December 2017 Moms

Any tips for feeling baby's movements

I can't tell if the small bubbles in my lower abdomen are gas or movements. How do you tell the difference? At nighttime I lay on my back and gently press on my stomach with my hand and can feel something, feels like an eraser on my stomach. Any tips for feeling baby?

Re: Any tips for feeling baby's movements

• I just take some time to lay down with peace and quiet and try to talk to the baby/feel the baby move.  sometimes DH will put his hand there on my bump and we will feel a kick.  Usually if he talks on my belly to the baby we feel some kind of movement.  <3  I don't really have any suggestions but that's what we do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Together since May 19, 2001

Baby #1 was born in May 2013.

Baby #2 was born in December 2017.

• Try putting an ice pack on your belly. Mine both kick at anything cold!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you know yet where the placenta attached? Mine is anterior & it makes feeling the baby more of a muffled rolling. I seem to get the most significant sensation when I lay on my side and the baby moves in a way that I feel it on either side of my uterus. I hope that makes sense.
  • I have a posterior placenta. I am 17 weeks 4 days. Maybe it's too early. This is my first 
  • whiskawhiska member
    It sounds like what you're feeling - little gas-like bubbles or taps or swishes - are baby but it's too early to be very strong or consistent.  So don't blame yourself for being unsure!

Also a FTM (but I have an anterior placenta) and they've only gotten very strong and definite for me in the last week - I'm 20+5 today. And still 25% of the time I'm not totally sure because our intestines have been pushed around and that makes gas feel different. As far as consistency, baby gets active around 9pm, or right after I have something sweet. 
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• I agree with @whiska to have something sweet, then lie down on the couch and wait! My little one is especially moved by dried apricots. I'm feeling a lot now, but I'm 20w1d and a STM.

With DD1 I would have a half cup of orange juice to get her kicking!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So far I've gotten kicks after sitting down after eating a grilled cheese, cotton candy, and after taking dance class. Not sure that's helpful.... but food and excercise seem to do it for me!
  • I usually feel him kick mostly in bed after some kind of sweets. My brother also told me the remote control trick. Place a remote control on your belly and if he's kicking you'll see the remote move. I tried it last night and it worked. I guess its no so much a trick but just kind of cool to see. 
    Me: 37, Hubs: 41, Furbaby: Gizmo
    11/2011: dx with Stage 1 Thyroid Cancer 03/2012: dx with Endometriosis

March 2017 IVF - Lil Jedi due 12/06/2017