March 2018 Moms
Options

Questions - 8/20

hey ladies I saw someone mention that this hadn't been started yet so I figured I'd get it going for us! 

My question: some of you may have seen me complaining about so much weight loss this pregnancy. I'm currently 97 lbs, and my husband brought up the idea of asking for some sort of medication to help regulate my weight until I start gaining again and get to a healthy point. 

We've tried nausea medications and they either don't work or make it worse. I'm doing a really good job of eating at least three meals a day, and even though I'm not throwing up that much, just constantly nauseous, I'm still losing weight. 

So does anyone know of weight regulating medications are even available in pregnancy? I have an ultrasound appointment next week and a 13 week OB appointment the week after, so I'm sure my doctor will try to figure something out since she's already expressed concern about my weight. I'm just wondering if what my husband suggested will even be an option. 

Re: Questions - 8/20

• Options
    @orbmaker I know weight loss is normal. I lost weight with my daughter as well but the lowest I got with her was 102. It's just alarming! Definitely staying well hydrated and trying to eat well! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ShawnnaO have you mentioned the weight loss to your Dr? As far as I know there isn't a medication to control weight loss in pregnant women, but if you're losing a  lot of weight it should be mentioned to your Dr.
  • Options
    @heatherdubrow yes at my last appointment I had already lost 6 pounds and she was very concerned. We tried a couple medications but those haven't helped. Nothing helped in my last pregnancy either. I have another appointment with her in about two weeks. 
  • Options
    I'll do that. Thank you! 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying that's a really good idea! 
  • Options
    What would you do if your older child hated the name you picked for this baby?  DH and I decided on Avery Alexander if this baby is a boy and my daughter absolutely hates it!  This is because she doesn't get along with a girl at school named Avery.  Would this deter you from using the name?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @ladybugsamom I wouldn't use it, but our son is really sensitive. 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv  DD isn't too sensitive, but every time we mention the name she makes a face and says "I don't like it!"  Every. Single. Time. lol  I want to consider her feelings, but I don't think DH will budge.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Just personally if my kid was adamantly opposed to a name for a real reason ((i.e., a kid at school that is super mean)), I'd probably change the name unless it was after a family member. :neutral:
  • Options
    Has anyone else doctor had trouble finding a heartbeat with a doppler? I was 12.4 weeks when this happened. He later found it using an in-room ultrasound but i'm still a little freaked out by this experience. (PGAL brain) When I was pregnant with DS, I heard it on the doppler at 11 weeks. TIA! 
  • Options
     @ladybugsamom perhaps over time your daughter will warm up to the name.
  • Options
    @mommytron Yes, the first time my doctor tried with my daughter she couldn't find it. She said it was probably because I had an anterior placenta so it was more difficult to find. Hugs
  • Options
    @mommytron, at my last appointment (12 weeks), I had a PA who was looking for the HB and quickly started saying, "So it's really early and if we don't find it with this, don't worry, we'll just go over..." and then she found it. She was worried after a few seconds that I would freak out that I didn't hear a HB immediately, but baby is so little that I was ready for it to take a little while. Those little stinkers are wiggly and move around a lot! :smile:

In both pregnancies at the END, I had nurses who hooked me up to be monitored and the sensor either stopped picking up baby or didn't pick up contractions. Each time it happened, it made my heart drop, but I had to remember to advocate and let them know that I think it needs to be adjusted. I totally understand that feeling of fear and bit of anxiety, but hopefully you can find a little comfort in knowing that even the greatest health care professionals might have to adjust their work around a bit to get what we need to hear as moms! :smile:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mommytron +1 for my midwife not being able to find the hb at my last appt, which was 11w3d. My NT scan was the next day and hb was perfect. 

Also, I think some people just kind of suck at using dopplers. When the baby is that small you have to be so precise with the right spot and angle and that can be tricky. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for reasons I'm not going in the hot tub at my friend's hot tub party tonight??? I have no idea what to say. 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying UTI? Tell them it could exacerbate it
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying Skin rash? Nobody wants to catch a rash in a hot tub, plus chlorine and hot water are notoriously harsh on sensitive skin! 

Or just feeling like a puff ball and not wanting to wear a swimsuit, which would be 100% accurate for me right now even if a hot tub weren't unsafe for baby. :p 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! All are great suggestions!! I wish I could just lie and say I'm on my period. But my BFF will be there and she's on her period and she KNOWS our cycles aren't in sync. I'm telling her I'm pregnant tomorrow!!! If only she knew already then she could play along. 
  • Options
    @Cowboycorgi @chasingroygbiv @kiki75 @LiveNLove44 @brettanomyces Thank you SO much for taking the time and answering my question. Your responses definitely eased my anxiety! 
  • Options
    When do you start showing? I can't tell if I am starting to or if it's just fat/bloat. 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Just starting here @muggle621 14+4. I don't think the general public could tell, but DH and I can. 
  • Options
    muggle621 said:
    When do you start showing? I can't tell if I am starting to or if it's just fat/bloat. 
    Around 14ish weeks for me last time, I think.
  • Options
    Thanks @chasingroygbiv and @HappyMonkey817! The Google gives such a broad range! I'm almost 11 weeks so my "bump" is bloat! 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @muggle621 I didn't start showing to other people until I was 22ish weeks. But I started having a bump that I couldn't call bloat probably early second trimester. 
  • Options
    I think I showed around 17 weeks with my first @muggle621. This time it will be earlier, but at 13 weeks I'm still firmly in the blump camp. 
  • Options
    the "blump" is so real though.....I know it's not the baby yet but my stomach is HUGE compared to my normal body. I can't "suck it in" it's out there for the world to see which is super awkward because we haven't told many people yet. so I think everyone just thinks I've but on some serious pudge and are too polite to say anything

• Options
    @muggle621 I feel like I'm showing (twins at 11 + 2), but to anyone other than MH and I it probably just looks like bloat. But we can definitely tell. I'm small framed though-- like one of those people who you can tell gained 5 pounds because I'm so short. I feel like if I were taller it wouldn't be nearly as obvious. 
  • Options
    @vflux33 We sound to be built similarly! I'm not quite 5'.
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I'm technically 5 feet and half an inch, but the DMV rounded up out of pity :joy:
  • Options
    Your DMV must be a lot more friendly than mine!  :D@vflux33
  • Options
    Hi ladies, unsure where to post this! 
    Met with my midwife today and she told me that based on my 12w ultrasound my placenta is covering the cervix and I therefore have placenta previa. She said it could possibly migrate by my next scan at 20 weeks but if not I'll need a scheduled c section. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with placenta previa and if anybody's placenta did actually migrate! Ftm here and trying my best not to worry! Thank you!