November 2017 Moms

All About Breast Pumps

Re: All About Breast Pumps

• My insurance covers the Spectra 2 completely. I authorized to pay $65 myself so that I could have the Spectra 1.  
    Unfortunately the Spectra 1 is not offered by the supplier I have to go through so I can't upgrade to it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dragonfly87-2 I have the PISA with the tote. I personally like the tote that it comes with because the pump is built right into the side of the bag so you don't have to remove the pump from the bag. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Abby7 said:
    Just so you all know, pumping sucks (pun intended). I would rent if you can before deciding on a purchase. Because you have to be really, super, duper, intensely committed to pump. The problem is that not only do you have to sit there and pump, but then you have to feed the baby the bottle of breastmilk - which doubles or triples the amount of time you spend just on feeding your baby. Also, sitting there hooked up to the pump you cannot do anything else, so you have to wait till the baby is down, and it's stressful trying to time when you're going to pump with when he's going to be asleep since they sleep so erratically at first.
    Some of us have to pump because we are going back to work, not because we are going to be exclusively pumping. I will be breast feeding and pumping while on maternity leave to build up a supply when LO goes to daycare. So if I want my baby fed solely with breast milk, my only option is to pump while I'm away from my baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The good news is that pumps have decent resale value because not all women have insurance. Just need to buy new tubing. However, where I live there are plenty of people who give away their (good) pumps for free. My sister gave me hers, another sister and friend offered, plus I was given a hand pump...
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Abby7 said:
    Just so you all know, pumping sucks (pun intended). I would rent if you can before deciding on a purchase. Because you have to be really, super, duper, intensely committed to pump. The problem is that not only do you have to sit there and pump, but then you have to feed the baby the bottle of breastmilk - which doubles or triples the amount of time you spend just on feeding your baby. Also, sitting there hooked up to the pump you cannot do anything else, so you have to wait till the baby is down, and it's stressful trying to time when you're going to pump with when he's going to be asleep since they sleep so erratically at first.
    Some of us have to pump because we are going back to work, not because we are going to be exclusively pumping. I will be breast feeding and pumping while on maternity leave to build up a supply when LO goes to daycare. So if I want my baby fed solely with breast milk, my only option is to pump while I'm away from my baby.
    I originally wanted to do the same thing with my daughter, although it turned out I started pumping at like 4 days old because I was having latch issues and the doctor basically made me switch to bottles due to her weight loss, and I wanted her to have at least some breast milk. However, it was never all that effective for me. I'd pump for 30-45 minutes in front of some God-awful daytime TV just to get 3 oz max, my nipples were a mess and in a ton of pain, and I dreaded the start of the suction as that hurt the worst. Honestly I thought going into it it would be the perfect solution, where she could have breast milk even if I couldn't get her to latch or if someone else wanted to feed her, but it didn't work well at all. I'm glad I didn't go all out on equipment because I only got through it for like a month and then gave up and did exclusive formula.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll say that breastfeeding hurts the first say 3 weeks and then it's fine. Problem with pumping is that the faster and harder isn't always the best. And since newborns have a stomach like a marble they don't drink much at first, just a little many times.  
  • @Abby7 I hated pumping too. I exclusively pumped because I thought I wasn't producing enough milk because my son wanted to eat every hour or so. I was not educated on breast feeding and though I was starving my son so I exclusively pumped. I eventually went with formula after a month or two because I still thought I wasn't producing enough for him. This time around I am much more informed and know that it wasn't me. Regardless, giving my child as much breast milk as possible is mportant to me so I will bare the pain of pumping exclusively if need be. Personally, I believe it's a small sacrifice for something that is very important to me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cwalker042 it's crazy how much first time moms are not educated on breastfeeding, and how we don't know what we don't know. I know I was totally in the dark about so much about it, even though I thought I had done enough research. The more we're talking about it the more I'm realizing how little support for breastfeeding new mothers are provided with. In the hospital, the nurses would just put my daughter on the breast and she would eat, but as soon as I got home I couldn't get her to do it. Obviously there was some sort of technique I was missing. I tried my LLL book and it did not help, and she was being weighed daily and I was told to move to formula immediately, so I had no time to repair the latching relationship. This time I am preparing so much more. I'm going to do LLL meetings before I deliver to get some support contacts, and I'm going to demand more help in the hospital. Because honestly, I really, really want to actually breastfeed and not have to pump. If I do fail again, I am moving straight to formula and I'm not putting myself through the pumping process unless it's because BF is established and I need to pump for going back to work purposes.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • @abby7 and @cwalker042: It's unfortunate to hear your experiences with starting breastfeeding and lack of support. Did either of you take classes or join groups? Just curious, I plan to take a class and our hospital has a weekly mom's breastfeeding group/weigh-in I plan to do while on maternity leave. Not sure how helpful it will be, but hoping that it is a good start.

I also read that ACA (in the US) requires insurance companies to cover the cost of a breast pump and a lactation consultant. While the coverage may be limited, it's a start and hopefully all moms in the US know this if they have health insurance.
  • I did not take a class or join a group, but I plan to this time because I know now that I didn't know enough last time. I read the LLL book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" while I was pregnant and honestly the book made it sound like the process was so natural, if I just kept the breast available at all times we would figure it out instinctively. That just didn't happen. I also had the lactation consultant come when I was still in the hospital due to her weight loss, and that helped even less. Part of the problem too was that when I was pregnant with my daughter, I had just come off of a horrible miscarriage, and I was afraid to prepare too much for a healthy baby because I was trying to protect myself emotionally in case something bad happened, so I didn't want to put myself out there in a group or anything. Today I feel much more ready to learn and start over with breastfeeding, knowing what I know now. I'm also not going to do the guilt thing I did when I first switched to formula if that's what ends up happening. My daughter is smart and as physically (including immune system) and emotionally as strong as you can ask for, so there were no lingering ill effects from it.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • cwalker042cwalker042 member
    edited August 2017
    I did not take any classes. I thought, how hard can it be, right? This time around I am still not taking any classes but I've done a ton a research. It's not that breastfeeding was difficult. He would latch and was getting milk, I just thought I wasn't producing enough because he wanted to eat about every hour as opposed to the every two hours a formula fed child normally eats. I was just under the assumption breast fed babies ate no different than formula fed babies. Boy was I wrong. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @abby7: That's good you are going into it this time with more of a plan and hopefully the extra support will help. I agree that while it's hard to avoid it, there should be no guilt if BF does not work out. My mother did not BF any of us 3 kids and we all grew up to be intelligent, healthy adults. There are definitely benefits to BF, but there aren't life ending consequences to using formula that women should be devastated about. A healthy and happy baby is a fed baby, regardless of the method.

I have a co-worker who didn't take any kind of birth, breastfeeding or baby care classes before having her first son a few months ago. While she still says she doesn't regret it, it is interesting to hear her struggles. She really struggled to figure out breast feeding and felt horribly guilty that it didn't come naturally. She also said that she felt like the birth process was foreign and out of her control the entire time. Then, when she brought her son home, she felt helpless and without support. I don't think classes or education solves all of these issues, but I think it doesn't hurt to at least be informed and start to explore them prior to birth. Our culture often thinks that being independent and going it alone is admirable, but most things in life that are successful require the support of many people and resources. 
  • I cannot recommend Kellymom.com enough for breastfeeding and for when you introduce solids to your Los. 
  • As a FTM I feel like I have gotten a lot of information about breastfeeding. The prenatal clinic/ hospital  I go to for all my appointments had a whole conversation about breastfeeding with me and talked about how the nurse’s would be there to help me after birth to make sure baby and I both felt comfortable with breastfeeding before we go home. The hospital I will deliver at seems very pro breastfeeding. They also gave me a book on breastfeeding, which goes over everything from latching on, to different things you and baby might encounter and how to overcome them, to different positions to hold baby while breastfeeding. It also has a list of breastfeeding supports for my province in case you are having issues. The book has been very helpful in learning about breastfeeding. 

• This thread is fantastic! 

The ACA requires insurance companies to cover pumps and lactation consultants, but the degree of coverage varies from insurance company to company.  Call and find out.  I spoke with mine, and the insurance covers non-hospital grade pumps in full from an in-network provider and also covers lactation consultants in full (although that requires out-of-pocket up-front payment with the cost reimbursed).

I also have been trying to read my way through "Work. Pump. Repeat" - a breastfeeding book geared specifically toward working moms who will be pumping at the office and attempting to breastfeed as long as possible.  I say trying to read, because with busy work I don't get very far before the e-Book has to be returned to the library and I wait in the digital queue again till it is available.  It's great so far, though.
  • @dragonfly87-2 I've had an experience w/a manual breast pump w/my son. I mean it works okay...but My hands cramped a lot & I began to hate it Lol. This go round I bought an electric one. (Medela I think.)
  • Tangentially related to breast pumps - for those working moms of us (not to sound pegorative at all! I'm just referring to those moms who will return to an office environment while breastfeeding), I'd recommend the book "Work. Pump. Repeat."  I started reading my way through it and have found it very informative.  It does not cover latching, breastfeeding technique, etc., but rather is a collection of stories and advice from other moms who had to pump in an office/work environment.
  • @curiousfool1 thank you! As of now I'm planning on going back. My biggest worry is being able to pump at work. It's very much a go go place and you're with clients the entire time - even lunch (we get paid for our lunch hour because of it), and 99% of the time we're not even at the program. I know legally they have to let you but I feel like they'd get around it by saying I can only if it doesn't interfere (like I only can during lunchtime, etc). I'm praying I get my transfer approved before I go back cuz then I'll be in an office instead. But IDK if that'll even happen let alone by then. 
  • @dragonfly87-2  My general pumping advice is it all depends on your work situation. Do you travel at all? Do you ever have meetings out and about where you may need to pump in your car or some other place without a plug. I got an Ameda with#1 and it came with the extras but it appears insurance is covering less this round. My options look like yours. I did an upgrade because I cared about having a pump that I could get out of the bag and had a battery pack. Plus I found I need the pump sized bag to fit everything. I am excited to have two so I can leave one at work this time. Pumping doesn't work great for me so I have to MOTN pump to build a travel stash to work travel. 
  • I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I went through a site that checked my insurance benefits for me. A representative emailed to give me choices of pumps after verifying what I was eligible for. I initially visited the site Labor Day and received my pump today. Heres the link: https://breastpumps.aeroflowinc.com/qualify-through-insurance
  • I researched pumps last night, they actually have wireless ones..with no cords & are Bluetooth activated 2 ur phone!! U put them in your bra & it goes unnoticed. Can wear it while at work & all but the price is very steep but most definitely worth it in the end. Like $300-400 something dollars. One of them is called Smart Pump I believe. 
  • I used the medela PISA for my daughter and used it for a year. I will probably be getting the same pump just the newer version for this baby. My lactation consultant recommended the PISA for first option and Spectra S2 secondly. I had the backpack which was convenient for carrying everything back and forth to work. Since I'll now have two, I'll probably leave one at work this time. Check with your hospital to see if they have a lactation consultant/breastfeeding support group. My LC was an invaluable resource for me the first time around. 
  • Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone or not, but when I was trying to figure out which pump to get, I found this link on the medical suppliers page comparing the features of the diff pumps

https://breastpumps.byramhealthcare.com/media/Byram-Breast-Pump-Chart.pdf
  • This was the best pump I received from the insurance. I am a working mom it was so easy to use and didn't have any problem with suction. The suction was better with the spectra s9 than the medela. I loved how small it was and the convenience of it. I also bought the freemie cups and I couldn't make any milk from them. So they were worthless to me. 
  • I looked up on one of the DME company websites and there were several options that my insurance would allow, including a Medela PISA and a Spectra. I really wanted to try to the Spectra but I am thinking of just doing to PISA since I already have so many extra parts and supplies. 
  • I'm still trying to figure it out. I need to contact insurance (should have weeks ago) and find out what they cover and what company they go through
  • okay so I finally contacted them and they cover a few but the 2 I am tossed between is the PISA and Spectra S2. I will be returning to work so I know the PISA is better portable wise - I cannot pump in a vehicle as I will only have access to a work vehicle at that time and we have clients with us in them. And that it is easier to get parts. Also my hospital uses the PISA. However, I heard the Spectra is easier on the nipples and has a better milk return with the letdown. I like that it remembers your preferences too and that there is no backflow. I'm iffy cuz it says the bottles dont always stay secure and can come off! I am seriously at such a loss between the two. SIL recommends the PISA but she said she has the Spectra and never used it. She was given the PISA and since that was what the hospital used she figured she'd just stick with it. I'm afraid of ordering one and absolutely hating it or it's just not perfect and wondering if the other was a better option.

What did you all go with? Have you tried either?
  • I ordered my Medela PIS today. I only had that and an Ameda as options. I was surprised since I have great insurance. I would have done the PIS or Spectra anyway. I didn't even need a doctor's note and could have gotten it at any point in pregnancy.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I got a prescription just in case. And kept forgetting to contact insurance. They didn't ask for it but the distributor said I need to email it to them when I place the order 
  • I got the spectra 2, my midwife suggested it, she thinks the PIS has gone down in quality. The spectra will save settings and the 2 has a rechargeable battery. They are both portable per say, just need a bad to put the Spectra in, insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the PIS bag anyways. 
  • For ladies who have pumped before...any recommendations on hands free bras?

I came across this interesting one...not sure how practical it is compared to a typical hands free bra.

LactaMed Simplicity Hands Free Pumping Bra Kit - 2pk Black
    https://www.amazon.com/LactaMed-Simplicity-Hands-Free-Pumping/dp/B00K6PZONC/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1506871025&sr=1-2&keywords=lactamed+simplicity+hands+free+bra+kit&th=1
    LactaMed Simplicity Hands Free Pumping Bra Kit - 2pk Black

Also, has anyone done pumping the car? Did you find it useful or just awkward. I only have a 20-30 minute commute, so not sure if that is enough time.
  • @dragonfly87-2 I plan on trying to pump on the way to school.  I registered for this. 

• My LC suggested these for moms who leak while breastfeeding on one side. 

• I wanted to thank you guys for your input! I just ordered the spectra 
  • Alright ladies, I've ordered my pump.  I went with the Spectra 2.  My best friend gave me her Medela PISA, so I'll have that one at home. The Spectra seemed to have better reviews for supply and sound (as in, minimal noise) so it seems like it will be better for pumping at the office.

In terms of pump accessories and attachments, has anyone had experience with either the Freemie collection cups or with the Kiinde Twist system?  I have both on my registry, not that I'm expecting anyone to purchase them for me but mostly to be able to claim the diaper rewards and completion discount.  
  • I decided to splurge on the Naya Breast Pump after reading tons of reviews. The combination of hospital grade plus lightweight and faster expression is what sold me.
  • I ordered the Medela PIS through my insurance today after my doctor visit. One of the office ladies recommended it, plus what I've read on here, so I'm hoping it works well for me.
  • @hillaryo14 I ordered the Medela PIS as well! Just got it two weeks ago. Hoping it works well for both of us!