September 2017 Moms
Options

Day Care

2»

Re: Day Care

• Options
    To me that sounds High @Breath_Easy92, but I would look at the cost of at home daycares in your area and then pay your friend a little less since she's not doing anything structured and probably doesn't have the certifications that an at home daycare would have.  

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @sugarpixxie2 hmm maybe you can help me then...most home daycares around here are 200-300 a week (for 8 hour shift families) and my husband and I work 12 hour shifts so baby would be dropped off by me at her house about 5:30 am and my friend will drop the baby off back at 4:30 pm (my husbands car has no place for a car seat). Do you have any suggestions on what would be more reasonable?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Breath_Easy92 My coworker pays her stay at home mom friend $175 a week to watch her two kids. She doesn't have daycare certifications or a more structured set up. It is basically just like play dates 4-5 days a week. I think the $175 is definitely fair price for that sort of situation.

Have you tried talking with your friend to see what kind of remuneration she is expecting? Sometimes just sitting down and getting them to give you a general idea of what they are thinking is a fair price for their services is helpful. Plus then you don't run the risk of giving her an offer that she thinks is insulting even when it isn't meant to be.
  • Options
    @JNR6510 yeah I'll sit down with her here soon and talk about it. I just don't want to low ball her, I love her but she's a bit of a push over and will low ball her self or except less just to be nice. So I just wanted an idea of a fair price before hand :)
  • Options
    I have to vent. My town has a known shortage of childcare, especially for infants. We are lucky in that we now know we have a spot at the same center our DS attends, but here's the kicker - we have to start paying to hold the new baby's spot beginning next week. Not only do I get zero paid maternity leave (I work at a nonprofit) but now we're having to pay for childcare before he's born. America, something is wrong here. 
    ***TW***
    RAD born 6/2015 |  mc at 7 weeks 9/2016 | rainbow baby RHD born 9/2017
  • Options
    @upnorthmom THIS. One of the two places we were looking at wanted us to pay for a spot starting in September for a spot we wouldn't use until January. Highway robbery. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @upnorthmom, I had never heard of that. What a rip off! 
  • Options
    @upnorthmom - that is ridiculous!  And should not be legal!!! The childcare situation in this country is absurd. 
  • Options
    My little one will start in daycare in January. I feel very fortunate that my company has a great affiliated daycare (which has 2 locations) right by campus. I've timed the trip, and it's basically a 7 minute walk from my office to their front door. Given the proximity, my plan is to come by and breastfeed over lunch, which is what they say a lot of the moms opt to do. Not cheap, though. Full time is over $1400 per month. I'll be taking her 3 days a week for a little over $1100 because my mom and sister have volunteered to take her on Mondays and Fridays, for which I'm endlessly grateful. 
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 That's so nice you'll be able to nurse babe at lunch! 

***TW***
    RAD born 6/2015 |  mc at 7 weeks 9/2016 | rainbow baby RHD born 9/2017