August 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Measuring Small

Anyone else around 37 weeks and baby measuring in the 18th percentile? They're repeating a growth scan again on Thursday and if there isn't marked change, they said we'd discuss early delivery. I just feel like that seems like a bit of a leap? I know under 25% is below normal, but I thought IUGR is under 10%? Anyone else have similar experience? 

Re: Baby Measuring Small

• Options
    bumpybumpbumpybump member
    edited July 2017
    I was monitored for DD being small from weeks 22-38. I had ultrasounds every other week. At week 38 she gained and everything was fine. They still induced me a day after my EDD due to her being "small."  She was born at 7 lbs 3 oz and although she's been petite since after birth, she's totally healthy.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I've been measuring small. Not sure on percentile but a week to two weeks behind (varies at each ultrasound). My Dr never seems concerned just says she is little. My Dr hasn't mentioned induction for that reason but I am choosing to be induced on due date (my work schedule, bfs work schedule, having care planned for my son who I share custody with, etc etc)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bumpybump
    Isn't 7lbs + totally normal/average? I thought anything sub-7 was starting to be on the petite side. 

For OP, try not to worry and just trust your doctor. I had a growth scan at either 32 or 34 weeks (can't remember now) and they said she was a bit smaller than average, but she's caught back up with a growth spurt. Also note that doctors are notoriously not accurate in their estimations of weight. What my doctor says matters is that the body parts are proportional. If they detected a head that was much bigger than the torso, that's cause for concern; but if the head and torso are proportional than a smaller baby is just a smaller baby. 

Good luck, I hope everything's good with your little one. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 yes, 7 lbs is fine. As I said, from week 38 on she really gained in size (why they stopped ultrasounds). I also said she has been petite ever since birth (% and scale wise). 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    This happened to me with my last baby. She was measuring 2-3 weeks small in all of the ultrasounds. I'm not sure of percentage. The doctor mentioned inducing early and I asked why. He basically said because they didnt know why she was small- could be a problem, could be perfectly fine, they just don't know. I really did not want to be induced because I wanted a natural delivery and knew that would be harder with induction. So we just continued to monitor her. Although she was small, she was growing, and fluid levels were good, cord seemed good, everything else seemed normal and healthy. I delivered a few days past my due date (went into labor on my own!) and she was 5 lbs. 9 oz. but perfectly healthy! She was my fourth baby and all of my others had been at least 7 lbs. All that to say, don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions but always trust his judgement. Sometimes there are other options rather than just inducing and delivering early. 
  • Options
    bumpybump said:
    @DeansGirl14 yes, 7 lbs is fine. As I said, from week 38 on she really gained in size (why they stopped ultrasounds). I also said she has been petite ever since birth (% and scale wise). 
    OH ok. Reading comprehension fail :) 

BabyFruit Ticker