Babies on the Brain

Weekly Chat - August 6

2»

Re: Weekly Chat - August 6

• Thanks guys :) the goal was to save money, but I end up buying special fabric (i.e. the diaper) that's expensive  :D:#

@lalala2004 making cloth diapers can seriously be SUPER cheap!! I know a gal who uses old tshirts, and just hides the pul inside. Cotton is also fairly cheap to buy from Joann's (plus they ALWAYS have coupons!!). Of course if you don't own a sewing machine, there's that cost up front, but I see good, cheap ones on swap n shops all the time. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I wonder if I could just give my MIL a cloth diaper pattern and have her make MH and I a bunch? Maybe it can be her "gift" to us? Highly considering giving massive hints/voluntelling her to do it.

Are they just, like, the covers? I don't actually know how CDing works. I always kinda thought they were like underwear, and that the "diaper" part is like a maxi pad? Am I totally wrong?

• Loading the player...
  • @JennyColada there are a lot of different kinds. What you described would be an All in 2 system where you have the cover with inserts that snap in. There are also prefolds, flats and covers, All in Ones and pocket diapers. But all of them would use some kind of water resistant cover (usually made with PUL) and some kind of cloth. There are just a lot of options within that :lol:
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @lalala2004 omg wow. That sounds so overwhelming! Guess I'll have a lot of research to do.
  • @lalala2004 omg wow. That sounds so overwhelming! Guess I'll have a lot of research to do.
    FTR I mostly use Best Bottoms, but pocket diapers are nice for naps and road trips.
    *Siggy Warning*

• @JennyColada We use cloth diapers, "lovely pocket diapers" specifically (that's the brand name).  Honestly, we just picked the cheapest ones we found on the internet.  We're generally really pleased with them.  They seem to leak more than disposables, but right now it's because DS is chugging juice and water all day.  The laundry isn't too bad, either, we just do a load of diapers every other night.
  • I would love to cloth diaper! I've read up on it a bit and really love what I've found, but H is dead-set against it.
    I'm thinking we may end up doing a trial-run at some point to see how things would go, and maybe I could convince him then...

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• izza2 said:
    I would love to cloth diaper! I've read up on it a bit and really love what I've found, but H is dead-set against it.
    I'm thinking we may end up doing a trial-run at some point to see how things would go, and maybe I could convince him then...
    I say show him the numbers. You essentially save $3,000, and that's just for one kid!
    *Siggy Warning*

• Hi @glitzandglitter! Hang in there.

@lalala2004 $3,000! Holy sh*t. Joining @JennyColada in her researching now...
  • @lalala2004 $3k?!? Say what? Like @izza2 my DH is against it  :|

I want to learn more and hear about everyone's CD experience. Should we start a separate thread? 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @lalala2004 $3k?!? Say what? Like @izza2 my DH is against it  :|

I want to learn more and hear about everyone's CD experience. Should we start a separate thread? 
    Sure! I'll start one!
    *Siggy Warning*