need to see a MFM, but that is current plan.
  • @kyethra Wow I couldn't imagine that! Good to hear you got through it safely. Today the doctor told me I'm measuring 35 weeks when I'm 30 weeks! They have already scheduled me for another C/s so VBAC is out of the question. For both my daughter's safety & mine according to them. I wish you So much luck this time around but I think You can do it.