January 2018 Moms
Options

Book Worms Unite!

I did a search and didn't see any threads about books. I am a voracious reader and always looking for new book recommendations! Here are some questions to get us started:
1. What is your favorite book of all time?
2. What's your favorite series? You know the one I'm talking about, you've read it like 5 times.
3. What are you reading now?

Re: Book Worms Unite!

• Options
    jaclyn0405jaclyn0405 member
    edited July 2017
    @cricket99 yay this makes me so excited! I have a degree in English and have always loved to read ever since I was little.

1.  Favorite book of all time: To Kill a Mockingbird (I read it over and over again).
    2.  I don't know if I would say that I have a favorite series, but I have favorite authors that I go back to time and time again.  Ranging from Jennifer Weiner to Lisa Scottoline (yay both are Philly girls) to Ralph Waldo Emerson and Shakespeare.
    3.  Let's see right now I am reading approximately (5) different books haha.  They are: Your Pregnancy Week-by-Week; The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy; The Whole 9 Months (gives you the food you should be eating by week for baby and yourself); Extreme Ownership "How Navy Seals Act and Win" (which has been amazing for leadership fundamentals related to your teams at work); and I just had Thinkertoys "a handbook of creative-thinking techniques" delivered yesterday!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Cricket99 Great idea for a thread! And i also read trashy romance novels, so you're not alone :) Also, it's going to be very apparent that my taste in books has a theme haha

1. I don't know if i have a favorite book per se, but i definitely have favorite authors (meaning i love every single book they've ever written) - namely, Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen
    2. Probably the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I will probably be reading it all again from the beginning before the next book comes out next year :)
    3. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer. Probably my favorite of her books and i do re-read it frequently.  
  • Options
    Yay other crazy bookworms, and not just bookworms, scifi fans! :D 

I'm really not sure I can pick just one. In the interest of playing the game, I'll say The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. I love his unique dirty world and the people in it.

2. What's your favorite series? You know the one I'm talking about, you've read it like 5 times.
    This one is a no brainer - the Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold. Bujold is also my favorite author. @Cricket99 if you are a scifi fan and haven't tried them, I couldn't recommend them more highly!

Cetaganda - the fourth (depending on how you stack 'em) book in the Vorkosigan saga. I'm listening to it on audiobook while I do some really tedious work stuff. 
    Also What to Expect, because I'm pregnant and someone gave it to me. 
  • Options
    Yay! We haven't done one of these since the early days of the board. Thanks for starting it @Cricket99!

1. What is your favorite book of all time? Pride and Prejudice 

2. What's your favorite series? You know the one I'm talking about, you've read it like 5 times. O have 2 because I can't choose. LOTR and Harry Potter!

3. What are you reading now? In Bitter Chill by Sarah Ward. I just finally finished IT by Stephen King two weeks ago and needed something lighter.
  • Options
    clc515  I love the Ender series!  Did you read the other books in the "universe"?  my DH and I are listening to the Percy Jackson series on Audible now, I've read them all but its his first time, I'm always so excited when he likes books I like and we can talk about them lol!

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• Options
    1. What is your favorite book of all time? In Cold Blood. I had to read it for a book report for school in high school and it was just my kinda book. I'm a big true crime person.
    2. What's your favorite series? You know the one I'm talking about, you've read it like 5 times. I'm not a big series person. I know.. I know.
    3. What are you reading now? I have a few I picked up from Book of the Month club but I haven't even opened them. They're still in the box, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Since We Fell, and Into the Water are on my bookshelf.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop I haven't read that series, but I'm looking it up and probably putting it on my Amazon wish list. My favourite sci fi series will probably always be The Dragon Riders of Pern. I love the entire world that it's set in. I also really love The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin. I think that sits a little more in the fantasy category though. I like series and books that kind of blur the line between sci fi and fantasy.

@clc515 I love YA! I teach middle school English, so it's totally my jam. If you like the dystopian type novels I completely recommend The Atlantis Grail. Soooo good! 
  • Options
    I forgot to add in my original post because the fetus is stealing my brain power, but as a PSA to my fellow book worms, if you aren't already on BookBub, you should be! I have a kindle (mostly because we travel a lot, and secondarily because my toddler has a penchant for ripping paper books) and I get a daily email with books that have gone on sale. You can put in your personal preferences for genres, authors, and price range! So, basically I don't have to slog through the top 100 free bestsellers on Amazon every day. The email has 24 hour flash sales and the like, and I usually find at least one book that I'm interested in. Happy book buying!
  • Options
    1. What is your favorite book of all time? Ahh that's so much pressure. Maybe Good Omens.
    2. What's your favorite series? Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (children's), Abhorsen by Garth Nix (YA), Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (adult)
    3. What are you reading now? The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, but I'm not really into it. I just asked my FB friends for fantasy/scifi recs so I have a huge list to start on now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @sjb2215 Those were the 2 Moriarty books I liked most, actually. Then I just okay liked What Alice Forgot, and thought Truly Madly Guilty was way too drawn out and not as engaging as the others.

@cricket99 thanks for the recommendation! I know I listed a bunch of books I finished, and I was looking for what to read next!

@JuliaGoolia719  I've read a couple of the Bean books, but not all yet. I love Audible! I'm stiil working on DH listening to am audio book w/ me, haha, one day...

Another PSA: I rent audio books through my library using the OverDrive app :-) 
  • Options
    It's hard to pick a favorite. Anything by Jhumpa Lahiri ranks up there. Also love Jon Krakauer non-fiction (Into Thin Air). 
    I don't usually re-read but Harry Potter is my favorite series by far. 
    Just finished City on Fire (30 hours audiobook!) and Saints for all Occasions - excellent!

@ollydolly I love John Irving as well. A prayer for Owen Meany is a top 5 for sure 

@supercoolstephy In Cold Blood is incredible. I only read it recently and was spellbound 
  • Options
    It's been a long time since we did one of these!

1. Favorite book: 
    That's a cruel question that I don't even want to attempt to answer!
    2. Favorite series:
    Plus one for Harry Potter!
    I'm also a romance, YA, and fantasy fan, so when I read a series, that's what I gravitate towards.
    LOVE the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.
    Also, the Succubus Blues series by Richelle Mead.
    I recently read the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer and thought it was cute!
    3. Reading now?
    I just finished Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner about the Blitz of London (WWII). I really enjoyed it! I also started the Highland Guard series this week by Monica McCarty. If you like old school romance novels, you would probably like the series. I'm only on book 1, but it's decent so far!

I'm like you, @Cricket99! I usually alternate back and forth between heavy, impactful books and light reading (aka trashy romance novels). I feel like I need a break from the books that break my heart/consume my life, so after finishing one, I return to my first true love: the cheesy romance!
    I also second the Overdrive app! I NEVER pay for books! 
  • Options
    @sjb2215 I love The Giver as well. It was on the required reading list for 7th grade when I was teaching it. 

@shanski70 I read all the Madeline L'Engle books when I was a kid and loved them. I haven't re read them as an adult, but I feel like I should go do that now.
  • Options
    @shanski70 I love A Wrinkle in Time and the rest of the books by Madeleine L'Engle! I need to go back and re-read ;)

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    @missbaze & @cricket99 my aunt who is a librarian gave me my first copy of A Wrinkle in Time to read in second grade when I was flying to Ireland.  I devoured the book before we even landed and was hooked to all of Madeleine L'Engle's novels from that moment.  I've been a bit hesitant about the movie that is coming out, but the most recent preview for it makes me hopeful that they've stayed true to the spirit of the series. :)

Jan '18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    Mudge85Mudge85 member
    edited August 2017
    1. What is your favorite book of all time? I have such a hard time with this question... there are so many books I love... The Giver, Catcher in the Rye, Where The Red Fern Grows... so so so many.
    2. What's your favorite series? You know the one I'm talking about, you've read it like 5 times. The Hunger Games, The Queen of Babble Series or The Something Borrowed series...
    3. What are you reading now? What to do when you're having two... Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins and Lilac Girls (book club book this month!)
  • Options
    @Shanski70 I'm hesitant about the movie too but I'm hopeful! I remember the first time I saw the book, it was during library time in elementary school. I was fascinated by the cover and "needed" to read it. I don't think I actually borrowed it until 4th grade, but I've read it numerous times since then!

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    Has anyone read Into the Water yet? My copy is supposed to be here today and I'm so excited!
  • Options
    Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass series). Takes me to another place!

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (mixed reviews, but at least it's suspenseful).
    Audiobook: Starting The Oregon Trail today on the way to work. We will see! Trying to get into audiobooks. I love podcasts but man, audiobooks are tough for me. I will switch to Harry Potter if this doesn't work!
    On deck: Lincoln in the Bardo.

Loving all of these suggestions! I also use Overdrive through my library and it is life changing.

• Options

1. What is your favorite book of all time? The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

The Miss Match series by Erynn Mangum, The Savannah series by Denise Hildreth, and the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

I'm in between books. I just can't get motivated to pick up one right now. I know, shun me. I feel awful.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bkbaby18 we might be book twins! I adore "Into Thin Air" 

@schaze my copy is sitting right beside me. Just trying to get through the current novel I'm reading (committed as I'm 200 pages in). Really need to buckle down so I can read "Into the Water" 
    First timer! 
    BFP: May 6, 2017 EDD: Jan. 13, 2018
  • Options
    @ollydolly I'm reading my book like a fiend so I can get to Into the Water! I'm about halfway through so it'll just have to sit there for awhile.
  • Options
    @libbberty Pillars is one of my favorites too! Very good taste you have! :D 
  • Options
    @cyanope I was going to pick Succubus Blues as well. Rachelle Mead is one of my Favorite authors.

1. I don't have a favorite book. I find it way to hard to just choose one (I don't have a favorite movie for the same reason.

2. I have a few favorite book series. Since I already mentioned one I'll go with the Dark Swan series by Rachelle Mead. And the Selection series by Kiera Cass.

3. I'm not currently reading anything. I'm looking for another series to love. I'll have to sort through everyone's answers and see if I like anything to start on
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 the Selection series is my cruise reading! Two cruises now and I've reread it on them  :D we have a cruise coming up in September and I plan to read it again!
  • Options
    Has anyone read the Bitterbynde Trilogy? I got it on my kindle for cheap and I was looking for some reviews. If not, I'll let you know how it is when I finish.
  • Options
    Tough question. I love Pride and Prejudice so that's probably my top pick. 
    I love the Harry Potter series, the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas, and The Immortals by Tamora Pierce. 
    Just finished reading The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn. I'm also reading Ready Player One and What to Expect.   

• Options
    @clc515 - I love overdrive for library books! I just read the sequel to crazy rich Asians and liked it better (rich Asian girlfriend or something​)

1. The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara​ Kingsolver

2. Umm... I can't remember reading a series since middle School. 

3. Crossing the Horizon. It's about a couple other women pilots who were attempting the first flight across the Atlantic around the same time of Amelia Earhart.

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)