Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Toy alternative to iPad and my cell phone

Heya, my 18mth old has taken quite a liking to my phone and iPad.  And while I limit him to 15 minutes of games a day, I am concerned about the radiation levels that he may be exposed to.  If you read the warnings from Apple (which, let's face it we usually just hit the "I Agree" button and not read), it says you should always have the iPad a foot from the body.

Can any Mamma's recommend an alternative toy?  I have seen what is available such as toy phones, toy laptops and the electronic interactive books etc.  But I don't want to buy something that he is going to turn his nose up to because it is just flashing lights and sounds.  What have you tried that has been a hit with your little ones?

Yes, I know I could just remove the electronics and then he won't play with them, but it brings him a lot of joy - the reason why I want a safe toy alternative :) 

Re: Toy alternative to iPad and my cell phone

• Options
    ailynk said:
    Heya, my 18mth old has taken quite a liking to my phone and iPad.  And while I limit him to 15 minutes of games a day, I am concerned about the radiation levels that he may be exposed to.  If you read the warnings from Apple (which, let's face it we usually just hit the "I Agree" button and not read), it says you should always have the iPad a foot from the body.

Can any Mamma's recommend an alternative toy?  I have seen what is available such as toy phones, toy laptops and the electronic interactive books etc.  But I don't want to buy something that he is going to turn his nose up to because it is just flashing lights and sounds.  What have you tried that has been a hit with your little ones?

Yes, I know I could just remove the electronics and then he won't play with them, but it brings him a lot of joy - the reason why I want a safe toy alternative :) 
    Idk about radiation, but they make kid kindle fire's.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    My 16 month old loves this Leapfrog farm. His attention span is longer for the many buttons, songs, lights and switches than for my phone. https://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Sing-and-Play-Farm/dp/B00H9DI8YG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503105270&sr=8-1&keywords=leapfrog+farm