Toddlers: 24 Months+

Thoughts on phasing out naps

i have a 2 1/2 yr old who is fighting naps. DH and I have been disagreeing on phasing out the nap. DH believes DS is done with napping and I say he still needs them. What are your thoughts on phasing them out at 2 1/2?

Re: Thoughts on phasing out naps

• I personally think he's too young to stop napping. My daughter stopped about a month before she turned 3 and some days she is a mess by bedtime. We tried to get her to nap, but she wasn't having it. We still do a quiet time every afternoon while my son is sleeping. I would just say be consistent with trying to get him to nap. But if every day for a month is a struggle, maybe he just is stopping them earlier. 
  • How much does he sleep at night? Toddlers need up to 14 hours a day so if he is getting close to that at night then perhaps it can be phased out. And how long has he been fighting a nap?
  • Loading the player...
  • He goes to bed around 7:30 but isn't asleep until 8:30/8:45 most nights and sleeps until about 6:30/7. He's been fighting naps for about 3 months now. Sometimes he goes down great and other times it's battle. When he does sleep, his naps are usually about 2 hours.  But if he sleeps past 3, he really won't go to sleep at night.