August 2017 Moms
Options

UO 7/27

It's Thursday again, that means it's time for some unpopular opinions! 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO 7/27

• Options
    @SpotConlon I completely agree and refuse to buy it. 

I love having visitors when I have babies. I get so bored being by myself and love having people over to love on my baby. No one ever takes advantage of it or does things to annoy me. I asked my pediatrician about it with DD and he said just to watch out for the toddlers that will sneeze on the baby. Everyone else is fine lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SpotConlon I hate the sport stuff as well.  DH and I are not sporty, but DH does like to play soccer, and hes a runner, so I have looked for things more related to that, however, we really havent found anything. We did get one jersey for our local football team (Patriots), but I truly do not care about football.  Ill probably put the onesie on him once, take a photo and he will never wear it again.  

**TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    @SpotConlon me too! DH is a huge "car guy" and I just assumed there would be more sets with little cars on them but mostly it's been sports crap and fire trucks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The gendered patterns (sports, tools, etc) technically bother me too, as girls can be just as interested in that stuff. But, I'm a hypocrite who's going to dress my girl in pinks and ruffles. Because the really girly stuff is just too damn cute for words. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    emmeline714emmeline714 member
    edited July 2017
    Girl's clothes have girly stuff and that is why I refuse the color pink. The surprise baby shower my mom threw for us that is what I mostly got for clothes. So much Pink that I now dislike the color but since she got like over 100 outfits I refuse to go exchange them because at this point I don't even want to leave to go grocery shopping. 
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    The gendered patterns (sports, tools, etc) technically bother me too, as girls can be just as interested in that stuff. But, I'm a hypocrite who's going to dress my girl in pinks and ruffles. Because the really girly stuff is just too damn cute for words. 

+1 for being a hypocrite!
    I'm team green and one of the reasons is that I don't want my baby to have a heavy gender specific wardrobe but yesterday I was at Nordstrom Rack and had to buy this dress! If I have a boy I'll give it to my niece. 

• Options
    DeansGirl14DeansGirl14 member
    edited July 2017
    @lewliv
    That dress is adorable and I'm a friggin' sucker for Kate Spade. I'm going to pretend I didn't see that and I'm also going to try very hard now not to stalk the KS website sale page and buy little moto jackets and tutus. Damnit. 

ETA: who was I kidding, I went to the KS website. So much baby/toddler cuteness. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    +1 to being a hypocrite, if I had had a girl.  However, I made it pretty clear that the nursery would be exactly the same as it is now if this kid had been a girl.  I also kept telling DH about all the alien/nerdy stuff that our little girl would have had.  I have no problem shopping in both sections for clothes, but I draw the line a ruffles on my boy.  My mom really wanted me to have a girl, and she kept looking at the ruffle butt diaper covers, and wanted me to get them for him.  There was no way that was going to happen! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Options
    I always see ads for Princess Awesome dresses on my Facebook. It's a little on the spendier side (I am a cheapskate), but I like that it's dresses with dinosaurs and rockets and stuff.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I always see ads for Princess Awesome dresses on my Facebook. It's a little on the spendier side (I am a cheapskate), but I like that it's dresses with dinosaurs and rockets and stuff.
    These are so great! I agree it's a little pricey for kids that grow so quickly but I love the intent. 
    Pinned it to Pinterest so I don't forget. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's funny I bought all these super cute dresses and onesies for DD, and since she's been home she lives in about three different Kimono style tops that are super easy to put on and off. I quickly stopped caring about what she was wearing when I was changing her so often!  I'm sure once she gets a little older I will start putting her and all those cute outfits :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @secicc12 I love those kimono tops. That's what they put DS in at the hospital and I bought some this time for LO. 
  • Options
    The kimono thing makes me think,  I actually hate onesies. I know they are necessary when they are little, especially in winter to keep tummies covered, but I prefer rompers or t shirts. The bigger and wigglier DS got, the more I hated onesies, especially in the car. They caused his diaper to scrunch up and he would leak. As soon as I stopped putting him in onesies, I noticed the leaking stopped.  He's always been in bigger sizes as he's a big boy, now in 3T/4T at just over 2 so he outgrew them, but when I see pics of babies from my last BMB at 2 wearing them I cringe. DS is a pain to change as it is and I can't imagine that extra step of trying to snap those. 
  • Options
    I was amazed at how soon DS showed a preference for "boy" things.  As much as we tried to give a balance of toys he always gravitated to the car and truck toys.  At 18 months he pulled a fire truck shirt out of the laundry and has had strong opinions about his clothes ever sense.  And at the same time we have a lot of friends with little girls who refuse to go without a tutu or dress on.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Let me ruffle some feathers by saying the pink starbursts are disgusting. If friendships were based on this, I'd be even lonelier.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @aehogan90 we can be BFFs!  I HATE the pink ones.  Im all about red and yellow! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    shyviolet said:
    I was amazed at how soon DS showed a preference for "boy" things.  As much as we tried to give a balance of toys he always gravitated to the car and truck toys.  At 18 months he pulled a fire truck shirt out of the laundry and has had strong opinions about his clothes ever sense.  And at the same time we have a lot of friends with little girls who refuse to go without a tutu or dress on.  

Isn't it so interesting?! My daughter is 15 months but has been loud, rough, and wild from the beginning. We have a wide range of toys that she plays with. She loves being outside, playing in the dirt, throwing and kicking things, etc. Within the past 2 weeks or so, she has decided to carry her baby doll around everywhere. It's SO sweet because she'll push the baby in the stroller, put her in the swing...but I certainly didn't encourage it over any other toy. Hoping she will be sweet like that to her brother. But it also proves that kids are the way they are biologically, from birth (even beyond the gender/sex topic), and that it's probably a lot more of the biological makeup than environmental (even though I know environment plays a role too). DD will be a tomboy, i'm sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    My UO is I HATE pink. We're team green which has just always been what I wanted but one plus I see to that is no pink until after the baby is born if it's a girl. We do, on the other hand, love the sports stuff so I have burp cloth sets and things with baseballs and footballs already. I have a super tiny newborn onesie that says "little slugger" that I gave to DH when I told him we were pregnant and if this LO comes out small, I might use that as the coming home outfit, even if we have a girl. I'm hypocritical in that I think girls can wear boy things but not the other way around (although toys are fair game). DH has said he's raising a boy either way - I know he'll love a daughter so much and she'd have him wrapped around her finger but he is at a loss with anything remotely girly. I think it's great he wants to play sports and all that with either gender (I do, too).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @littlebug2010 I could sit here and eat an entire bag of red ones. Those are the best!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @aehogan90 YES red starburst for life
  • Options
    @kvh22 DH was hoping we'd have a boy because he had grand visions of taking a son to baseball and football games. I told him, even before we knew we were having a girl, that he could do those exact activities with a girl too. As soon as we found out this baby was a girl he immediately got on board with grand visions of spending Sundays watching football with his daughter. It's sweet. (That also means if they watch sports together I get "me time" because I don't really watch sports on TV!) We were gifted tons of local sports team onesies for her too. 

I love pink starburst! Actually I love all starburst. Now I crave starburst. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kvh22 your UO is funny, becuase its the complete opposite of my mother.  She LOVES pink, way too much.  When I was born, I was always in pink, bows attached to my head, etc.  But as I got older, I gravitated towards blues and greens for color, and refused to wear dresses for a long time.  I wasnt a tom boy, but I wasnt the girly girl my mom hoped for.  My sister is way more girly, but she is so much like my mother, that a lot of the time, they dont get along! I feel like kids do what they want, even if the parent tries to get them to do the opposite! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    I'm definitely a pink and ruffles type for this girl and she has some super cute name brand outfits (DH's cousin got her some Kate Spade outfits) and they'll be fabulous for photos but otherwise I've just gotten onesies or tshirts with little shorts or leggings (I did refuse to buy anything that said "cutie" or anything like that -- makes me uncomfortable for some reason). We bought pretty much anything if it had a dog on it or pertained to puppies lol We did also find girl's dinosaur tops and PJ's so my DH grabbed those immediately (he genuinely loves himself a dinosaur lol). I personally CAN be girly and I do enjoy it from time to time, but sometimes you just can't beat a comfy tshirt and jeans or leggings. If she wants to stray away from pink and ruffles as she gets older then so be it as long as it's not low cut v necks and short shorts we're solid haha. I went through a phase where I refused to wear skirts or dresses and I wore the same old navy sweatshirt every day. Wasn't a tom boy by any means just learning to be comfortable in my own skin. It took me until college/adulthood to get there. 
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @DeansGirl14 Glad your DH realized he can watch sports with his daughter :) Some of my best memories with my dad growing up are going to Red Sox and Bruins games. He would take me and my older brother on our own in equal proportion which I give him serious credit for.

@littlebug2010 100% yes to this. It amazes me how different I am from my mom and my sister, but the 3 of us are so close so it's great at the same time. Despite hating pink, I'm a lot more girly than them, but I'm also more of a tomboy than either of them, too. They don't care about clothes/hair/makeup...or sports...like I do. I always wanted to wear dresses (never pink) and play with the boys at the same time. My mom didn't know what to do with me. I actually think I hate pink because it looks godawful on me (red hair with slightly pink undertones in my skin). Anyways, to your point, I will probably end up with a daughter who loves pink :D . At least the odds are she'll look like my husband (tan with dark features) so pink will actually look good on her.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    Re: Clothes geared at one gender or the other
    I've been pleasantly surprised with Carter's/Oshkosh and how much dinosaur stuff they have for girls. DD has multiple dinosaur shirts from there. She also wants to wear her "Dino Expert" shirt every day which we bought at a Children's Museum. We also had a space shirt from Oshkosh that she out grew. Yet, she says her favorite color is pink and blue is for boys. We have not ever told her this so she must just naturally pick it up when we are out and about?

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker