February 2018 Moms
Options

Knitters and Crocheters

I'm trying to be patient and not jump the gun, but Fall is coming and football and basketball seasons are my favorite times to knit and crochet (especially since I won't be drinking during the games).  Plus, I've made so many baby blankets for friends, I can't wait to make things for my own little nugget.  I thought we could start a thread to share our favorite patterns and ideas, especially since (if all goes well) we'll be having winter babies who will need lots of beanies and booties!

Re: Knitters and Crocheters

• Options
    I wish i was that craft-tastically inclined. Thank god for Etsy. 
  • Options
    I made THIS chevron knit baby blanket for a friend. It was so soft and easy to make. I had a more complicated design I was trying to knit for a friend, oh, like 8 years ago that never got finished lol. It's in my basement in its own little bag. If I have a boy, maybe it's time to finish it! Also made a little baby hat but no idea where that pattern went! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    H, the dog, and I dressed up as Luke Skywalker (H) and Princess Leia (me and the dog) for a portrait for my Star Wars obsessed FIL's 75th bday.  I think this beanie is going to have to happen for his 78th... https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-yoda-knit-hat
  • Options
    @gingermama26  That is one of the cutest things I think I've ever seen. It's giving me all the feels!

How did everyone learn? I've been wanting to learn for years. Anyone self taught or have good resources?
  • Options
    @JandJ62914 I fell in love with that snowman cocoon as soon as I saw it! I've done a lot of crocheting for my nieces and nephews but I'm excited to finally get to start making things for my own! My Pinterest board is so full of cute crochet ideas for babies that I'm dying to make. To answer your question, my mom taught me how to crochet when I was younger and I did it for awhile, but I really picked it back up in college and never stopped.  Any stitches or techniques I didn't learn from my mom have been learned via YouTube. 
  • Options
    @JandJ62914 my grandmother taught me basic stitches and I taught myself the rest using YouTube and the Stitch and Bitch books. The local yarn store is also a great resource. If I get stuck, they are always happy to help!

@gingermama26 I'm afraid to start pinning too much because I don't want friends to catch on before I'm ready to share the news... I think that's why I started the thread here :)
  • Options
    @babybro218, secret boards on Pinterest are pretty much my favorite thing. 

@JandJ62914, I taught myself how to crochet through YouTube. There are tons of videos out there to explain the stitches and the basics of crochet. 
  • Options
    @babybro218 That makes sense. You can always make a secret board and make it public when you're ready to share the news. But I don't blame you for wanting to wait on pinning cute things.
  • Options
    Yay I'm so happy someone stared this! I'm a knitter and have already made a sweater and have a hat going. I love knitting baby stuff because it is so quick and sooooo cute. I have lots of patterns saved on Ravelry I can share as well. I learned from an ex's mom about 15years ago and have been teaching myself things from YouTube and books since. I have taken a few technique classes and find that I pick up a lot at knitting groups. If you have a local yarn store near you they usually offer classes for beginners. Here is a pic of the sweater when it was almost finished, I have since finished it. Sorry if it's huge I'm mobile. Also I think it's in the middle of my text, I'm not good at mobile bumping sorry! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @LydRussell that blanket is gorgeous! I love using Debbie Bliss yarns! I will have to check out her patterns. Thanks!
  • Options
    I don't crochet, but my moms does some amazing stuff. She crocheted all the characters from Doc McStuffins for DS on his first Christmas. She's made blankets galore and with 5 grandsons, only 1 from me, I think she is DYING to use her pink yarn-- haha! I'll post some of her creations if I can dig up the pics.
  • Options
    Thespruce.com under crafts and then crochet has been helpful for me when trying to learn new things. I just finished a large granny square baby blanket
  • Options
    Love this thread! I have a few baby blankets pinned, waiting to find out the sex to settle on which one I want to try to tackle (and for the beefy level to come back). Would love to see more inspiration! Where do you find your patterns, on Pinterest I see finished goods, but hard to find actual patterns? 
  • Options
    Yay this thread makes me sooo happy!  I crocheted a blanket for my son with my first pregnancy.  I was self taught by YouTube, and although I'm so proud of the blanket...it's not the best. You can tell where I made some mistakes. I've pinned some ideas of patterns for this baby, and others to "replace" the one I made for DS...even though he loves it and I won't ever trash it BC I worked really hard on it!  Any suggested patterns for beginners?? I've found some on Pinterest.  I'm feeling a little discouraged BC it's been a while...but I can't wait to pick out yarn! 
  • Options
    You guys I'm a knitter and was so excited to knit baby stuff for my first. Then found out I'll be having my first AND 2nd at the same time (mo/di twins) and I'm so overwhelmed by thinking about knitting 2 of everything! Maybe i should just make newborn hats first, that I can handle. But 2 blankets and 2 sweaters!! Ahhh I better get started RN
  • Options
    These booties look adorable and the description said it's a good use for scraps. https://thewhoot.com.au/crochet/crochet-kimono-baby-shoes
  • Options
    Im a novice crocheter, but im excited to crochet my little one a blanket and a beanie. Im going to have to get my skills up so i can make all the cute stuff for her!!

• Options
    Finished my blanket last night! I bound off a little too tight, so it's bigger at the top than it is at the bottom, but I think I'm the only one who will notice. It's not the best picture, but I was excited to share! 
    @babybro218  That is so cute!  And I am super impressed.  I crochet and am pretty limited to basic stitches, but I'm inspired to branch out a little.
  • Options
    @babybro218
    That is too stinkin' cute!! Love the little teddy bears in in.

I have (several) knitting looms and I plan on doing a blanket and a hat for the baby once I figure out what I'm having.
  • Options
    Thank you, @olitwinturbosnprincess !  It only used two basic knitting stitches.  The pattern for the bear squares was online.  I adapted it to add borders.  There was a lot of counting, but it was pretty simple.  I'm going to make an orange hat with bear ears to go with it :smiley:
  • Options
    @babybro218  Love the hat idea.  That sounds so cute.  You'll have to post a picture when you're done.
  • Options
    I do some easy sewing projects, but have never ventured into knitting or crocheting. But I LOVE seeing these pictures of the cute things you all have made! Keep the photos coming!
  • Options
    This was pretty quick and easy and soooo cute 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OK, because I am totally OCD with knitting and the end was too tight, we found out the sex of the baby, and I’m really good at procrastinating with important stuff, I remade the blanket. Hat up next! 
  • Options
    I need to get back into knitting. Love this thread. 
  • Options
    I'm fairly new (my oma taught me a long time ago) to crochet and I've started making this blanket for DS. It's fairly easy and YouTube has been invaluable 
    https://www.mamainastitch.com/mod-heirloom-crochet-blanket-pattern/?utm_content=bufferb1e08&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    I'm not using wool, because i think it will get washed too often for that, and I subbed the grey out for blue 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018