November 2017 Moms
Options

Thanksgiving prep anyone?

First time poster, long time reader.
I'm due in the beginning of November and was wondering if any of you have hashed out your plans for Thanksgiving with new baby yet. This is our first child, and first grandchild in ten years, so the excitement level is high among family. We also just moved into our new home, and with all the baby hype and holidays, we thought it would be easier to invite everyone up to visit us for Thanksgiving instead of traveling to Florida to see them with baby in tow (and I'm very uncomfortable with traveling at that early age). It's turned into a regular National Lampoon's movie already, because we now have upwards of thirteen coming to stay with their four dogs.
To mediate all this chaos, I've started planning ahead.
1) We're super lucky to have two AirBnB rentals on the block next to us, and hopefully the neighboorhood association will not have won the battle to kick them out by Nov. And double bonus, they are dog friendly.
2) Since nursery prep is pretty complete, I'm rechanneling energy towards prepping and freezing not only dinners for DH and I post-partum, but for the Thanksgiving dinner as well. I think I'll start freezing dishes around the end of Sept.
3) Having all the family together will also keep them occupied. I'm hoping they will spend time visiting with each other as much as visiting with baby, and that might buy me a little more alone time with baby than if it was just my mother and I alone. Must be sure to have the old family photo albums available as talking points.
4) My mother will also be busy with holiday prep, again buying me baby/mommy time.
5) Having family in town might act as a buffer from other people stopping by. My husband is a minister in a very active religious community, and I'm not sure how I will feel about church visitors that early on. This might buy us an extra week of privacy. 

I'm actually glad to have another non-baby project like this to be working on. And in all honesty, I live for this stuff. Big, giant family stuff is the best, and we just don't get to do this kind of thing very often.
Anyone out there who runs their big family Thanksgiving have any tips for a rookie? Recipes that freeze well? Overnight guest hacks?
Thanks a million!
April

Re: Thanksgiving prep anyone?

• Options
    We always go to DH's parents' about 20 min. away on that day and then I host my side of the family in our tiny house that weekend. However, I'm due about a week before Thanksgiving and could very well be in the hospital then. One of my sisters bought a house about 30 min. away and we may see them on Thanksgiving weekend if the baby has arrived or we might just have them
    stop by and not celebrate with them. It's my favorite holiday and I really hope our son is here so I can eat with family and have everyone meet him before Christmas. Otherwise, I'll gobble till I wobble and I may have a December 1 baby if I'm at 42 weeks. 

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately! We usually go to family for the holidays, but I'm not sure what to do. Baby will be around 2 weeks old for Thanksgiving, and I'm not sure if I want to expose to so many people that early. I've never had a winter baby, so the germ thing really worries me.  We may do our own thing this year. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm due the week of Thanksgiving and since my sister is in VA and we are in OH...we will be doing nothing for the holiday. I don't mind. I prefer not to have the stress of two major holidays so close together. 
  • Options
    I'm due the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We usually drive 6 hours to see DHs family and it's my favorite. If baby boy comes earlier, we may still make the trip but if he's on time or late, it likely won't be possible. He'll be too new and I'm sure I'll be too uncomfortable to want to go. 

• Options
    After too much drama last year, we had already told our families we would be staying home for the holidays this year.  We're not traveling. My mother and sisters are planning to spend Thanksgiving with us here.  No clue what my in-laws have decided. I will be cooking, though, as I have food allergies both sides of our families resolutely refuse to accommodate.  My one rule- my house, my food. If it is served for a family me in my home, I have to be able to eat all of it. 
  • Options
    I am due exactly 1 week after thanksgiving but there's a good chance this baby comes early like my 1st (3 1/2 weeks early) or they schedule a repeat c-section for a week early which would be thanksgiving so maybe Black Friday? Not sure how they will handle that. We go to my IL's which is about a half hour away. Unless I'm in the hospital, we will plan to be there. DH has a small family so it's pretty low key anyways.
  • Options
    I'm due the first week of November as well.  We normally host Thanksgiving so I figure not much will change.  SO's family might come down, but we can figure that out if it happens.  It's just one day.  I'm more worried about how I'm going to go Black Friday shopping with a newborn.  Hahaha.  Just kidding.  Kind of...I don't go super early, so the crazies are gone by the time I get out and about.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm due the 27th but will be induced by the 20th if I don't have him before than. I'm hoping my mom will still be here for Thanksgiving so she can cook and I can relax. And hopefully baby & I will both be home from the hospital. 
  • Options
    AsivecAsivec member
    My local grocery store does thanksgiving dinner "to go". I haven't used the service, but if my in-laws weren't insistent on making the turkey every year I would go this route. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm due on Thanksgiving so I think we are going to just be winging it this year. My daughter was 2.5 weeks early so I have no idea what will happen this time around. Both families will just have to accommodate because there's no way I will be able to make it to both families places like usual. If I am still feeling awful I might ask my mom to make me up a plate :-P
  • Options
    Abby7Abby7 member
    I'm using the baby being due in November (12th) as an excuse to not host any holidays this year. I'll probably make a pie or two and a side dish for my mom's, and that's it. Hosting with a 2-3-week-old baby sounds diabolical, honestly. Maybe have the actual dinner at one of the AirBnBs? That would help you out a lot. You are going to be so tied down to nursing, pumping, and/or bottle feeding as well as managing erratic sleep and a randomly crying baby that you will be out of the picture that weekend more than you realize.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    I'm due the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so I have no idea what we are going to do. Fortunately, both sets of parents live in the same town, which is about an hour away from us. Normally, we end up having a big meal with both families on different days. This year, I think we will wing it, depending on when LO makes her debut!
  • Options
    Abby7Abby7 member
    Just want to add - my due date for DD was 3 weeks before Easter, and I had my parents visiting from out of town. Even though we planned a low key day with just church and a restaurant dinner with them and my in-laws, I wound up in bed with 104 temperature and mastitis, and the whole holiday was cancelled since DH had stay home too to take care of me and the baby. So stay super flexible and don't commit to too much.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    We usually drive about 2 hours to my mom's, then swing by DH's cousin for pie in the evening. I'm due the Saturday before but am going to mentally prepare to still be pregnant and go about business as usual. My labors are long (18-24+ with the two that I wasn't induced for) so I'll bring my bag along and if I go into labor, we'll head home early. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kalenpkalenp member
    I have made no thanksgiving plans yet... I figure we will have to talk about it after baby arrives! LOL. we'll celebrate at sometime with both sides- likely on different days. I'm due early Nov but expect to deliver late again and I know I will not want to be driving all over to both families with a 2-3 week old. 
    DS#1 3/13
    DS#2 3/15
    Baby #3~ 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My mom mentioned coming down and cooking for us but no matter what I am not going anywhere. We typically have to drive hours to get to a close relative's house and I am making plans to STAY HOME for all of the holidays and we'll play it by ear. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    cwalker042cwalker042 member
    edited July 2017
    Normally (when I lived back in my home state) we'd all get together at my aunts house for Thanksgiving. The past 2 years we've been going out to Las Vegas to spend it with my husband's Father who lives there. My husband's mom, sister and brother would be there too. This year I am due 2 days after Thanksgiving so there will be no traveling. I'm inviting my husband's family down for Thanksgiving. I'll either already have the baby or go into labor while they are down here. Either way, it'll be nice to have them around with the new baby here. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm due on Thanksgiving but I know it probably won't happen on that day.  But I'm not making plans as I usually go back to Iowa to be with my family.   We will probably just do something low key here although really hoping for some good Thanksgiving food because I love it and the last couple of years I have missed out on it due to things coming up.  
  • Options
    I'm due 2 days before and my brothers birthday is on thanksgiving. Both families are in the same town but 2 hours away so if baby's not here yet I really don't want to go that far in case I go into labor, if baby is here Wed like to go home but who knows. And with my luck baby will come ON thanksgiving lol! DH is very annoyed that I may be "ruining" thanksgiving...oh whatever, it takes 2 and I wouldn't say ruining but making it better! I'll just be sad if I can't have thanksgiving dinner idc where it is or who makes it just give me food!
  • Options
    My due date is Thanksgiving day. No idea if she will come early or late, but DH's mom normally cooks for Thanksgiving. We will play it by ear that week whether or not we go over to her place. 
  • Options
    DD was born 12/22 and we came home 12/24. We visited both my parents and my in laws on Christmas where there was a lot of family. I was so stressed because we were still figuring out nursing and I was engorged and hadn't been to see my LC. I was really worried about people touching all over her being in the winter and all of the nieces and nephews being too rough. It turned out fine but it was challenging and stressful for me and each family only lives max of 15 minutes from our home. 

One thing my cousin did that I'm completely stealing this time is you are not allowed to hold the baby if you aren't current on vaccines including whooping cough. I plan on letting everyone know ahead of time so they are well prepared for the no you may not hold him until you have your vaccines. 

That being said I love Thanksgiving and just want to enjoy some turkey covered in homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes smothered in gravy and a huge slice of pumpkin pie. Which by the way no one at my inlaws eats pumpkin pie so I have to make it or buy it each year. Seriously it's Thanksgiving who doesn't have pumpkin pie or at the least sweet potatoe pie. (Cupcakes....I'm not kidding they eat cupcakes.) I love cupcakes but not on Thanksgiving. Sorry, rant over.
  • Options
    I missed Thanksgiving last year because it was my holiday to work, I made pumpkin pies but never got to eat a slice. DH took DD to his parents and forgot to bring me home any of the fixings, he brought home turkey which is only good if you have something to eat it next to. I'm due the 14th but usually go early so maybe an October baby. Either way I plan on only eating all the turn stuff. Idk who will host Thanksgiving this year but it sure as heck won't be us with a new baby. 
  • Options
    Normally I host and cook a bunch of dishes starting a few days before, etc. This year I have a baby due mid november and I won't feel up to cooking a thing! We will figure it iut in November-- depends on a variety of unplanable factors.

• Options
    We have no idea what is going to happen for Thanksgiving! I am due on the 28 but will be scheduled for a c-section anywhere from the 21-28. I guess we will figure it out once they schedule me! 
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the 'rules' are exposing your baby to so many people that early? Like, how early is too early? How many people are too many? My first baby was born in September, so he was old enough by the holidays that I didn't really think about it.
  • Options
    Wow Honestly I did not think of this. I am not due till after thanksgiving. Who knows if my little one is going to be early or not. We usually have  a big family party each year. I go to my aunts house and there is a lot going on but really good fun. I have a big Italian  family holidays are important to us. But if my peanut comes early I know my family would come over to my house cook and clean for me. @goatgettingmarried no I do not but I do not think it is bad unless they have all their shots. I really do not know. I am not trying to plan to far ahead because I will get really bad anxiety. I wish I was as good as planning as you are :) 
  • Options
    @goatgettingmarried That's more an answer that you come up with yourself.  What are your rules for baby? How many people will be there and do you really want to entertain/deal with many people. My last was born early a week or so before thanksgiving, everyone washed their hands, no one is allowed to kiss her on her face or place her hands in their mouth. No one who was sick with a cold or anything else was to hold her. At one point when my niece was tiny our grandma had shingles, there was no way she was coming near my niece.  I also don't typically like children holding babies because they like to put their fingers where they don't belong. 
  • Options
    jka427jka427 member
    I'm due the 14th but they said they will let me go until the Friday after thanksgiving if all is well and he still isn't here. My first came a month early so I have no idea when he will be here haha. I am planning to eat and rest as I know I will not be up to going anywhere or having a bunch of people over whether he is inside, outside, or in process of coming out. My mom lives with us and will cook a small dinner for us and then my MIL is planning to come down to help after Thanksgiving. Both mothers are awesome and my high needs 3yo will be entertained. I 100% would not volunteer to host a big holiday that close to delivery though. Last time we were at the hospital every day for 2 weeks after since my son was in the NICU. You just never know what it will be like after/before/during. 
  • Options
    We live out of  state from all family and my husband will love be working the whole week so we're just eating whatever   Thanksgiving isn't a big deal in our house. I refuse to fly during flu season with a newborn so Christmas will be much of the same. 
  • Options
    My brothers gf asked me this weekend if we were doing thanksgiving here since baby was due....I couldn't help but laugh. I just said idk if I'll be in the hospital or not and to not plan on me. My mom jumped in right away and said they're all close enough (within 2 hours of me) that if need be they'll pack up and meet us at the hospital but that they're gonna do thanksgiving at home without us unless baby is here and we're out of the hospital/willing to go home
  • Options
    I am due the Wednesday after thanksgiving so my parents are planning on coming foenthe holiday and not leaving until after baby. First time grandparents are super excited. My ILs are coming as well but since they are Canadian I don't know if they will just wait until labor. 

My OB told me at my last appt that IVF babies tend to be born early so now we have that ticking time bomb in the mix. 

My plan is let them show up and figure out thanksgiving amongst theirselves 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Options
    I always host Thanksgiving, and this year I am taking the time off to enjoy nesting with the new baby, my toddler and husband. We haven't discussed it with family yet, but I am sure they will be more than understanding. Sometimes, you have to put things aside to enjoy the bigger picture. That's just me though, kudos to you for making the effort. 
    Last year my baby was 6 months, and I made everything fresh or fresh the week of Thanksgiving. Him being older was helpful. Shopping, prepping food, cooking and baking were the easiest parts. Somehow when dinner time came around, everyone (my husband's family) had forgotten about me and the baby, and helped themselves. They are not the most aware people, so I tried to not let it get to me. But definitely remembered who came more for the food/taking leftovers versus actually enjoying company and the holiday. Next year the list will be more precise. So, remember that you may want to ask people for help when it comes time to get yourself a plate of food. 

• Options
    We, DH mom, DH sister and her family usually travel to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving to spend it with DH dad, brother and his family who live out there. This year I obviously cannot travel since I'm due the Saturday after Thanksgivng so I think we are having DH's family here for the holiday. DH's sister and family live 4.5 hours away so they will come and stay the whole weekend. MIL also lives 4.5 hours away but she is going to come down the week of Thanksgiving and stay until the baby is born. FIL will do the same. It'll be nice to have family down here since we've moved so far away and have been worried about what we are going to do with DS while we are in the hospital. I'm hoping I can have my Thanksgiving dinner before I have the baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Assuming all goes well with birth, my worst case Thanksgiving scenario is missing dinner and left overs entirely if I have a long labor of a couple of days in the hospital. I'm not seeing that much anymore, thankfully, but *TW* my "natural" miscarriage took four days and I didn't "give birth" until two days after my contractions really ramped up and then really slowed down. */TW*
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    @NYTino24 that's the fear!! Labor right before dinner ready and in the hospital for a few days and completely miss the left overs 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Options
    You can have guests bring leftovers to the hospital, most birthing places have a community kitchen with a microwave and fridge to put patients food in. 
  • Options
    @NYTino24 that's my fear too! I'm due the day after thanksgiving but have had both my other daughters the day before their due date, so if history repeats itself, my water will break Thanksgiving morning and miss everything!