Baby Names

Settling on a name

Have you ever had to compromise on the name you LOVED for a name your SO loved. 
any name I can see me using he always says NOPE, HATE IT! any of the names he has picked are not terrible but I don't love them, Should I compromise and go with a name he likes or be persistent with names that I like.

Re: Settling on a name

• I would suggest going through a name book and highlighting names with dif colored highlighters that you both love or can live with. Or you each come up with a list of your top 10-20 names and see if there are any you can compromise on that you both might not love but you do like. Or if you compromise on first name you should be able to choose the middle.
  • With the exception of my first child's first name, none of my children have names that I would have thought I'd end up using. But they were names that we ended up coming to together. Lots of compromise on both sides.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't love DS's name, but it was important and meaningful to DH to use it and I liked it well enough to live with. Similarly, DH didn't love DD's name, but he still was okay with it. I think it would be worth it to compromise so that one of you doesn't feel like you absolutely hate the name. I don't think it's necessary for both parents to LOVE the name, but you should both like it, if you know what I mean.

I think the highlighting of the names lists is really helpful. DH and I started with the top 1,000 and highlighted ones we liked, then compared and crossed off anything that we didn't both have highlighted and went from there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    I couldn't settle unless I believed I had considered every name and was unable to find one I loved.
  • I ended up compromising and regret it, no advice, but will approach naming any other future child a little different than the first time around. In the end I love my DS so I in turn love his name, but I wish I would have been more persistent with my opinions and thoughts. Good luck!
  • atackatack member
    I did with DS.  He was adamant and not budging.  I picked the middle name.  I must say I love it now and can't think of any other Name for him.  I also can't even come up with a boy name right now if we have a boy- team green.   
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Neither of you should be persistent. You should both be open to each other's options and be willing to compromise. I know I will not get to use a few names that I absolutely love, but neither will my SO. We may come to a name we both didn't expect beforehand.

I like pps suggestion of both going through the top 1000. There's also an app you could both install, that registers your matches. It's called BabyName and the symbol is a yellow tile with an egg (it's a free app. I haven't used it myself yet). 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers