November 2017 Moms

24 week check-up

Today was my 24 week check up appt. I gained 7 lbs in a month has anyone else had a big spike in weight like this? I'm all baby it's all belly but still asked if that was of concern she just said she would keep an eye out on my weight. Also are any of you second time moms feeling any Braxton Hicks? I've been having some here and there and babygirl has been bearing down alot putting lots of pressure on like my uterus, she said that's normal to feel more of that in your second pregnancy she said just to make sure the Braxton Hicks don't become time able or else call. My first daughter came 6 hrs before her actual due date so makes me a litte concerned this one might try coming early.

Re: 24 week check-up

• ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited July 2017
    I haven't gained 7 lbs in a month but have exp a lot of BHs. With my first I had none but feel more crampy with this one. The BHs are there everyday but not regular and my OB said the same thing, if I feel them at regular intervals I should call asap. Because of these he will also be checking my cervix regularly. 
  • Abby7Abby7 member
    At one point with DD around the beginning of the third tri I gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks. Turned out I started retaining a ton of water because soon after that my ankles and feet started swelling. It's unlikely you can gain that much fat in that short of a time so I would guess you might be starting to hang onto water.

I have started feeling a little crampy, including in my lower back in the exact place I had it during labor, which I also did not have with DD, so maybe it is a second time thing?
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my appt yesterday and gained 10 pounds since my appt 4 weeks ago. My doctor doesn't seem concerned but it does concern me. It's the first time I've seen this doctor and I'm not too fond of him. But I'm making sure to drink a ton of fluids now. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I weighed myself today, gained 13 pounds. I don't eat cravings and I probably don't even eat as much as I should. I'm going to say it's boob and belly because my clothes/pants still fit the same size. 
  • My nurse didn't seem concerned at all she said it's normal to see a spike in weight at this point. I also just started gaining weight and I never really stress over weight in pregnancy because I know regardless I'm going to gain some and I'm always all belly anyhow. My doctor didn't seem to concerned just said we will keep an eye on it I just put myself into a concerned state I don't want any problems arising because to much weight gain to fast or something. Thank you ladies glad for the input back.
  • That has happened to me with both pregnancies. My eating didn't change but I think baby just went through a growth spurt. It's ok! Just keep eating when you're hungry!
  • I didn't gain anything the first half of the pregnancy (docs were happy since I'm already plus sized), but the weight has been coming on faster than I would like this month.  Part is that my appetite has kicked in, but I'm trying to not go crazy (some days are better than others).  I have an MFM apt this afternoon, and I'm not looking forward to getting on that scale...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had my 24 week appointment this week and I gained 14lbs since my appointment five weeks before. I knew I had gained a decent amount because my bump "popped" the week before but I was still surprised how much I had gained! The doctor just said to keep an eye on my sugar but didn't seem concerned. Before that appointment I had only gained about seven pounds total so hopefully my body is just playing catch up or something! A couple of my friends said this happened to them around this time too.
  • I've gained a total of 25lbs since getting pregnant. My dr hasn't said anything about my weight though. I keep trying not to focus on it. Last year I lost that much weight. I don't want to unhealthily  focus on weight gain. Some days I don't even feel like eating, which concerns me more. 
  • To date I'm up 13kg 
  • I had a big spike in weight the last couple of weeks too. My doc said she was going to make me keep a food diary if I gained a bunch again. I honestly don't think I have eaten much differently and this happened with my last pregnancy where I gained 10 in 4 weeks and nothing the next. If you've been doing everything the same, it could all just even out. 
    I am also experiencing BH too. I don't remember feeling them this early on with my last two pregnancies but I guess it's kind of comforting knowing others are experiencing it too. 
  • I gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks between my 12 and 16 week appointments. My doc said some people just gain in spurts like that and for others it's more gradual. She said it's more important to look at if the overall weight gain is on track instead of worrying about one spike. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a very quick weight gain in 2 weeks I've gained 10 lbs. 
  • I also gained about 9 lbs in a 3 week period right after I started eating again. Then another 3lbs in the following 3-4 weeks. I'm a little nervous because I gained almost 70 lbs with my first and that was after losing 15 in 1st tri and going 3 weeks early. A lot of weight gain in a short amount of time. My doc went easy on me and told me her biggest concern was my ability to lose the weight after. Turns out a lot of it was water and after several uncomfortable nights of sweating, a lot did go away quickly. 

I just think everyone gains differently and as others have said for some it goes in spurts. 
  • Every gains differently. My 1st pregnancy I gained nothing until the 20 week appointment and with this one I am gaining about a lbs a week. This pregnancy seems to be more of a slow gain, vs last time I was putting on like 7-8 lbs a visit post 20 weeks.