January 2018 Moms
Options

Feeding Your Baby!

Re: Feeding Your Baby!

• Options
    @bainidhedub it just takes a bit of practice. I had my pump ready, latched the baby, then grabbed the pump. If you set it up ahead of time it's totally doable. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 It's SO FUNNY you said that. The night my milk came in with DD I DID snap a photo and sent it to my sister because it was OBSCENE (which is also the reason that I immediately deleted the photo!). I couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness of the size difference.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    @EmilyLove25 My mom took me shopping for nursing bras the day my milk came in and in the first dressing room I yelled "Holy shit, I look like a terribly drawn anime!" Kinda wish I'd grabbed a photo too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    Oh man I didn't think about taking a pic of my boobs the morning my milk came in. Best day of my boobs' life, they will never look so good again lol
  • Options
    I was an Exclusive pumper for 10 months with my son, and had a great experience with the Medela PIS. I also second the pumping bra. I used the Medela one, but went through 3 of them because the zipper broke on all of them (maybe because i was using it 5-6 times a day). 

This time, i will be getting this pumping bra that came recommended from our local breastfeeding/health care organization, that i hope will be a game changer for me! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I called my insurance today and ordered the Spectra S2 after reading awesome reviews on Amazon. Gotta take advantage of getting that free breast pump while you can because who knows what the healthcare system will be like in a few months. Shudder. I'm excited to try this one out! 
  • Options
    @fishee333 I don't know how I missed your post before I wrote mine, but yes, what you said!  I'm so thankful for the shield as well, otherwise I wouldn't have had success either. 
    3 MCs
    1 Rainbow Baby: Born 4/4/15
    BFP: 4/23/17  EDD 1/5/18
  • Options
    I'm glad to have this thread! BF is making me nervous, honestly. My sister nursed for 13 and 24+ months, SIL is still nursing at 24 months, and then my mom BF all 7 kids and supplemented very little. With that track record I feel pressure to succeed already (all me--not them!) and I'm honestly not very excited about it! I hope with a lot of preparation I'll feel more comfortable. My midwives are very supportive and start to educate you early on in pregnancy so I have hope! Lol.
  • Options
    @agalvarado THIS!!! Yes!!! Last time I felt so much disappointment and guilt in myself for not being able to get it to work. This time I'm planning better, I know more of what I'm up against and hopefully it will work. I was too scared and embarrassed to utilize the lactation consultants, not this time. I'm going to be scheduling appointments with them before I'm out of the hospital. haha Kidding of course, but I'm totally going to be utilizing their services this time if I need it.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just ordered my pump. Figured I'd get it done in case there are changing in coverage for those things. I picked up the Spectra S1. I've heard so many great things about it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy That's the pump I'm getting as well. My insurance doesn't cover it, but I know a number of mommies that LOVE IT. And it's relatively inexpensive compared to others.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    @missblaze my insurance covers a portion of it, so I'm only paying the upgrade fee of $95, I went through Aeroflow to get mine again. Worth it to me. Last time I got the basic Medela pump that was 100% covered and it just didn't work with me and my body.

Also, last time I was the first of my moms in my group to have their baby which I didn't mind but the BF/Pumping thing stressed me out, this time I'm at the end of everyone here so I'll be able to learn from everyones tips and tricks to pumping and latching. I really want this to work this time.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy and @missblaze - i just ordered a Spectra S1 too! The one thing i don't like about it, is that it doesn't come with a tote bag or anything like the Medelas do. My insurance covers it 100%....it's interesting how some insurance companies will cover some things like this and others don't...
  • Options
    It looks like my insurance company will cover Medela Pump in Style (with no accessories) or Spectra S2 (with no accessories) or Hygeia Enjoye (with a HUGE accessory kit.) I admit to being tempted by not having to buy the accessories separately... but I haven't seen anyone else say they used the Hygeia. Anyone? 
  • Options
    Two last things I wanted to add to this awesome thread:

1. I got way more milk pumping with a manual hand pump than I ever did with an electric with DS1, so if you're not getting anything, that might be worth a shot.
    2. This youtube series, by breastfeedingnz, is BY FAR my favorite breastfeeding resource.  I learned more from watching this (7 chapters total) than I did from reading, the also very good: So That's What They're There For, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding.  I even thought it was world's better than the hospital class I took.  Watching good latches and really seeing what that looked like helped so much more than just knowing the theory of it.

And finally: I think someone mentioned Aeroflow upthread, but I just wanted to give them another plug.  They make getting your pump through insurance super easy! 
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    Just jumping in to say Kellymom is a great breastfeeding resource

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @bainidhedub wonderweeks was so great. I was sad when DS was out of the age range. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes to what @KatieEl said about watching latch videos. I got sick of having horribly sore nips. I mean bad cracks and that infamous toe curling pain so I took to YouTube and watched all the latch videos I could find. The deep latch is critical and figuring it out with a tiny baby mouth can be so tough. Sometimes I'd hype myself up before a feeding by watching a latch video! 
  • Options
    Bumping since we're so close now, and some of us are already here! (and tagging @conineml!)
  • Options
    Love this! Thanks @schaze! For the moms that pump at work...besides a pumping bra (which I didn't realize was a thing...oh FTM over here! lol) what should we have prepared to go back to work? Did one pump work better for traveling/working while pumping over another? Since we have a community fridge how did storing milk and parts go for everyone? Should I bring a cooler to work as well? Nervous people will freak out if I have milk/parts, etc in the fridge they store their lunch in...
  • Options
    I never used a pumping bra but may look into getting one this time. I stored my parts in a lunchbox (to look discreet at work) in the fridge- parts were placed inside a walmart bag. Also, when you’re doing it that way you don’t have to wash the parts after every use bc who has time for that- took me a little while to figure that out. I would just take the parts home and soak it in hot soapy water in my kitchen sink at home. I also stored the bottles in the lunchbox as well. 
  • Options
    @sbishop426 good idea!  That way I can store them in the fridge but maybe people wont really notice it!  I really hated the idea of bringing a cooler too, but definitely didn't want to hear the noise from folks about their lunches and breast milk...if it happens (maybe it wouldn't...)
  • Options
    A hands-free pumping bra was a necessity for me! I also just stored my parts in the fridge between pumping sessions. 
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    edited December 2017
    Pump, medela cleansing wipes, mini cooler, and bottles were in my pump bag and the whole bag went in the fridge. I didn’t transfer to milk storage bags until I got home. I also kept a manual pump at work just in case of a power issue or malfunction. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don’t know what type of job you have but without a hands free pumping bra, you won’t have hands! It was a game changer when I got mine! You can work (or Bump!) while you have it. I had a small black bag that holds bottles of milk in the fridge-looks like a lunch bag so no one would know (although F anyone who cares!). Also depending on your set up you might need an extension cord, just think about logistics. I also ABSOLUTELY need a sign for my door that says, “pumping in progress, DO NOT DISTURB.” I work with entitled (lol!) college students, so mine had to be direct. Even with a locked door, someone knocking REALLY disrupted me and the more relaxed I was, the more milk I got! I also did not transfer to bags until Home and never needed a cooler. One other thing-I don’t know what you’d commute is but mine is an hour, so the travel adapter made it so on busy days I could pump in the car. I had to be tricky but it worked and REALLY helped my supply!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    I agree with @EmilyLove25, last time my commute was over 30 minutes. I pumped while I drove with a handfree pumping bra and a lab coat on backwards. It got me extra sessions in, but current job is too close to home to plan on doing this again.

• Options
    Several of you mentioned a manual pump, which do you recommend? I already have a PISA from DS and don't pump much since I SAH, so manual might be the way to go this time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @maueraa07
    I have the Medela manual. I didn’t love it or hate it. I preferred to the electric but had for supply drops or in a pinch.

• Options
    I've picked up the Spectra S1 pump. I'm planning to use the Medela accessories, not because I already own them because I got rid of them. But because they are cheaper than the spectra accessories and because there is no way these lady lumps will fit into those 24 mm flanges they come with. haha This is the hack I found, but essentially you just need this part from Maymom - https://www.amazon.com/Maymom-Backflow-Protector-Spectra-Flanges/dp/B01E3W689M.

I picked up these Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pumps, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKVWBFG. Not to manually pump or anything but my friends have all said how awesome they are for when you get out of the shower and are leaking, or when you're breastfeeding on one side so you're collecting whats leaking from the other boob.

I've mentioned that I'm bringing my pump with me to the hospital when I deliver and I know that some of you have mentioned that your hospital doesn't want you to bring your own, I'd still bring a hands free bra with you because its so helpful to have, even when you're in the hospital. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning on bringing LO to work with me so I won't be pumping often, but I do want to build up a supply in the freezer. Suggestions for doing that? Also, is an electric pump even worth it in this case?
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 and @Dani0329 so my commute is 45 min.  Normally I carpool with another coworker, but if it really does help to pump while driving I can back out of the carpool...  Would you say it was absolutely worth it?
    What tops fit best over the pumping bra or how did you cover up during the commute?  And I totally agree with you @EmilyLove25 on the fridge!  I mean I don't really care but I can only imagine the conversations that would be had if it was noticed!  Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and absolutely no one would care!  
    Ugh I really wish I could go ahead and order the pump so I could make sure I get alll the pieces I need!  SOOOOO Annoying!
  • Options
    I will admit that I don't know too much about pumping as a FTM, but I am hoping to get the hang of it quickly.  I have purchased a hands free pumping bra and ordered the Spectra through my insurance (although they won't ship it until I have the baby, annoying).  They are also renovating an unused conference room space in my building currently for a Mother's Room.  It will have a fridge, couch, lounge chair and end tables and keys will only be given to new mamas.  I am happy to have a place to go that is comfy instead of my office like I had originally planned.
  • Options
    @conineml So what I typically would do is wear a nursing tank top or some tank with straps that were easy to pull down and a cardigan/shrug over it. I would put the nursing bra on before I left for work under the tank top and then just unhook the straps and have the cardigan over. Yes, if someone were to stare in my car it would look weird and they could figure out what I was doing, but the hands free pumping bras cover a lot, so you don't see my actual boobs just tubes coming out lol. As to if it is worth it, it really depends. Things to consider: You could end up having an over supply or being a solid producer and not really needing it. Can you pump right when you get to work? If so, it's less important. Are you prone to engorgement? You  might need it!

For me, it was definitely essential. BUT I had a hard time getting a lot of milk when I pumped, so every session was critical--like I literally needed the 4 ounces I would get on the drive in order to keep DD EBF (with no formula) for the first 17 months--and it also helped keep my supply higher (I noticed this over time). 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @EmilyLove25 good to know!  I guess I can see how it goes on maternity leave and make a decision closer to coming back to work.  I'll keep all that in mind though and consider the options and money spent on gas vs. formula/breast milk needs.  I'm going to chat with the newest mom at work soon and see how she handles pumping at work.  I know we have a room set up downstairs so that's a plus but I don't know if it has a fridge or anything like that where we could keep supplies during the day...and if I'll need that extension cord you suggested  :| Feeling slightly unprepared for this part of the journey!  I guess I just thought it would happen or it wouldn't...oh lord.