February 2018 Moms
Options

Vanishing Twin?

careyaliscareyalis member
edited July 2017 in February 2018 Moms
I'm Carey and I used to be a bump regular, but this is my first time posting in a while. I have had 3 children- my angel girl who died shortly after birth 5 years ago, a 4 year old boy, and an almost 2 year old girl and this is my 7th total pregnancy (two 5 week miscarriages and a missed miscarriage at 14 weeks in between my son and daughter.)

Anyways, I am 8 weeks exactly. I went to the doctor on Wednesday at 7 weeks 5 days to discover that I was pregnant with twins, but only one was on track. I thought that I had come to terms with the fact that I lost the other twin, but now I am really second guessing it. Has anyone been diagnosed with vanishing twin syndrome to later find a fetus that is developing normally? The sac was much smaller than the healthy twin, but there was a very prominent pole. I know it's a long shot, but has anyone had a similar experience with a happy ending? I have another ultrasound in 3 weeks, but my mind is really wandering at the moment. 

My angel Avery- 2/16/12, My rainbow Blake= 3/4/13, Joyfully awaiting #3 5/11/15

Re: Vanishing Twin?

• Options
    I don't have any positive story to share but I am sorry you are going through this. What did your doctor say? *TW- I know with my chemical pregnancies my drs office really prepared me for bad news. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry you are experiencing this. My sister had a vanishing twin. She delivered my nephew who is fine. The other twin never developed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said that the other twin wasn't viable.  I have like 95% accepted that, but that other 5% can't stop thinking about if he could be wrong. I know it's a huge stretch and I will feel a lot more at peace with the call of it remains the same at my next ultrasound. 

My angel Avery- 2/16/12, My rainbow Blake= 3/4/13, Joyfully awaiting #3 5/11/15
  • Options
    I had a vanishing twin with my first pregnancy. I never saw 2 on an ultrasound. The tech wouldn't show me. I'm guessing it would have been something like yours. I had a follow up ultrasound 2 weeks later and only 1 baby. I know how upset I was after being told it's possibly twins and then only seeing 1. I can't imagine holding an sonogram with 2 and one not making it. I'm so sorry!!
  • Options
    This happened to my sister in law. My now 5 year old niece was a twin. The other twin was lost around 4-5 months during pregnancy and my in law's body absorbed it. Sorry that you had to go through this.  
  • Options
    My second pregnancy had a vanishing twin. It was there around 6 weeks but nothing viable. It was gone next US.  I'm sorry.