1st Trimester
Options

Anxiety and Panic Attacks in First Trimester

Hi girls, I'm hoping you can help me feel a little better! 

I've had panic attacks for the last 10 years, and have used Xanax as needed to bring myself out of them.

I am 7 weeks along with my first, and my anxiety has been so bad the past few days. I'm sure it's a combination of the hormones and having to switch medications to Prozac. 

I called my doctor and didn't know if it was an "emergency" to speak to the answering service, but I really, really need a Xanax to get out of this panic attack. I'm on the lowest dose and would probably only take half. Is this a case where the benefits would outweigh the risk? Or should I call the emergency line anyway? Anyone else find different methods of coping with anxiety that are safe for baby? S/he's my main concern at the moment. 

Re: Anxiety and Panic Attacks in First Trimester

• Options
    Hi,  I am on Celexa everyday and klonopin 0.5 as needed. Both my shrink and the high risk OB said to stay on both medications.  There has been many studies on both and they are safe. The high risk ob actually told me not to go by those A, B, C, D, X categories to get information because because they are outdated and not accurate. They are actually in the process of removing the letters system and going by the reading of research. The only one that I am being told to reduce is my adderall.  Hope this helps.  Also, the high risk OB Im seeing is at a large teaching hospital with many years of experience.   Dont worry!
  • Options
    Thank you! I realize that sometimes the benefits of taking these medications are worth the risks, but as a FTM and someone who has anxiety anyway, I can't help but worry  :#
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If your OB gives you issues, have them refer you to a high risk OB (perinatologist).  They 
    are way more knowledgable about this type of thing.  Good luck :-)