July 2017 Moms
Options

Big Thread of Feeding Questions

Re: Big Thread of Feeding Questions

• Options

Should my BF baby be on vitamins? We already had our 1 month appt and we still haven't gotten them.
    The only thing should be Vit D drops...as breast milk doesnt give them enough. 
  • Options
    @glitterfish-2 Our pediatrician prescribed some vitamin D drops.  She also said that she never used them with any of her 5 kids. lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Should my BF baby be on vitamins? We already had our 1 month appt and we still haven't gotten them.
    Our pedi said either vit d drops for baby, or a vit d supplement for mom. I'm taking it myself.
  • Options
    BusyZee said:
    How long after staying in the fridge can the milk be frozen..? Is there any timeline to be safe?
    5 days in the fridge  before you need to use it or freeze. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    Our pedi said either vit d drops for baby, or a vit d supplement for mom. I'm taking it myself.
    Same, I'm taking it myself. 
  • Options
    I took 2,000 units of vitamin D while I was pregnant, and now I am supposed to take 10,000. I was low before, so that is probably why I gave to take so much now. Everything that I have read says that either mom or baby should be taking some, so I would definitely ask.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm not good with the vitamin D drops...I was never even told to use them with DD1. I probably do it 50% of the time. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I'm not good with the vitamin D drops...I was never even told to use them with DD1. I probably do it 50% of the time. 
    Same
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It just annoys me that in 2 subsequent pediatrician visits, nothing has been said. At his 6 day check up, that ped said "I will prescribe vitamins next time" and then I forgot about it until now, and haven't seen the same ped again.
    But it sounds like this is something I can just find at the drug store?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    sdang1sdang1 member
    Anybody have bottle recommendations for breastfed babies?? I plan on introducing a bottle when baby is between 4-6weeks and i want to get the best bottles now. I already have some that i got free from boxes/registry bags and what not. I just want to make sure i give the best kind to prevent nipple confusion and so the milk doesn't come out too fast! What worked for you?
  • Options
    @sdang1 We just went through the various freebie/sample bottles until we found one that DS liked. Sounds like you have several options to try too! I'm sure people will have specific recommendations but it often comes down to each baby's preference. 

As to the flow, that depends on the flow of the nipple. Each bottle will be compatible with different flows. We used size 1 to start. 
  • Options
    @glitterfish-2 Yes, they have them at the drug stores.  I used Tri-vi-sol or something like that but they have just vitamin d, too.

@sdang1 We use tommee tippee with no issue.
  • Options
    @sdang1 we used avent with DD1 and once she got her tongue tie revised she refused that kind. We went through every single bottle type and she finally took the lansinoh momma and used that til she was 18 mo. We started DD2 with that and she seems to be fine. The nipple shape and base of the nipple seem to mimic the breast. It might just be trial and error with your LO!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I've tried a few bottles, he hated lifefactory, he's alright with dr browns for now but he's also only using the bottle once a day (while I pump I give the bottle) 
  • Options
    @sdang1 my bf babies all took to the medala bottles/nipples but it was all I ever tried. I'm sure it's baby dependent. Not sure one is better/worse when it comes to nipple confusion. My kids also all took to pacifiers right away and never had any issues with breastfeeding.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sdang1sdang1 member
    Thanks everyone! I know i have a variety of brands so we'll see what works best!! He already takes a paci i gave in early with that since he wanted to use me as one lol. Thanks for all the advice! Just wanted to make sure
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited July 2017
    Thankyou everyone for the helpful advice  <3

as far as type of pain @AdaByron it's just my left boob that ends up getting hurt or hurting. Seems like he can't latch on that side properly :/ it's like he is grinding it. I've tried adjusting myself and sometimes the pain gets better but after a few days my left one is basically stripped and sore! 
  • Options
    @BusyZee Try holding him a different way.  I use the football hold when it seems like the latch isn't quite right, and it helps.
  • Options
    @sdang1 I use Born Free glass bottles. My LO really isn't picky at all though. I've been able to use the Born Free, my pump bottles (Spectra) and a sample Avent bottle. She still goes back on the breast no problem. I'm supplementing 2x a day due to supply issues. 

Has anyone else been prescribed domperidone? Did it help? I'm very much looking forward to being able to supply LO with all she needs plus being able to pump and build a stash. 

I don't personally feel guilty. I was so hardcore about BF before LO arrived. We had a 3rd appt and she wasn't gaining so the Dr told me to supplement once or twice a day while waiting for the meds to kick in. It didn't bother me like I thought it would. My main concern is her and getting her what she needs and I'll give her whatever to make sure that happens. That said, I've tried 2 different formulas. She took to one better than the other but she still spits some of it up eventually. Should I switch or is this normal? 

And last but not least, I'm 99.9% positive that Aanya has thrush. We have a Dr's Appt tonight to confirm. But in the meantime my nipples are killing. I know her latch is good... remedies to help me out? I dread feeding her because they hurt so much. 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    @BusyZee Try holding him a different way.  I use the football hold when it seems like the latch isn't quite right, and it helps.
    +1 to this.

Also, since you're pumping, make sure you have the right size pieces. I had to order larger parts and I don't have especially large boobs. Do a google image search to see what a good fit looks like. Then what I would do is give your left boob a rest for a day or so. Just feed baby on the right and pump the left and keep nipple cream on it. Then once it feels better, work oin getting a good latch with baby. If he doesn't latch properly, pop him back off and try again. 
  • Options
    Anyone have recommendations for the best type of breast shell? Breastfeeding is not going well and I think I need some air circulation to help them heal. 
  • Options
    rjoys8 said:
    Anyone have recommendations for the best type of breast shell? Breastfeeding is not going well and I think I need some air circulation to help them heal. 
    A lactation consultant had me keep my nipples moist with earth mama angel baby nipple butter and covered with clean disposable breast pads - she said air circulation would lead to scabbing and would be harder to heal (especially if scabs rip off as baby continues learning how to latch). She was right - my nipples felt better almost immediately and within a day or two stopped hurting. 
  • Options
    rnw2019rnw2019 member
    edited August 2017
    @satsumasandlemons thanks for the tip! That's what I was originally doing and it didn't work for me, unfortunately.  :(
  • Options
    New to this thread, sorry if it's a repeat question but dd2 never seems satisfied with bf. I give each side twice but she's still hungry and I give an ounce or two of pumped bm to get her full. What can I do to help her fill up from nursing alone? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @plumpous: are you nursing her on each side until she comes off? That is one thing I found. I do not stop by son, I just let him continue eating. Sometimes it's 25 minutes per side, but I nurse until he comes off. Good luck!
  • Options
    @Cynth0104 she falls asleep on the breast, I take her off, burp and switch sides. After both sides I change the diaper and feed both sides again. I try to wake her while BFing but at some point it doesn't work. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @plumpous Is she actually still hungry or is she just wanting to comfort nurse?
  • Options
    plumpous said:
    @Cynth0104 she falls asleep on the breast, I take her off, burp and switch sides. After both sides I change the diaper and feed both sides again. I try to wake her while BFing but at some point it doesn't work. 
    So I was going crazy with this situation. Lactation consultant told me I was over producing and over feeding him (almost a lb weight gain in 4-5 days) and in a situation like this resort to the pacifier because engorment really hurts, and sometimes comfort nursing is just very tiring! 
  • Options
    @plumpous is she gaining normally? And having enough wet and dirty diapers? If so, I would probably avoid supplementing with the pumped milk and monitor her diapers. Could you have a LC do a weighted feeding so you could see if she's transferring enough milk from the breast? If she's not efficient at nursing it may be why she is still hungry or acting hungry. This could affect your supply so I would definitely troubleshoot with a LC sooner rather than later. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    My milk production in pumping is increasing slowly even though I pump only once a day so dd2 must be doing something right... Lots of dirty and wet diapers. I don't know what is really going on. Maybe each time it's a different issue. Honestly it's so hard to tell sometimes. Because she can eat a lot and I would give her a bottle and she'll devour it. Sometimes it does end up being gas or comfort. So confused.... 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm glad you got a LC to take a look @cait32. DD2 had a lip and tongue tie that we had taken care of but she still couldn't figure out how to nurse (but she was basically transferring nothing from the breast so I've been EP). Not discovered, they can really destroy your nursing relationship. 

With DD1, she could never nurse without a nipple shield and I had chronic low supply despite my best efforts. We recently (at almost two years old!) noticed a lip tie. Where there is a lip tie, there is also usually a tongue tie. I wish we had discovered it when she was an infant and maybe things could have gone differently. 

I'm homozygous for MTHFR c677T and I wish someone would have given me a heads up that my kiddos had a higher risk of midline defects. I only recently found this out. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    The same thing happened to me, @cait32, although mine was 2 hospital LCs and one pediatrician. We are 2 weeks post revision now - my supply seems to have sonce the revision even though he still has a very poor latch due to other issues.  
    I'm told they often need to go to a chiro to help fix their latch post revision, so keep that in mind!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    Also, the stretching exercises are a bitch and I had to follow them with bottles.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Oh geez @glitterfish-2 and @cait32! I'm so sorry you guys are going through/went through that. Feeding issues are the most stressful thing... especially in these early days. I'm glad you both finally found someone to help you figure out what is going on!
  • Options
    My daughter is a MAJOR spitter-upper. The pediatrician isn't concerned since she's gaining weight and baby doesn't seem to be bothered by it. But it really is a nuisance for me and has gotten worse lately. She spits up during her mid and post-meal burpings, but that's not the issue. 

What bothers me is that she continues to spit up for a couple hours after the feeding. We've tried making sure she sits up for 45 min after eating but that hasn't helped at all. It's even worse when she gets the hiccups. Does anyone have a similar problem? Is there anything we can do or am I destined to have to keep changing her (and sometimes my own) clothes 3-4 times a day? 
  • Options
    lanie1000 said:
    My daughter is a MAJOR spitter-upper. The pediatrician isn't concerned since she's gaining weight and baby doesn't seem to be bothered by it. But it really is a nuisance for me and has gotten worse lately. She spits up during her mid and post-meal burpings, but that's not the issue. 

What bothers me is that she continues to spit up for a couple hours after the feeding. We've tried making sure she sits up for 45 min after eating but that hasn't helped at all. It's even worse when she gets the hiccups. Does anyone have a similar problem? Is there anything we can do or am I destined to have to keep changing her (and sometimes my own) clothes 3-4 times a day? 
    We had this issue with dd. I never did find a solution. Are you formula or bf? If bf it could be something you're consuming that doesn't agree with her (dairy is common). If you're formula feeding try another brand. I formula fed after 10 weeks with dd and she would spit up after every feeding, sometimes up to an hour later. It was awful. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited August 2017
    My baby has been latching on fine just one side is harder to feed from the the other because I've gotten really sore a few times but and I've found some angles that don't hurt thanks to the LC! 

My baby has a tongue and lip tie but the doctor said she wants me to take him to someone else first because his palate is too high, for exercises to flatten the palate out otherwise it will be harder for him to adjust to feeding ... I have my doubts about this and would love to know if anyone else has gone through this? Is it really necessary to flatten out the palate? Wouldn't releasing the tongue and upper lip give him freedom to do whatever with his mouth anyway?

Keeping in mind he's gaining well and feeding well too, I'm worried I might ruin things more rather than fixing them!
  • Options
    lanie1000 said:

DS was "a happy spitter" as the pediatrician called it because he wasn't uncomfortable while spitting up. He would often projectile spit up so I would cover myself with a full sized towel when burping him. The only thing I noticed is he'd spit up more when I had coffee and I'd burp him right after my let down because it was so strong he'd gulp, often choking, and that helped a lot. And always a pacifier after feeding. Check her latch too, if she's getting air it'll cause more spit up and over eating will cause spitting up so don't let her just nurse for too long.  
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 @alcrimmins I wonder if it is something I'm eating. I've been relying on coffee with cream so I guess it could be coffee or dairy as you guys suggested. I guess I'll try to go without to see if that calms the problem down. 

Unfortunately she won't take the pacifier after eating. I think she gets mad that no milk comes from it so she spits it out after a couple sucks and refuses it afterwards. I'll keep trying though. Thanks, ladies!