October 2017 Moms
Options

workout check in 7-17

1. how was last week?  plans for this week?

2. questions?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: workout check in 7-17

• Options
    1. Last week was pretty good. I'll be traveling to Greensboro for the week (and spending the weekend in Asheville) and have found some local gyms to drop in. This morning the metcon was 1 mile run and 40 pull ups so I slept in :) 

2. Is anyone else worrying about diastasis recti? I go between not too worried (b/c I've cut the ab exercises they suggest) and panicking about what I don't know and if I am doing damage. A couple PT places by me do pre and post partum PT so I've asked them to look into what insurance will cover. 
  • Options
    abaumeabaume member
    1) Hi ladies!!!! Last we was pretty normal. I have been getting in 2-3 elliptical workouts for cardio and then weights of course. Upper body wise my strength is close to normal but I am struggling with legs. I have been focusing on doing lighter weights and higher reps for legs. Also, working on a lot of single leg work.

2) My abs have definitely stopped working as well. Lol, but that is bound to happen.
    @cram314 I was really worried about this the first time around. My advice would be to not push it when it comes to abs after delivery. Take the recommended time off and let yourself heal. Mine went back to normal but it took probably three months before I could do all ab exercise. You honestly should be able to feel it if you are pulling in that area too much. PT should be able to guide you. You will still be able to do most stuff just work around your "injuries". 
    My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for relieving back tightness, knots, etc?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cram314 - I'm worried about diastasis recti!!  I noticed my and starting to separate a few weeks ago. I tried get DH to press into the the squishy spot between my abs to be sure, but he wouldn't do it.  Haha!!  I don't know when it's an official diagnosis though.  
    What exercises have you been told do / avoid? 
    I got conflicting info from Google. Obviously. 
  • Options
    @abaume - For lower back soreness, I do the cat/cow yoga pose/stretch.  I've also gotten out the foam roller a couple times and laid with my back on it and rolled small sections at a time.  It actually felt better afterwards!
  • Options
    Last week was good, I think!  Got in a little bit of weight work at the gym, some short yoga segments, and a few runs.
    Hoping for more of the same this week, although I may not be able to get to the gym.

2. questions?  None at the moment.
  • Options
    @WRWrunnergirl
    I've cut what this article recommends because it seems to feel right for me. 
    https://beyondfitmom.com/diastasis-recti-pregnancy/

Also, trying to focus on breathing and not hold my breath during an exercise. 

Thanks @abaume!
  • Options
    last week was great! i lifted/HIIT for four days and swam laps for one.  have you all swam yet?  i thought the belly would be a flotation device but it acted as major  drag in the water.  it was the hardest workout yet!  felt so good to swim though i highly recommend it.  This week i can only work out three days because i am headed on vacation tonight through next week.  i hope to workout on vacay but i am not sure i can...fingers crossed!
    2. questions?
    i try not to worry about diastasis recti too much. i am just modifying all ab exercises and if i feel any excess stretching or pulling i stop immediately.  i didn't have it the first time so hopefully i can avoid it this time too. 

regarding back soreness and tightness, i love cat/cow and foam rolling.  i also find that when i stretch my hips and IT band it alleviates back soreness.  i like to get into pigeon pose for that one.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lola4411 have a great vacation! I wish I had a pool to get into - maybe not to swim but to cool off/float! 
  • Options
    abaumeabaume member
    Thanks for the soreness/tightness advice ladies. I do the foam rolling, biofreeze, and heating pad thing on my shoulders. Haven't tried to yoga moves yet though, hopefully it helps!
  • Options
    cram314 said:
    @lola4411 have a great vacation! I wish I had a pool to get into - maybe not to swim but to cool off/float! 
    Thanks!! Swimming was so tough but totally worth it! Cooling off and getting a workout 

BabyFruit Ticker