February 2018 Moms
Options

How much winter wear is needed?

Maybe this is a dumb question... 

Do you put a newborn in a big puffy winter coat? I'm assuming it will be pretty cold here when baby comes. It seems odd to put a newborn in something bulky... like will the coat/suit bunch up by baby's face?  But at the same time, obviously I need to bundle baby up. Feel free to mock this strange question. I'm a FTM and don't know anything.  :p

Re: How much winter wear is needed?

• Options
    We just layered dd in a few things (onsie/shirt/sweater/pants, socks), used a blanket and car seat cover. You aren't supposed to put a bulky coat on in the seat. But! Before she was born I freaked out and bought a snowsuit because I too panicked. She never wore the darn thing.
  • Options
    You can get baby a cozy fleece snowsuit,  and a fleece blanket cover for the infant carseat that is a blanket that fits perfectly.  And lots of blankets.  The carseat cover is especially good because you don't want to put baby in a carseat with a thick snowsuit on because of there is an accident they will fly out. Wal-Mart and babies r us always had good options in the past,  they'll start breaking them out In  a month or so. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM here too who thinks this is a good question.  :) 
  • Options
    I just used a blanket with dd, keeping in mind not too rug them up in too much stuff that's not easy to take off as they overheat easy and once you go back inside everything is so heated. Blankets are also good if you have a power spewer like I did and baby wipes simply don't cut it!! (It always happens at the most inappropriate time!)  So I alway brought a few just incase! Lmao! 
  • Options
    They do make car seat covers as well - they're pretty awesome for super cold places (from MI)
  • Options
    We just layered dd in a few things (onsie/shirt/sweater/pants, socks), used a blanket and car seat cover. You aren't supposed to put a bulky coat on in the seat. 
    Yup! We did the same thing with DD (she was also a Feb baby). It gets pretty cold in MI but we only had baby out to get to/from the car. Thank goodness for those car seat covers!
  • Options
    They make light fleece sits for the winter that are thin enough for a car seat. I always just put my kids in layers with a blanket ticked around them after they were buckled in.

If you purchase a car seat cover make sure you pick one like a car seat canopy or a shower cap style. Absolutely do not get one that the straps go through. You can't have anything between the baby and the back of the seat

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    Hold up in your house and don't leave. Lol jk. Sort of. Last year I bought some fleece snow suits front old Navy at the end of the season for like 0.97 cents. I just grabbed a few and figured if they don't fit any of my kids in season I didn't waste much. So hopefully those work! Lol. Last year DD was a bit older but I just piled blankets on over top of all the straps with regular clothes on her.
  • Options
    Ditto on the skip hop cover - we used ours with DD and will for this LO. I'd echo the PPs who said do not use a jacket or snowsuit with the car seat - putting that much layering on your LO places them at risk of not staying in the car seat during an accident. 
  • Options
    JandJ62914JandJ62914 member
    edited August 2017
    DD was a January baby and we live in the
    North East so we have cold, snowy winters. We had success with the skip hop cover too. Also HATS. You'll want a few warm winter hats. 

Eta- typo 
  • Options
    We definitely plan on hibernating inside for awhile. With my DD I had 3 newborn outfits that she wore on repeat for the first few weeks. I loved having some more fitted clothes to show off her tiny size and now swim on her body. I'll probably get a few new ones that are knit or warmer for this little one.

• Options
    You'll be amazed how warm they stay with a long sleeved onesie and a blanket and then a cover for carseat. A flannel onesie would be good too for when it's really cold. You'll be able to tell though. My last baby would get SO hot! Poor guy would sweat, it was crazy. To this day he is like that and is so peaceful when cool. Lol! Also the little beanies help since they lose a lot of heat out of their noggin. 
  • Options
    LO has to come with me to take DS to school and to all those early baby well visits. Otherwise we will be staying home! I'm thinking fleece sleepers, a hat, and a blanket will be plenty. Thankfully it usually warms up mid march. So I it won't be long LO will need to be so bundled. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am going to get a little snow suit thing because I will have to take the baby to the bus stop every morning and afternoon. For the car seat, I am planning on doing sleep and plays and a warm blanket. 
  • Options
    I could potientially seengetting one of you have to do a lot of walking or public transit. As others have said though you cannot use a snow suit or coat with a car seat, and they can actually start to over heat once you are in the warm car. 
    With my November baby we did a sleeper, cotton blanket and thicker blanket, hat, and the little shower cap looking cover over the car seat. Once in the car I opened the car seat cover, and removed the thick blanket. 
  • Options
    My January LO used to roast in his car seat. I over bundled him! I would just do layers- onesie, long sleeves and pants, socks and a warm hat- and then one of the car seat covers @meatballs37 posted- kept him plenty warm. I'll likely do the same this time. We did have a fleece snowsuit and a jacket someone bought us that we literally never used. He didn't need a jacket until the following winter when he was close to a year old, but never in the car seat! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 10/5/13 MMC 11/13/13 D&C 11/15/13
    BFP #2 5/14/14 EDD 1/19/15 Beta 1: 728 Beta 2: 1858 We have a heartbeat! 166 @ 7w3d  Please be our RAINBOW!
    Baby G is a BOY!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Both my kids were December so BTDT. Don't overachieve on the layers. Put them in what is comfortable in the house, then when going outside use blankets and a hat to cover up. On blanket the baby and one over the seat to protect from the cold air. The infant seats are hot so too much and the baby will be sweating. If you're just carrying them outside I'd recommend a fleece onesie type thing and a blanket over them and your shoulder. You don't need a bulky coat. 
  • Options
    Both my kids were December so BTDT. Don't overachieve on the layers. Put them in what is comfortable in the house, then when going outside use blankets and a hat to cover up. On blanket the baby and one over the seat to protect from the cold air. The infant seats are hot so too much and the baby will be sweating. If you're just carrying them outside I'd recommend a fleece onesie type thing and a blanket over them and your shoulder. You don't need a bulky coat. 
    Out of curiosity, what geographical area are you located in? I feel like fleece onesie and a blanket would not be enough for carrying outside (unless of course it was directly to the car or back inside some place). I have never had a winter baby though. Mine was July. I am in New England, so it can be brutal in February here. 
  • Options
    lainikins said:
    Out of curiosity, what geographical area are you located in? I feel like fleece onesie and a blanket would not be enough for carrying outside (unless of course it was directly to the car or back inside some place). I have never had a winter baby though. Mine was July. I am in New England, so it can be brutal in February here. 
    I am in Eastern Canada, North of you, and I can attest that that is enough for sure. With a hat too of course

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    sabriel1 said:
    lainikins said:
    I am in Eastern Canada, North of you, and I can attest that that is enough for sure. With a hat too of course
    Good to hear. That is why I was curious. I have to walk my kindergartener to the bus stop each day, starting as soon as I am home. I wanted to have a plan for that. Thanks. 
  • Options
    FTM due end of February, I have heard good things about just getting the convertible car seats like the Britax Boulevard but now I see all the discussion on keeping baby warm I'm considering an infant carrier at least until summer. What do you guys think?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    masopust said:
    FTM due end of February, I have heard good things about just getting the convertible car seats like the Britax Boulevard but now I see all the discussion on keeping baby warm I'm considering an infant carrier at least until summer. What do you guys think?
    For me, I preferred the carrier bc it was convenient. DS was born at the end of October, so it was nice bc it kept him warm. We were on the go a lot, dinner, shopping, visiting friends--so it was nice to carry that everywhere and DS could sleep in it (at a restaurant or shopping). 
  • Options
    masopust said:
    I prefer the infant carrier for at least the very first 6 months. Mostly because it is so handy to click it into a stroller and run errands without waking them up. They sleep a lot during those first few months. I would personally fork out the extra money to get one. I can't remember the lower end of the weight limit for our convertible seat for DD. But also, if your baby is born early or happens to be a peanut, the infant seats generally go down to a lower weight limit to start off with. 
  • Options
    masopust said:
    I see both sides to this. For my son, I wish I skipped the carrier. It was heavy and we lived on a 3rd floor walk up at the time. Plus my kid never slept and he hated the carrier. We switched out of the carrier into a convertible within a few months. We have since moved and I am going to try the infant carrier again (a new one, the old one has since expired) because it has the potential of being so convenient. Hopefully it goes much smoother having a door directly to my garage and not needing to climb 3 flights of stairs with the carrier and anything else I needed to bring up stairs. My son was a summer baby, so having it for warmth was not really an issue in the beginning. Come the winter time, he was fine with blankets over the convertible car seat. I think either way you go, it is workable. Having a convertible car seat was never an issue for us. I do not think I ever woke home up transferring him to a stroller. The minimum weight on the one we got was 5lbs, so most newborns should fit without issue. 
  • Options
    I definitely liked having the carrier for the first six months, but DS was a gem in the car seat so of course that helped. It was nice to have a safe place to set him when we had him out and about, and he slept through errands nicely. Also I liked having the car seat cover to keep strangers hands out and the sun off his face (July baby). We got his convertible seat around six months and I liked it better once he was bigger since I couldn't carry him anymore, but DH still uses the carrier sometimes and DS is 13 months (still within the weight limit of the seat). Another plus of the infant seat was that the grandmas could get extra bases to have in their cars and it made it easy to click him into whoever's car.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    @winnie1122 Yesssss about the extra bases.  I had one, DH had one, and my mom (who watched DS a few days a week) had one.  So nice not to have to worry about moving carseats around! 
  • Options
    I definitely liked having the carrier for the first six months, but DS was a gem in the car seat so of course that helped. It was nice to have a safe place to set him when we had him out and about, and he slept through errands nicely. Also I liked having the car seat cover to keep strangers hands out and the sun off his face (July baby). We got his convertible seat around six months and I liked it better once he was bigger since I couldn't carry him anymore, but DH still uses the carrier sometimes and DS is 13 months (still within the weight limit of the seat). Another plus of the infant seat was that the grandmas could get extra bases to have in their cars and it made it easy to click him into whoever's car.
    Be sure you check the length of your baby as well. Baby's pretty much always outgrow thier seat in length before weight and people don't realize because they are just focused on weight. DS2 was very petite and his car seat straps were not even at the top slots and he has outgrown in length. I believe some of the standard seats only go to 29.5 inches.

I'm sure you have this under control. Just wanted to mention since I was shocked that he has outgrown the seat where the straps weren't even in the highest position

• Options
    @sabriel1 True, DS isn't super long so he's still in the range but I am always feeling like he'll outgrow it any time! Definitely a good point though, some babies will outgrow it much sooner than others!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    This is such a helpful thread!  I live in the northeast, where it will be cold until mid-April or so, so being prepared for a couple of months of cold weather is important.  Thanks to everyone who's shared their experiences and suggestions! 
  • Options
    I had 3 bulky snow suits for my first.. He went in one of them once for 5 minutes - just long enough for me to take him out in the snow and snap a pic lol.

They can't be in bulky jackets in the car seat anyways so we just always dressed him normal and layered blankets over him. We also had a shower cap style cover for the infant carrier that worked great.