February 2018 Moms
Options

Teachers!!

When do you go back? Students?

Any new duties this year that you are questioning with pregnancy?

Any questions for STM+ teachers? Or just questions/concerns in general?

How many weeks do you plan to take off when baby arrives?

Re: Teachers!!

• Options

-First Teacher day is August 1, with Open House that night. First student day is August 2nd. 

- No. Towards the end of pregnancy I will sit down more but that'll be towards the middle/3rd quarter so the kids will know my expectations etc. 

- Just the concern of early labor. I went on strict bedrest (only up to use the restroom) at 30 weeks and 32 weeks with my other two. I REALLY want to avoid that if possible. So I'll take it easy and do all I can to avoid it. 

- 12 weeks if I don't go on bedrest, if I have to go on bedrest 6-8 because I don't have short term disability this time, so I will only be paid for 52 days off work whether that is bed rest or when the baby arrives. This was an unexpected pregnancy, so we don't have anything saved for me to be off work for 3 months. Will see though. Tightened our budget already and stashing money into an account just in case. 
  • Options
    @neener*neener* you only get one day before students arrive!?!  Also, my second was born at 36 weeks so I'm so afraid of going early or my water breaking in the middle of discussing how to solve systems of linear equations forever scarring my students...as if systems weren't going to be scarring enough. 

Teachers return August 29th and Students return Sept 5th. 

New Duties -- Apprently I am the new teacher mentor. News to me. I have meetings to go to in early August that I just found out about. And not new but I'm the ambassador for SLOs as well which will be complicated since the final product for teacher submission is due in March. And because that isn't enough they gave me all 7/8 math instead of just 8 bc the 7th grade math teacher sucks...so that should be fun. 

Questions/Concerns -- Just concerned about the day to day. I teach in a pretty tough area and am used to jumping in when poop hits the fan in other areas of 7/8 so stepping back will be hard. I'm not concerned about my space bc they know better but everywhere else...not so much. 

Time off -- I'm planning 12 in my head. But. I love those kids and I wouldn't be surprised if I decide to go back at 8-10 instead. I suck at the whole stay at home mom thing. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @smorzandoj We have access to our classrooms year round 24/7. So I will go in all next week to set up my room etc. We just have our mandatory teacher day on Aug 1 where we have meetings etc. 

That sounds like a LOT of new duties!!! heavens! Good luck!

I went into labor at 32 weeks with my first during school. I didn't know it at the time, thought my back was just hurting and I had a LOT of pressure... went to the doctor after school that day and I was dilated to 4cm!  :# Mandatory bed rest and meds for the next 4 weeks. Both of my boys were born at 38 weeks. 
  • Options
    babybro218babybro218 member
    edited July 2017
    Teachers go back the last Monday in August, and students come back that Wednesday. 

Last year I took on the task of starting thr school-wide character ed/anti-bullying initiative in our school. I'm worried about it not being maintained after I leave. I'm also worried about not having the energy for the extra responsibilities now.

I am due mid-February and I plan to take off for the rest of the year.

When is everyone planning on telling their administration?? 

• Options
    @babybro218 I already told my principal...weeks ago. We have staffing issues amount just issues in general related to urban schools so I wanted her to prepare the best possible for my absence and duties assigned. That being said she sure as hell isnt ligthening my load. 
  • Options
    We have a superintendent's conference day on Tuesday, September 5th and start back with kids on Wednesday, the 6th.

I usually direct the 6th grade musical but with maternity leave, I'll be out for most of the rehearsal time, so I have to step back this year and give the reins to the other Elementary music teacher.

None at the moment

Not sure yet. Probably 8-10 which will be closer to 10-12 thanks to February break and spring break! I would ideally like to take 12 but that would have me coming back the day of my concerts with no rehearsal time beforehand.
  • Options
    I am a principal but I'm going to play too!
    I returned Monday from three weeks off and my teachers return August 3, school starts August 10. 

I opened this this school two years ago (when I was pregnant with my DD- had her in April, school opened in August, hired an entire school between May 1-Aug 1) and am slated to open a new school in 2018-2019. So I'll be out from February on but mostly working from home to get the new school opened. This will be a good trial for my AP who will take over this school for me but...I'm tired just thinking about it. 

My my concerns are only not being able to help when a kiddo goes off or is losing it, but I guess that's why we have CPI teams...

Taking off from Feb. 14 on- my BP shot up at the end of my pregnancy last time and I had to go light duty. Trying to keep it calm so that doesn't happen this time!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DH: 32
    Me: 31
    Baby #1: BFP 1/30/14, EDD 9/28/14, natural MC @ 6 weeks
    Baby #2: BFP 8/1/2014, EDD 4/9/2015, It's a GIRL: Addison Elizabeth!

• Options

Teachers head back on August 28th and students are back on September 5th

No new duties luckily. We are down a half Teacher and a half EA so we will have more students and lots of classes but at least I have a job! 

No questions here 

I have a year of paid leave. The government pays 55% of our salary for 52 weeks and our school
    division tops up our salary to 95% for 17 weeks! 
  • Options
    @kbrinks2 WOW! A year paid leave?! Where do you teach??
  • Options
    @babybro218 it's Canada. The government pays everyone 55%of thier earnings for a year for maternity. (Actually you have the option to do spread that payout out to a smaller percentage and take 18 months off now)

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
     last week of august for me, students 9/5
    this time I'm teaching a k-1 combination classroom so I'm nervous about finding a long term sub certified and experienced in that role!

no, this is my second baby and similar time period for birth (last one was end of January)

hoping for the rest of the year if I can swing it!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 10/5/13 MMC 11/13/13 D&C 11/15/13
    BFP #2 5/14/14 EDD 1/19/15 Beta 1: 728 Beta 2: 1858 We have a heartbeat! 166 @ 7w3d  Please be our RAINBOW!
    Baby G is a BOY!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @babybro218, @sabriel1 is right! I teach in Canada and I couldn't imagine not having a year off since I had it with my DS. I know I would make due with whatever time I had off but the more I can get off the better for all of us! At least being teachers you will only be back for a few weeks and then you will have summer to snuggle your little ones again!
  • Options
    I will start back working in my classroom August 1. I have a training August 2,but things really kick off August 8. We have parent back-to-school night on August 8 and then two full work days August 9 and 10....so basically August 1. HAHA

Kids start August 16. Too soon!

No new duties this year.

I'm wondering when I should start wearing my maternity clothes. Second time mom too, but when we start back 2nd trimester will just be starting. I'm already feeling uncomfortable and bloated. I bought a bunch of leggings and a pair of maternity jeans to wear around the house.

I'm also debating on when to tell my students. What are you all doing? 

I have a planned c-section so I'll have to take the full 8 weeks off. I have enough leave saved up for 7 weeks off so I'll probably have to do 1 week unpaid, but my disability pay should help offset that cost.

• Options

Teachers go back 8/21, although I have some PD at the beginning of August. First day for students is 8/28.

I am going to be our team lead this year. I'm not too worried though, as I had that role at my previous school. The school I'm at now is much smaller, and I have a good idea of what my responsibilities will be. 

No questions yet!

We get 12 weeks (unpaid BOO). Although I can take up to two years (with no benefits) and still have a contract with the county. However, we plan to move sometime in the months after the baby is born to be closer to our families so I'll take off through the rest of the year and submit my resignation when the time is appropriate.  I'm a FTM so I don't know how I'm going to feel, but I suspect I will be a SAHM for a few years. 
  • Options
    When do you go back? Students? We go back on the last Monday of August, and the students start later that week. 

I am mentoring another teacher who is leaving a classroom position to go into a special education case management position.  I am a half-time case manager, so I'll be showing her the ropes of paperwork, parent meetings, IEPs, etc.  She is a veteran teacher, so I am hoping that she'll be just fine when I go on leave.  Thankfully, there are others in the building who can help, too. 

Personally, I need to figure out how maternity leave will work- can I take off until the end of the year?  Others have done it (as in, the school board approved it), but I'm sure that accounts for several weeks unpaid.  So, I guess I just need to determine what I can get paid, and then how much unpaid time we're talking about. 

I'll take off at least several weeks, since I have a ton of sick days banked.  What I don't know is, if I'll return to school or not this year.  
  • Options
    When do you go back? Students? Teachers report September 5th and students September 7th. 

No new duties, but I'm switching grades. I wish my first year in my new grade would be a full year. 

Nope! 

With DD I took 12 weeks. This time I'd like to take February-May and go back to
    finish up the last few weeks in June.  
  • Options
    I was going to wait as long as possible to tell. A) I didn't feel like dealing with gossip and B) I was afraid of losing my supplemental contract and position as Dept. Chair. After some thought and looking at my contract, I realized that the gossip will be worse if I don't say anything and once I tell them, it will be harder for them (illegal, actually) to take away my supplemental. So, will sched a meeting with my principal and a call to HR next week!
  • Options
    @babybro218 , I just told my principal this week, and have been in touch with HR to discuss options for leave.  I wanted to talk to my admins (I am both a special education teacher and classroom teacher, so the principal and SpEd coordinator) before posting anything 'public'.  I really felt that they should hear it from me, and not second hand (and this was definitely the opinion of other teacher friends I talked to who work in other districts).  I was glad to just tell them, and they both were really great about it.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    @lucylou214 my plan is to talk to admin first for sure! Thanks for the encouraging words!
  • Options
    We went back the 8th, and kids started the 16th. 

I am coaching volleyball and basketball this year. I love coaching, but tryouts have been kicking my butt! We've had two sessions per day, so I've been at school from 6am-6:40pm this week, and will do it one more time Monday. I've been in bed by 8:30 every night. No shame in my game.

I'm an STM! I'm by no means a professional, but please feel free to ask away! 

Husband and I will be discussing this when we get a little closer. Unpaid leave SUCKS! At least 9 weeks, but hopefully 12. My DS was born at the beginning of June, and when I took leave I didn't return until mid September thanks to summer break. At least summer will be right around the corner when we return! 
  • Options
    Half day with kids today and around 10:30, I got crazy low blood sugar feeling (sweaty, shaky, weak, etc...). I got someone to cover my class and found a can of soup in my cabinet left from last year. It was really scary. Anyone have a similar experience before? How do you handle needing a mid-morning snack with the kids? (I teach middle school and we are not allowed to have a snack period...) 
  • Options
    Half day with kids today and around 10:30, I got crazy low blood sugar feeling (sweaty, shaky, weak, etc...). I got someone to cover my class and found a can of soup in my cabinet left from last year. It was really scary. Anyone have a similar experience before? How do you handle needing a mid-morning snack with the kids? (I teach middle school and we are not allowed to have a snack period...) 
    Not a teacher, but thought I'd throw my two cents in.  First of all, extenuating circumstances.  I would think they'd make an exception to allow you to have snacks.  But maybe try those glucose tablets?  They are good for diabetics that get low blood sugar.  They are usually in a little tube at the pharmacy counter.  Or maybe a soda?  I would think you could have a travel cup with soda.  Also, as someone who has occasionally had bought a of low blood sugar, a snack with sugar and protein is usually best.  Peanut butter crackers/cookies or something like that is a good option (barring peanut allergy issues...).
  • Options
    I teach middle school. I eat when the heck I need to eat. The first few times the kids said something and my response has always been that when they are grown and not making a mess everywhere they can eat during class to but until then they can worry about their classwork. Sometimes they ask for some and I tell them I feed myself and my kids not other people's kids. Now. I am a smartass and I am fully aware of that so it might not be your style. I also teach in an urban area if that makes a difference. 
  • Options
    I teach preschool, not middle school, but I have definitely had moments lately (not at work, because we just went back, but in general), where I really needed a snack all of a sudden.  I find things like Larabars (different flavors have more or less protein, so something to consider) or something similar are great because I can keep them in my purse and also in my desk at school.  I also brought a bag of trail mix to school for easy protein and something I can count on myself feeling like eating. Because I eat breakfast so early when I'm working, I definitely need a mid-morning snack to make it until lunch. I'm sure your administration would be understanding if you needed to explain to them. :) 
  • Options
    @babybro218 Oh girl, I have snacks on hand all day everyday. Easy ones like trail mix or popcorn or granola bars, but I have no problem eating at my desk while kids are working on something. I teach middle/high school. I also always have a water bottle or drink on hand for moments I just need something. The kids understand if you're not just stuffing your face and ignoring them, haha, but if they ask I just tell them I need it to maintain my sanity;)
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    We went back 8/24...kids were back yesterday (8/30)

No...pretty comfortable with everything...LOVE my admin (so lucky) and looking forward to this year!

How did you tell your kiddos? I teach middle school...my 8th graders who I have had since 6th grade  called me out today (totally gently and sweet... but ya, it came out! I'm pretty petite and the girls whispered it...at first I lied but then I felt pretty silly by the end of the class so I told them...of course they are thrilled but, with so much time I wasn't ready to tell my newbie 6th graders...)

12 weeks...planning on going back after spring break...I adore my job..i reserve the right to change my mind..but I know I will want to wrap up the year with them (and can't seem to get over the idea of someone else packing up my room hahaha) 
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your advice!  I brought snacks to school and felt MUCH better the last two days (albeit EXHAUSTED after two full days with kids).  After 17 first days of school, I swear it never gets easier...
  • Options
    School starts Monday. We have two vacancies still. And three new teachers that can't start bc they haven't been pepped in or onboarded. I think it gets worse every year and the people at our district office get less and less competent. 
  • Options
    We're a month in and I'm pooped! I kind of gave up today and was a bad teacher because I literally just could not pull it together. So tired and so irritable today, thank goodness it's a long weekend! I have one 7th grade class that is just the most ridiculous roster of alllll the loudest most boisterous most unfocused kids in the grade and I have no good way of seating them strategically so they aren't with someone who makes them crazy, so some days they leave my room and my brain is totally fried for the rest of the day. And I have them in the morning. Ughhhhhhh. They aren't bad kids, just obnoxious as all get out and they all turn their ears off the vast majority of the time. I had zero patience today and had to shut my mouth and just use my eyeballs to communicate my displeasure so I wouldn't say something with major attitude. Let's just say I hate water bottles, paper airplanes, and paper towels today. A lot. Ok rant over. 

@smorzandoj There's a school district in the next township that has so mismanaged its money the last several years that it had to cut all the teacher salaries by 30% this year and basically can't pay anyone else. They lost most of their teachers and had to hire all brand new first years just to be staffed this year and the first week of school they had busses that were so unorganized that the kids got home over two hours late the first day and they had to cancel school for the remainder of the first week to regroup and get their crap together. It was baaaad.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    @winnie1122 That is awful. We did get cut 11% this year but whatever. As for you 7th graders...that's the most evil year of all. Last year I had 7th graders that weren't even my kids tell me to suck their "Swiss rolls" and making sex noises while screaming my name. It was bad. Good luck with them and I wish I had suggestions but some days I don't know what to do either. 
  • Options
    We're a month in and I'm pooped! I kind of gave up today and was a bad teacher because I literally just could not pull it together. So tired and so irritable today, thank goodness it's a long weekend! I have one 7th grade class that is just the most ridiculous roster of alllll the loudest most boisterous most unfocused kids in the grade and I have no good way of seating them strategically so they aren't with someone who makes them crazy, so some days they leave my room and my brain is totally fried for the rest of the day. And I have them in the morning. Ughhhhhhh. They aren't bad kids, just obnoxious as all get out and they all turn their ears off the vast majority of the time. I had zero patience today and had to shut my mouth and just use my eyeballs to communicate my displeasure so I wouldn't say something with major attitude. Let's just say I hate water bottles, paper airplanes, and paper towels today. A lot. Ok rant over. 

@smorzandoj There's a school district in the next township that has so mismanaged its money the last several years that it had to cut all the teacher salaries by 30% this year and basically can't pay anyone else. They lost most of their teachers and had to hire all brand new first years just to be staffed this year and the first week of school they had busses that were so unorganized that the kids got home over two hours late the first day and they had to cancel school for the remainder of the first week to regroup and get their crap together. It was baaaad.
    Are you in Indiana by chance. This happened here as well. 
  • Options
    @neener*neener* Yes! We are not far from them so a couple of their veteran teachers came to our school this year. Sounds like it was a mess.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    @neener*neener* Yes! We are not far from them so a couple of their veteran teachers came to our school this year. Sounds like it was a mess.
    I am not far either. Yes, a big mess. Really a sad situation for the staff and kiddos. In my experience, our state education system/policies are severely lacking. 
  • Options
    I am not far either. Yes, a big mess. Really a sad situation for the staff and kiddos. In my experience, our state education system/policies are severely lacking. 
    Yes indeed. My first two years were in high school special ed and I couldn't believe how hard it was to get the kids what they needed to be successful. Constant battle against ridiculous red tape. So frustrating when you have to tell awesome kids that they failed yet another state test simply because the state test is stupid and doesn't remotely reflect their abilities or strengths. But it will keep them from graduating sooo....
    Public education is hard.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    First day of school over here! I'm at a junior high and we do grade 7 orientation today. They just run through their schedules and we have a BBQ lunch. No complaints!
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    smorzandojsmorzandoj member
    edited September 2017
    I despise this part of my job. 

Edit: apparently I'm incapable of adding pictures. 
  • Options
    @smorzandoj WHAT IS THAT??
  • Options
    These are wanna be bulletin boards. And they line every single freaking hallway in our building. I hated bulletin boards before I came to this horror show and I hate them even more now. 
  • Options
    These are wanna be bulletin boards. And they line every single freaking hallway in our building. I hated bulletin boards before I came to this horror show and I hate them even more now. 
    That is horrific.  I remember when I was in college thinking, "bulletin boards are my favorite. I will always have cute ones".  Now, I dread them and always try to leave them up for as long as possible.  Also, are those hallways concrete? 
  • Options
    That is horrific.  I remember when I was in college thinking, "bulletin boards are my favorite. I will always have cute ones".  Now, I dread them and always try to leave them up for as long as possible.  Also, are those hallways concrete? 
    I never have cute ones. And I refuse to change the paper...it's gonna be yellow and orange all year and only bc that's what I found first. 

Yea...concrete...and the building is so not functional for a K-8 school. We also have half open space classrooms and half traditional with walls and doors. It's a true disaster...but no worries our opporator won a ton of architectural awards and that's all that matters...not our kids.