February 2018 Moms
Options

Sub Chorionic hemorrhage

I just had my 1st prenatal appointment today. 10 w 3 days. 
Midwife called after ultrasound and said she found a 2cm sub chorionic hemorrhage. Said not to worry that it usually goes away on its own. I have not had any spotting/bleeding as of today. Trying not to worry, but it scares me. 
Anyone else been told they have this? 

Re: Sub Chorionic hemorrhage

• Options
    I was told I "could have one"... but all has been ok so far.. I am 11 w 6 days. 
  • Options
    Did you have symptoms or may I ask why they thought you could have one?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a few spots of bleeding.  I mean the size of my pinky fingertip.  My doctor for me in for an ultrasound.  All looked good but she said there could be a shadow on the placenta which could mean an sch but she couldn't be sure. All had been fine since.  That was 2-3 wks ago
  • Options
    babybro218babybro218 member
    edited August 2017
    I had one. I spotted, then bled, then continued to spot for a week or so. It eventually went away, but I was told I could spot for the whole first tri.

Edited because I accidentally hit "enter" too soon. Oops.
  • Options
    I'm dealing with an SCH too.  

**TW**

This may be way more info than you want to know but I've found it helpful and somewhat comforting to read other women's experiences so I'm going to recap my story to date.

I started bleeding heavily on a Saturday morning in late June, around 6w 5d.  I had just had a MMC/D&C in mid-April and very sadly assumed that I was miscarrying again but on my own this time.  However, the bleeding tapered off after a few hours and I had spotting through the weekend.  My OB worked me in for an ultrasound on Monday morning.  I expected them to simply look and confirm that I was going to miscarry naturally.  Imagine my shock when she found a strong heartbeat and fetal measurements that aligned perfectly with my EDD!  She also found a rather large SCH in the right horn of my uterus (I have a septum) and that the baby had implanted in the left horn.  I was put on pelvic rest and told to let them know of any new bleeding immediately.  Otherwise, we'd follow up in 3 weeks.  

Those 3 weeks went by uneventfully - the spotting stopped and I no longer had the burning/aching sensation in my pelvic area.  Followup ultrasound on 7/28 showed on-track fetal growth and a shrunken hemorrhage that had zero active bleeding. I was released from pelvic rest and gleefully headed out of town for a birthday weekend at the beach.  Fast forward to early morning 7/30 - I woke up to pee and found I was bleeding again, in the same manner and heaviness as before.  Back to the OB on Monday morning where ultrasound thankfully showed a kicking, wriggling baby whose growth was still on track.  I had new bleeding from the same spot but it continued to be away from the pregnancy itself.  My doctor told me that I may continue to experience this same scenario on and off as my uterus grows and stretches. I think for most women they tend to resolve sooner rather than later though.  I think she's preparing me this way because my bleed was so large to begin with and is going to need a lot more time to heal completely. 

As to the cause, I've been told and read many times that they really don't know why this happens.  There are several theories and my doctor seems to think mine may be from an initial try at implantation too close to my septum that didn't take.  Thankfully this baby was stubborn and tried a different spot.

For now we remain hopeful and positive.  With my age (40), presence of the septum, and previous MC history I know that my risk is elevated and tend to fret over every twinge or spot.  But while nothing is guaranteed at this point I feel more confident with each passing day.  I'm 11w 4d today and am hanging on for that 14 week mark with all I've got!
    ** End TW**

I know it's really hard by try not to stress yourself too much.  Hopefully you have a good OB & staff - I've found mine to be wonderful and a huge source of comfort through all of this.  Sorry for the novel but I hope it's helpful!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had (have?) one too. The nurse called after my second ultrasound, but said not to worry and if I spot that's normal, but to call. I then received a message in my MyChart that said all results were normal. I brought this up at my next OB appointment because I wanted to know which was correct. OB said I do have one, but also that 75% of pregnancies do. She said it's the most common "abnormality" and that the nurse shouldn't have even told me. She said unless other, more worrisome symptoms are present, like bleeding, she doesn't tell her patients because it only causes worry and panic. I have not spotted at all since being pregnant and I am 13 weeks today. NT scan Monday and praying all is well as it has been every appointment to date.
  • Options
    I had my NT scan yesterday and was told I have a small one, no one had mentioned it at previous ultrasounds so I'm not sure if it's new or not. The dr said it wasn't a big deal and usually resolve themselves. 
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    I went last week and was told I had a small tear of my placenta...dr said just to cut down on walking stairs carrying anything heavy...i go next week to have it checked...but yes usually heals on its own. 
  • Options
    I had one with my second pregnancy. My dr said It was rather large and while it's not normal, it's not uncommon in pregnancy. I bled once for maybe a day with some pretty nasty cramps. The US showed the baby was okay. My dr monitored me pretty closely and It took until I was 20 weeks before it went away completely. 
  • Options
    I'm glad I read this thread! I had bleeding last week. The doctor got me in for an ultrasound, and baby was fine. I even got to hear the heartbeat at my follow up. Ever since, though, I've had a lot of dark discharge. I had no bleeding or spotting with my first pregnancy, so this concerns me. But reading all of your experiences has helped ease my mind. The doctor never said what may have caused the bleeding.

Oh, I also had to get a Rho-gam shot because of the bleeding (I'm a negative blood type). 

Married 1/09/10

BFP 6/10/14
    EDD 2/17/15
    DS 2/17/15

BFP 6/12/17
    EDD 2/18/17
    Deja vu??

• Options
    love-mom-lifelove-mom-life member
    edited August 2017
    Does anyone know if I'm not bleeding if that is a better sign. I'm 11w1d. As of now, no bleeding 
  • Options
    @xmasbaby15 I can't answer your question but I wanted to warn you that your U/S has all your personal info in it! Try cropping it and reposting.

I had a small bleed yesterday afternoon. It wasn't a gush like I had several weeks ago (which really freaked me out), just heavy spotting, really. It stopped as quickly as it started so I didn't worry about it and didn't tell H. I'll mention it at my NT scan tomorrow though, for their records.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    I have one. They did a second US at ten weeks when I started cramping and bleeding and found it. I had a few days of spotting, but on the last the nurse found the hb by doppler and called me down. There doesn't seem to be much for it except rest and time, I pretty much go to work and then go home and lay down. No swimming/exercise and no sexy time...  :s 

Just know that it seems to be a common thing, and it sounds like most resolve. I am focusing on the positive (hb, no bleeding for the last week) since I can't do much else about it.
  • Options
    I will also add that, while I say "know this is common" and "focus on the positive"... It is scary as hell and hard to be calm about especially when there's bleeding.  :(
  • Options
    update on my previous response- I had pretty heavy bleeding this morning and freaked out. I knew it was probably the sch but it was still really scary. I went to the dr and he said the sch grew (what?!) but he said to still not worry too much about it. He said i can expect to bleed/spot for the next week or so. I go back in 2 weeks to check on the baby and sch. He said they worry more about bleeding after 20 weeks as it can lead to premature labor. In the meantime I'm on pelvic rest and generally taking it easy. 
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017