March 2018 Moms
Options

Caffeine junkies support group - 8/14

Calling all fellow caffeine junkies. Can we lament together for a moment?

1. How much caffeine did you usually consume per day before pregnancy?

2. How much are you consuming now?

3. How is that working for you?

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

Re: Caffeine junkies support group - 8/14

• Options

I always started the day with 1 large Dunkin iced coffee (396mg) and then usually had at least one more coffee (say 200mg) in the afternoon. The rest of the day I was sipping on iced tea (probably 400mg worth per day).

I am trying to stick to the 200mg. That is one Dunkin SMALL iced coffee. I haven't been surviving so I've also been having some tea.

I hate it. I am barely functional and I also think it's going to out me because everyone at work always comments on my large iced coffees and they're starting to ask where they are.

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

• Options
    I drank one or two cups a day before getting pregnant and am doing the same now. Some days more, some less. I feel like I'm tired no matter what so it makes no difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm only drinking a bit less. Instead of 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning, just one. And then I got mini mt dews and am drinking one in the afternoons. I used to get a 32oz in the afternoons (never drank it all, but still drank more than the 7 oz cans I got now)
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited August 2017
    I would easily drink 600 mg a day. I started cutting back and got a bad bout of morning sickness around week 7, so I went cold turkey. I love coffee and I've been having a small cup every morning because I need it in my life. I occasionally drink tea, too. I stay around the 200 mg limit 

eta
    its working ok for now. I work 12's and have class 3 days a week, plus clinical every other weekend, plus a toddler so I'm always fatigued  :D 
  • Options
    I used to drink a small cup of coffee in the morning, a cup of tea or two mid morning and a can of diet Dr Pepper in the afternoon. I've cut out the tea and diet Dr Pepper most days, but will sneak the soda in some afternoons.
  • Options
    This is a great thread and made me laugh. I am definitely a caffeine junkie. I used to drink around a pot of coffee per day. I have no idea how many milligrams of caffeine that is, but I do know it was too much. I'm down to probably 16oz/day. I drink decaf tea in the afternoons. Harney and Sons makes some amazing teas in my opinion. I did have a horrific migraine around week 5. I am now thinking it was probably caffeine withdrawal. Other than that episode, I have done fine. I will likely BF so I probably won't go back to my pot-a-day habit, fingers crossed.    
  • Options
    I am a Caribou addict. Or **was. When I found out I could have some coffee, I went to Caribou right away, only to find out it doesn't agree with my pregnant self. And that's okay. I guess I will wait til after March 2018, lol.
  • Options
    I'm not a coffee/tea drinker, but love pop. I always try to avoid it in the first trimester, even though I know there isn't all that much caffeine in a can. So I've been having ginger ale or some other caffeine-free pop when I have the craving. Like @heatherdubrow said, I'm exhausted no matter what, and I don't think my pop would help anyways.
  • Options
    Former addict. Switched to decaf and like one regular (small :'( ) iced coffee a week when I was pregnant with DD and stayed about the same while BFing. Those caffeine headaches were no joke, especially when you can't take ibuprofen. 

@mintea I think Dunkin' has decaf iced coffee. I didn't discover that until third tri last time. In case you still want a large.  ;)
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    My husband and I typically make coffee at home, and I'd go into work with a 16oz strong french press. On weekends I'd have homemade lattes (2 shots of espresso). And, tea throughout the day. Now, if I'm really struggling I'll get a latte from Starbucks (150mg) and on weekends I just drink a lot of tea.

I actually drank significantly caffeine when breastfeeding than when pregnant (almost 0). I did NOT want my son to sleep less.

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm a major tea addict, and trying to switch to safe herbal teas just isn't going well. 
  • Options
    I am a total tea addict (coffee burns my stomach). I used to drink 2 pots a day, one morning, one afternoon. I've cut that back to one pot per day max, and trying to make that weaker than before. 
    It's going ok. I'm trying to have one cup in the morning to wake up and the rest in the afternoon to keep going. Don't know how much of my fatigue is related to caffeine cutback. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

2-3 cups of coffee and then iced tea in the evening. 

Coffee hasn't sounded great most days, but I've been drinking more soda and tea. Probably about half the caffeine as normal?

It's fine. I'm not too worried about it, to be honest. If it sounds good, I'll drink it. 

• Options

Ha! I love this thread. I am so in this club.

I got up to 3-4 cups a day riiiiight before I got KU.

Morning sickness made me not want to drink coffee, so I actually went 10 miserable days without. On day 11 I felt better and had one cup, and it was the best cup I ever had. So now I'm limiting myself to one cup on days I reeeeally need it and trying tea or smoothies on other days.

Not great, tbh. I can't wait to have my first appt and be sure this bug is staying put in there, and to get through my first trimester, so that I can enjoy at least one ritual cup every morning without worrying about it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1. I used to drink 24-36 oz of coffee in the morning (yikes, I know!) and then I'd have a 20-24 oz. boost mid-afternoon, too.
    2. I brew half-caf. coffee and have 24 oz. of that in the AM (so 12 oz. of regular), and then I have half of that size in the afternoon. So I guess I drink 18ish oz. a day at this point of caffeinated coffee.
    3. It's going okay at this point. Sometimes I switch to a soda in the afternoon if I can't get coffee, but I love a good brew. I just had my first 11.5 hour day coaching and setting up my classroom, and I'm spent. I just need to get better (solid) sleep, and hopefully it'll turn around! Lots of water helps, too! I keep this level when I BF, too, because I am really sensitive to caffeine in terms of my hydration.

• Options
    Always had 1-2 cups in the morning. Still having 1-2 cups in the morning, sometimes another in the afternoon to keep me going. I have horrible insomnia, so as much as I would like to have 3 cups in the afternoon, I know I won't sleep at all if I overdo it 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well this baby doesn't like caffeine, especially in the form of coffee ((major aversion... whyyy?)) so I'm down to maybe 12 oz of Coke on the days I really need it. Tea is also a no go for me right now unless it's decaf. 
  • Options
    I used to have one cup in the morning, and an occasional cup in the afternoon. Until yesterday, I didn't have any coffee since TTC (thanks PGAL brain) but after only 2 hours of sleep/up most of the night with my 20 month old because he has a cold, I had to have a little to get through all day meetings at work. 
  • Options
    I used to drink 2 cups of half-caff per day. I stopped because of nausea. 

Then i started craving tea (orange pekoe with milk and sugar specifically) but my body can not handle caffeine now. 

So so now I drink hot chocolate. Usually 1 cup in the morning, sometimes a second in the evening. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

4-5 cups of coffee 

None. I went cold turkey

It totally sucks! I'm actually craving coffee of all things!!! 

• Options

1. How much caffeine did you usually consume per day before pregnancy? Two cups at home in the morning then I'd run in morning and afterwards close to noon I'd get a trenta iced coffee from Starbucks. I'm not a soda or tea drinker so coffees really the only caffeine I consume

2. How much are you consuming now?With my DD I gave it up cold turkey but now this pregnancy having to take care of a toddler I just can't give it up completely so I usually have one cup in morning and sometimes tea or something not as strong in afternoon or I go get a grande iced coffee from Starbucks and that's all I consume for the day.

3. How is that working for you? Pretty good but by 3/4 I'm usually exhausted.

Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    1. I drank a lot of iced tea and coke. I know! So healthy. The ice tea was homemade with zero sugar but I miss it sooooooo much!

2. Almost none! I maybe have a glass of coke every 2-3rd day and that's it. I reaaaaaaaaly want ice tea though...like all the time!

3. I'm surviving. I've never been a coffee drinker but I love my coke and iced tea.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

• Options
    11w2d- I caved. Being bad feels so good. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emineminem you inspired me girl lol I am getting off this couch now for a SB run. That pic just looks so yummy!

1. How much caffeine did you usually consume per day before pregnancy? 150mg of caffeine easy.  Two Grande iced white mochas or caramel lattes in most days. I never really thought about how much caffeine I took in before getting pregnant tbh.

2. How much are you consuming now? None until today lol. My RE was very specific about not drinking any caffeine. I think it more the thought if God forbid something happened with this bean he wanted me to be able to say I did everything in my power for it to be a successful pregnancy. It was overboard, but he had good intentions.

3. How is that working for you? Terribly. I'm sleep at my desk by 2p and in the bed by 9!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love coffee, but every time I get pregnant I can't stand it during 1st trimester. 
    Now that I'm  back to work and can't nap, I started drinking a cup of tea to help me get through the day. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers