March 2018 Moms
Options

Teacher's Lounge

Shamelessly borrowed from February.  I think I've seen quite a few other teachers here and thought it be fun to start a teacher check-in.  We could make a monthly check in or just keep this thread rolling.

What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach?

When do/did you go back? Students?

Any new duties this year that you are questioning with pregnancy?

Any questions for STM+ teachers? Or just questions/concerns in general?

How many weeks do you plan to take off when baby arrives?

When do you plan on telling your students?

Me: 30 H: 30
Dx: PCOS
Married: June 2013
TTC#1: January 2015
BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
TTC#2: June 2017
BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18

Re: Teacher's Lounge

• Options
    What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? 8th grade English 

Tomorrow and students start Wednesday 

No. 

When do you plan on telling your students? Probably sometime in September after I tell my principal
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? Pre- K

August 28th is the first day of school!

I am moving classrooms before the new school year starts and really don't want to move all of my crap to my new room. I have had the same classroom for 3 years now so a lot of random stuff has been accumulated. 

Not yet! Still getting used to this whole pregnancy thing since this is my first! 

My job gives me 8, but I will be trying to use my PTO as well to stay at home a few more weeks until our summer camp starts! 

When do you plan on telling your students? Probably sometime in September. I would like to get to know my children and families a little more before announcing such personal information. I probably should think about also telling my directors as well.... 
  • Options
    Love this!

High school art classes.

I started 7/18 and students started 7/24 so this is our second week back.

Um yes, lol.  So my classroom has no windows and no door to outside.  So no good ventilation.  So when we do things like acrylic pain, wood burning, etc, I'm not sure what to do.  I maybe have to cut those projects entirely, which really bums me out.

So my high school has a day care on campus.  I'm a little unsure of the quality of it... has anyone else done an onsite daycare?

Going to a meeting tomorrow to determine that, but I'm hoping to take 6 months off (which would include the summer months)

When do you plan on telling your students? Probably just when I can't hide it anymore.
  • Options
    Great idea!
    What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? I spent the first 8 years of my career in a different district as a 9th and 12th grade teacher, and when a spot opened in a solid district where DH and I chose to plant our roots, I jumped at the opportunity, which makes me...dun dun dunnn...a middle school teacher now. :smiley: I taught 7th grade ELA last year and I will have 6th grade this year. They are totally quirky and weird, and I love them dearly, but I do miss my HS content!

I coach HS VB so I start August 14th with athletes. Students start the day after labor day. I'm an area facilitator for new teacher induction support programs, so I have a full day of presenting tomorrow and a week or so of new teacher leading to do in August. I love that part of my job!

Last time I coached while pregnant, I had to leave the season early due to preterm labor. I'm hoping since I'll be in my second trimester during the VB season that my body will manage the long hours on my feet. We shall see!

Not yet :smiley:

I think we may only be able to manage 8, then I will go back for 4 or 5, and then be home for the summer. We are still working that out!

When do you plan on telling your students? I'll probably tell my HS VB girls right away in August because it will impact how I play with them on the court. I'm hoping for an uneventful 2nd tri!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    TennisLove30TennisLove30 member
    edited July 2017
    @LiveNLove44 I taught HS English for 11 years. I miss the novels so much!  

I also coached tennis with with my first for the entire first trimester. It was pretty awful.  :D 
  • Options
    High school English, mostly sophomores and seniors

I go back Aug 14th, freshmen Aug 16th, all students Aug 17th

No, but this pregnancy provides the perfect excuse for not being department chair next year. I'm considered next in line and our current chair has said this is his last year. 

How do you juggle grading and spending time with your family? My husband often works evenings, so I had no trouble finding time after school in the past. 

We can take twelve weeks of sick days, so I plan on taking it all. If I hit my actual EDD, I should only need about 10 weeks until summer break kicks in. I'm hoping I don't need to come back for exams!

Because I have some seniors that signed up to have me again their last year, I'm probably going to tell them pretty quickly after Labor Day, which is the beginning of my second trimester. 
  • Options
    US History and Economics 9-12

We go back the 16th and I believe students are the 23rd.

Nothing new really. 

I don't know what my plans would look like for when I leave on Maternity leave?  Also, I'm on the end of a hallway by myself,with no close by classrooms so I have no idea how to handle going to the bathroom!

Ideally to the end of the year.  However, it will probably be around 8 weeks, with me coming back to work the last few weeks of May to June.

After Labor day most likely.  I'll need to tell my US history all year round students.  I'll be gone when they are preparing for state exam which has me nervous!!!

• Options
    SP128SP128 member
    @antoto  I can't believe you have been in school for that long already!  When did you get out for summer break?  What state do you live in?  BTW - wood burning sounds so cool!!

What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach?  Not a teacher but a school psych.  Can I still play?  I am assigned to one middle and one elementary school and some out of district cases.

When do/did you go back? Students?  Professional staff go back on 9/5 and students 9/6

Any new duties this year that you are questioning with pregnancy?  Nope

Any questions for STM+ teachers? Or just questions/concerns in general? Not yet.

How many weeks do you plan to take off when baby arrives?  DH and I were talking about this.  Since my school district starts so late, we usually get out mid to late June.  If I take about 10 weeks off I can go back to work for the last couple of weeks.  Not that I want to, but it's usually a slow time for me.  If I can get paid for kicking back and pumping so be it!

When do you plan on telling your students?  I don't have a class.  I think I'm going to wait until they ask.  I do some whole class lessons.  I mostly evaluate kids one on one.

***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I teach a supplemental science class to K-7 that focuses on zoology and botany, two 8th grade science classes, and a HS elective lab credit for life science.
    (I'm at a K-12 public charter)

I work year round, the students come back on August 8th. 

I have almost 200 animals that are in my classroom and I'm responsible for their care, along with some other teachers (depends on the day as we take turns), but I've been paranoid about transmission of parasites, so extra hand washing, gloves, and trying my best to not to come into contact with too much fecal matter. 

This is my second year teaching, and I was so sick off and on last year thanks to the kids. My concern is just trying to stay healthy this year and not let the fatigue take over. 

Probably 10-11 until school is out and then summer break! Hopefully! 

am still debating this, it depends on how my MS is able to be managed.... I will probably have to tell them if I end up needing to throw up during class.... really hoping I can wait until after Labor Day, as that will be my 12wk mark. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @crunchybiologist yep we are year round!  We start our summer the first week of June so we get 6 weeks off, which is still pretty good.  We get an extra week off for Fall and Spring break.  Which is nice here in Arizona since the summers suck but fall and spring are nice.
  • Options
    I was a 7th grade math teacher, but have been away from teaching since we started trying for our first baby. She turned out to be very challenging, and I wound up being a SAHM ever since. I'll go back eventually. Can I lurk here?
  • Options
    @antoto hey! I'm in AZ too! And yes, the longer breaks are sooooo nice to have later in the year. 
  • Options
    fullofhope25fullofhope25 member
    edited August 2017
    I am a professor at a graduate counseling program.

8/21 formally, but I have soooo many meeting I have to attend beginning 8/16. The people in my department have not met a meeting they did not love. Ha! I hate it!

Nope, but I am questioning one current duty - research and writing. It can be draining and time consuming. I am hoping I will be up for writing along with everything else that my position entails. 

I would be interested in hearing how others are going to handle maternity leave. I hate to just leave my students in mid March! 

I will only have to take off about 8 formal weeks because our semester ends for summer break on 5/12 and my EDD is 3/13. I plan to teach during summer, because that is extra money. However, summer classes do not start until the end of June. 

When I begin showing. Lol. 
  • Options
    high school biology 8th grade earth science and agriculture. I also teach a Bible class

I go back this Monday 8/7 and students return 8/16

dissections.. I'm worried that the smell with bother me. Also I'm concerned about field trips

none

due at the end of march and school gets out at the end of may so I will take the rest of the year off and start back after the summer break. Lord willing I will work up until our Easter break

I am more excited about telling my students than my family! But I don't know when I'll tell them. I am super bloated so I don't think I can hid for long. 

• Options
    2nd and 3rd grade reading and math support

Teachers went back yesterday and students start Monday (8/7).

I have to lead a lot of PD for the grade levels I support, so I'm worried about who will take over when I'm on leave.

not that I can think of

8 or whatever gets me to the end of the school year

After the first trimester...I need cute ideas!
  • Options
    What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? PreK-5th grade Music

9/1 for me and 9/5 for the kids

Not that I'm aware of

How will I have the time and energy between work and my toddler?  My husband is away for work much of the time...

The remainder of the school year.

When do you plan on telling your students? Not sure.. but would be interested in some cute ideas.
  • Options
    7-12 English 

We start back 8/14. Students start 8/21.

We're implementing a new 9-12 curriculum. We're using Springboard this year. I'm also heading the reading incentive program k-12. Sadly, I'll have to give up acting as head coach for the basketball team. My assistant and I are swapping so I won't have to travel so much. I live off the road system in AK, so we fly every weekend. It's exhausting. I'll be glad to have a break, but I'm super bummed.

Any STMs have their kiddos while teaching in rural Alaska? I'd love to know about what's you did when it was time to wait in ANC or a similar place.

We get 12 weeks of maternity leave. The first 3 I'll spend in Anchorage waiting for Baby. Hopefully, the last 9 weeks will get me through until summer. I haven't done the math yet, so I might have to go back for a week.

We miscarried in March at 18 weeks, so I probably won't tell them until they start asking. However, I live in a baby crazy village and have some of my appointments at the local clinic, so a lot of people will probably know before we announce. 
    JGL
  • Options
    6-8th grade Art

I go back Aug 21, students Aug 24

No, but I guess Art Club will only meet 1st semester. I am definitely questioning my regular duties, but know my students and other art teacher will help me out. There is a lot of lifting with clay. 

No, but I'm sure as soon as I hit enter I will :) 
    12, but I'm expecting twins and thinking I may have to take some of that time before they are born. In that case I'd have to go back for a bit at the end of the year. 

Oh gosh I don't know!! They ask me all the time if I'm pregnant anyway (despite my slender figure!). I would have such a hard time lying to them. I'm really struggling with wanting to tell them early so they can help with more, plus I've been throwing up a bit so there's that... And also I want to wait a long time. 
  • Options
    patti888patti888 member
    edited August 2017

I taught 5th grade the last three years and this year I'm teaching 3rd (all subjects)

I go back the 14th kids the 23rd after the solar eclipse

Definitely a little nervous this year it's a new school and new grade for me.

Hoping to take atleast 4 weeks off but hopefully more depending on if they give me my saved sick days from my last school.

I'm thinking I'll tell them in November when I know the gender.

• Options
    I'm a primary (elementary)  school teacher in Australia, so reading all your comments are absolutely fascinating to me! So many differences! 

Grade 2 (7/8 year olds) 

Currently mid 3rd term. 2 weeks of holidays coming up 6 weeks from now. 

The only thing bothering me is the chance of catching something from my little darlings... Slap cheek is going round my school and that's a bad one for baby. 

Not yet! 

In Australia we get 3 months paid maternity leave and most people take the full year off. I also have the option of up to 7 years (unpaid) leave with the guarantee of a job at the end. Really not sure what I'll do yet, I'll take the year as a minimum. 

When do you plan on telling your students? I'm dying to tell them, they'll be so excited. Probably when the first trimester is over! 

Thanks so much for starting this board! It's lovely to read about people in a similar position! 
  • Options
    What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? I've taught 2nd for 10 years and will be teaching 3rd for the first time this year!

I go back August 14th, students start the 16th.

Being in a new grade level, ha

Nope

I get 6 weeks paid unless it's a c-section, then I'd get 8. 6 weeks will leave me with 2-3 weeks left at the end of the year depending on how close to my due date I am. So I'll probably have to go back...2-3 weeks unpaid probably won't work for us. Plus my mom and mil would probably be able to watch the baby for us.

When do you plan on telling your students? I'll definitely be waiting until after first tri is over... Not sure how much longer I'd be able to hide it though. I know it's just bloat, but I've definitely already got a pooch going. I'll have 7 or 8 of my students from last year, so I'm excited to see how they react.

• Options
    So my inservice week schedule letter came in the mail Saturday. How is it that time again so soon? 
  • Options
    So how are you guys telling your principal?  I kind of just want to send an email....
  • Options
    antoto said:
    So how are you guys telling your principal?  I kind of just want to send an email....
    @antoto I've just been thinking about this, too. I'm friends with a lot of my coworkers, and I'm sure someone is going to let it slip before publicly I "announce" and I'd really rather not have that be the way my principal finds out. Our principal is great, but he's not as engaged with the family side of things as I'd say my AP is. My AP has twin girls my DD's age, and we've talked at length about kids, so I kind of want to tell her and just let the information get to him that way. I obviously have to formally submit a request to the board for FMLA, but that isn't until December.

As for email or otherwise, I'm more inclined to do it in person. Our school operates that way when it comes to things like this, so I will probably follow suit.

• Options
    antoto said:
    I scheduled a meeting with mine during a prep and told her. 
  • Options
    I work the summer program at our school so I'm there pretty much all summer but I told my director because I needed some extended time off for appointments. I went into her office and told her in person, which was kind of petrifying since she's a little intimidating! She was so excited for me and has checked in on me many times throughout the day to make sure I haven't needed anything. She has been more considerate than I was expecting her to be, which has been nice. She is not the easiest person to get along with. 
  • Options
    Bringing this back as we get closer to the school year.

How are things going for those that are back or starting very soon?

Also, I went into school today to move my crap stuff from my old classroom to my new classroom.  Did not find the motivation to actually put said stuff away and do some organizing, but I'm happy I got it moved so the new teacher who is getting my old room can start getting moved it.

Briefly thought about telling my principle the news, but just couldn't do it before the NT scan. 
  • Options
    I have been back since the 1st. My classes have been great so far, but I'm exhausted. 
  • Options
    New school year starts on the 28th but I've been cleaning and prepping for the new school year already. I'm excited for a new year and I'm moving up with my current children so I'm excited to continue to watch them grow! I can't wait to tell them I'm expecting but waiting until after we settle into our routine before telling them the exciting news! 
  • Options
    I teach I teach preschool
    our first day was 8/14
    I'm eventually going to make a shirt that says something cute, more for the grown ups than the kiddos. 
    I'm a little nervous being on the floor with the kids, worried if they jump on my tummy or anything. 
    I'm hoping if everything works out, I'll be an at home mommy!
  • Options
    I've been back to school since the 8th. Going well, but I'm really exhausted every day after school. My 8th graders figured out I'm pregnant two days ago, and I'm a bad liar so I couldn't deny it..... so the whole school probably knows by now. 
  • Options
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I'm student teaching HS English in September. I used to be excited,  but since I feel so exhausted and sick, I'm losing momentum. I'm new to the area I live now, my husband is in the military, and my old school in MO has had to set something up for me here in VA. Hopefully I do okay. It's just a new experience all around. Since I'm not actual working, no worries on the time off. I don't think the kids will care (they dont know me), but I will tell them if I'm still spontaneously puking by then.  ;)
  • Options
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I'm student teaching HS English in September. I used to be excited,  but since I feel so exhausted and sick, I'm losing momentum. I'm new to the area I live now, my husband is in the military, and my old school in MO has had to set something up for me here in VA. Hopefully I do okay. It's just a new experience all around. Since I'm not actual working, no worries on the time off. I don't think the kids will care (they dont know me), but I will tell them if I'm still spontaneously puking by then.  ;)
    If you're student teaching you'll be completely in charge of at least one class and your students will definitely care.
  • Options
    @becausescience I moved my stuff the other day, too, and now I'm rearranging. My APs brought some books down that were shipped to the school, and they wouldn't let me move my bookshelves all by myself because I'm pregnant. It was super nice of them to move some things, but I felt stupid because I'm not incapable just because I'm pregnant. :neutral:

Things are going well so far this week. I am in the gym for about 6-7 hours a day for preseason, which has been a lot of activity. Last night I started having some cramping like I pushed too hard yesterday, so I need to scale back how hard my workouts are in the morning if I am going to make it through the day with good health and energy. It's just hard because I felt really good in the morning!

I'm headed to go buy a new pair of shoes for the school year. For the last few years, I've wised up and started purchasing much more comfortable shoes than I've had in the past. When I'm on my feet all day and then coach all night, I can't afford to NOT take care of my feet. My whole body aches if I don't! I'm tempted to go around and buy a few pairs of different shoes that are super comfortable...we'll see what's out there!

Do any teachers have favorite shoes for standing and walking all day??

• Options
    Do any teachers have favorite shoes for standing and walking all day??
    Clarks, Born, and Naturalizer. My bit of advice is don't be frugal when buying shoes for work. I'm a cheap person, but believe me, it's worth it to take care of your feet when you're on them all day.
  • Options
    tracyjean22tracyjean22 member
    edited August 2017
    I saw this post up a few days ago and hadn't had the chance to come in and fill it out. Turns out everything just changed for me so I am just going to fill you in with a quick paragraph. I had posted about two weeks ago about a job interview and I did not get the position. The principal  encouraged me to apply for a 3rd grade position instead but I didn't since I'm pregnant and school is going to start soon. It just seemed like a lot to take on. Well... The principal ended up reaching out to me asking me to apply so I did. He wanted me to interview this coming Monday but I had to tell him I technically go back to work that day and I would not be able to make it at the time he asked. He didn't respond to me all day yesterday so it was looking grim... But then around 830 last night I get an email saying that a 4th grade position just opened back up and since I already interviewed for that grade I would not have to come back in and he would recommend me for hire if I am willing to accept. I responded back saying absolutely. He said great and he would reach out to HR in the morning. I got an email from HR this morning offering me the job... I went to the central office and passed in a bunch of paperwork. I resigned from my current job. I then emailed him the principal to check in about orientation (which was today and I missed it because I literally was just hired) I also want to know when I can get into my classroom because I need to move things from one school to another. He has yet to get back to me and it has me kinda freaking out. Like this whole thing was a dream... Haha. Also I didn't disclose the pregnancy and I don't intend on telling them until I have to (I'm thinking 16 weeks - showing). But with that... I will also probably only get 6 to 8 weeks and most of it unpaid. I feel like the whole thing might have been a big risk... But the pay scale is so much better and I've literally been trying to move from private to public school for the past 6 years. I don't know if anyone has advice or words of wisdom starting a new position while pregnant... But I'm definitely feeling pretty stressed at the moment. 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @becausescience
    Thanks for the reminder! Having spent all my time with students either once a week for a month or just one day as a sub, I have never actually forged a real relationship with more than a few students at a time.
  • Options
    @HappyMonkey817 I like Clarks and Born, too! 

I ended up buying three pairs, two of which were Cobb Hill (Rockport) and Clarks. I learned as I was waitressing through college that you can't spare too many dimes when it comes to the right shoe for those who work on their feet for a living! I think I'm most looking forward to the Cobb Hill shoes because my old pair has finally walked its last day, so I'm due for a fresh pair.