September 2017 Moms

PGAL check in 7/13

How far along are you?

What's going on with you baby/pregnancy wise?

What's going on with you in other aspects of your life?

Any Questions? 

GTKY:  What has been your biggest pregnancy craving so far? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: PGAL check in 7/13

• How far along are you? 30w4d

What's going on with you baby/pregnancy wise? Everything's good so far, but ugh, all of these stupid articles keep popping up in my newsfeed about maternal deaths or stillbirth and it's making freak out about everything. I just want it to be September already. 

I've been in hardcore lesson planning mode. They changed our standards this year, so I had to go back and redo everything day by day. So far I've got everything planned put day by day from August through November. I've just got one more unit to plan for first semester and then I'm done for now.

Any Questions? 
    I've been on Lovenox since 4 weeks, and I think at 36 weeks I'm supposed to switch to heparin twice a day. Does anyone know if you're supposed to continue lovenox or heparin for any length of time after the birth? I feel like blood clots are still a risk for a time after birth too, and I was just wondering. I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment, I was just wondering in the mean time. 

Cookies, I've not really wanted them since college, and now I can't get enough of them.
  • How far along are you? 29+6, so 30w tomorrow.

What's going on with you baby/pregnancy wise? I posted this in the glucose challenge / gestational diabetes thread but I did fail the 3-hour test and had to get started with blood sugar monitoring and dietary adjustments today. I'm feeling a bit better about it now that I've met with a nurse who taught me what to do, but it definitely brought back a lot of PGAL feelings. After my two losses, I distinctly remember thinking that maybe my body just couldn't do pregnancy; everything had been going SO well with this little guy, and now I feel like part of me was right and my body CAN'T do it normally. But I am trying to also take the actions I need to protect both of us. The blood draw does not hurt at all but I am struggling to collect the blood on the testing strip. So it will be a learning process.

Little man seems pretty active and my stomach is measuring normally (I've consistently been 1 cm more than the week of pregnancy and my midwife said +/- 2 cm is normal). I lost two pounds this week, prob since I cut back on dessert after failing the 1-hour glucose test. 

The nursery is FINALLY painted (and all the non-baby furniture is out of the house)! I also ordered wall decals that we plan to apply once the paint touch-ups have dried. Next step is procuring baby's furniture.

Not much else - still on summer break, so apart from trying to get together with friends

Any Questions? 

First trimester: lemonade, ramen, and occasionally wontons. Second trimester: watermelon and pineapple. Third trimester: also watermelon; Boom Chick a Pop kettle corn (ate one bite and was hooked). Throughout, I've definitely eaten more cheese than I normally would, on the theory that it has calcium and is good for both me and baby. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @heatherlynn321 Boo for having to re do all your lesson plans... that stinks! 

@divinemsm620 I'm sorry you failed the glucose test... but it's definitely not something you did wrong! 

Ugh... for some reason I can't get it to copy on mobile. 

32 weeks! 

Everything with baby girl is good. My Dr wanted to check my cervix last week after the scare with the contractions, and she said it was closed and thick... so yay for a good cervix, lol. 

I'm just trying to enjoy the last few weeks of summer while also getting the nursery ready and doing beginning of the school year prep. 

Cravings... lemonade and chocolate chip cookies, big soft gooey ones! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• How far along are you? 29w5d

What's going on with you baby/pregnancy wise? Good. Had a good appointment yesterday. 

What's going on with you in other aspects of your life? This week I was on vacation so it was nice I enjoyed being lazy. Not ready to go back on Monday. I will miss the naps. 

Any Questions? 

GTKY:  What has been your biggest pregnancy craving so far? Ice cream, French onion dip with potato chips, spaghetti 

• jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited July 2017
    How far along are you?
    31+5
    What's going on with you baby/pregnancy wise?
    So far so good with the GD. At my MFM scan on Friday the doctor said if he didn't know from our conversation that I had GD, that there's nothing with the baby to show it (he's on track size wise, and there isn't an increase in amniotic fluid). He also said as long as my numbers stay under control (he was very pleased! but also said it gets harder the further along) that there's no reason to induce me early. 

I gave my husband a firm deadline of August 1st to deliver his name list, otherwise we're moving forward with the three names from my list we agree on. BabyQ is July 30th, and then that next weekend we need to move stuff from the second bedroom (storage) into a storage unit so we have room for baby and his stuff. Time is flying.

I got a promotion last month! It amounts to about an extra dollar an hour, and doesn't mean more work (the way my boss promotes is that you make strides towards the work of the next level for a while to show you can, then you get the promotion), since I've honestly been doing the load/work of a Tech 2 since I started. 

We decided to put off house hunting until this winter. I'm sad there's no nesting/nursery set up in our near future, but as soon as the snow melted, houses jumped $20-30kish, we also just haven't seen anything that makes us ooh and ahh. So we're hopeful they'll drop again when only crazy people choose to move.

Any Questions? 

I went through a solid week where I HAD to have potato skins. I ate them six out of seven days that week, then I was more or less over them. But I NEED fries in my life. And waffles lately. Which I have to carefully balance to keep my GD numbers under control 

@divinemsm620 that popcorn is lyfe!!

• @jena333-2 I am glad you have been managing your GD. I am in the early days and still struggling to avoid feeling PGAL triggers related to the diagnosis--and, from a practical standpoint, to get the meter strips to work consistently. But my two fasting numbers so far were bad (118 yesterday, evening snack was strawberries and 104, evening snack was 4 oz ice cream) and my breakfast number today was bad (144 at 2 hours). After-dinner yesterday was good. I guess tomorrow I will try a different breakfast to see if that will help. I am wondering what foods have been working for you in the morning? I think I recall you saying you had a favorite breakfast that you had to leave behind after your diagnosis...

Also it is a relief that your baby is good size-wise. I am definitely worrying about that and about being induced early :-( so it is good to know that it is possible to keep on track with a controlled diet.
  • As I understand it, the fasting numbers are the hardest to control, because early in the morning, if your body starts getting low, your kidneys dump extra sugar into your bloodstream to compensate for the lack of food overnight. Try eating something with protein in it as your evening snack. Maybe try a good handful of nuts or a hardboiled egg with your strawberries?

What did you have for breakfast that gave you the 144? I had to give up my bagel and oj. Now I'm doing Greek yogurt (protein), strawberries, and 2 carb servings (30g) of granola, and it's working for me. I can also do a half cup of oatmeal with fruit and milk. 

For me, I'm REALLY finding that protein is my friend. Protein changes the way / speed your body breaks carbs down into sugars (helping to prevent/offset the sugar spike). Times where I've been concerned that I overdid it with carbs, I'll check my sugar at an hour and if it's too high I'll immediately eat a hardboiled egg (I do confess I'm starting to get a bit tired of them) or some nuts, check again in an hour and I'm back within normal range.

I get the PGAL struggle. When I got my diagnosis all I could think was "women have been doing this for thousands of years, but *I* can't do it right??" which is a major blow. I had to really push myself to change my mind set. This is something **I** can do to ensure that baby and I are healthy. Monitoring this and changing my diet is something I can do for both of us. And down the road, if I need medication to help, I'm ok with that too, because while it stinks to take medication, the outcome will be a healthy baby. 
  • @jena333-2 You hit the nail on the head with the way you explained your response to your diagnosis. After my second miscarriage, I just felt maybe my body was incapable of handling pregnancy and this diagnosis seems to confirm that at least in one way, it can't. But with this babe, virtually everything else has gone smoothly. I am trying to iron out the dietary kinks and am certainly committed to making choices that provide optimal health for me and my son. So I'm going to keep logging the blood sugar readings as directed and voluntarily logging my food because he is worth it! 

Breakfast today was 3 oz grapefruit juice (basically just enough to satisfy the juice craving and take my prenatal and other pregnancy-related meds), 1 tsp peanut butter, 2 eggs and a slice of American cheese, some mashed cauliflower I cooked yesterday (no carbs in any of the ingredients), and a single serving Weight Watchers sample of apple cinnamon oatmeal. I am pretty confident it is the oatmeal that did me in because I had some hot oat bran cereal yesterday that left me with a normal reading. Sadly, I hate Greek yogurt :( so I tried a plain nonfat yogurt once--ICK. I like the kind with tons of added sugar, so I will just skip yogurt for the time being. 

Good tip about the protein supplement at snack time. I had much better readings at meals when I ate a lot of protein. The meal plan that the diabetic teaching nurse at my hospital gave me suggested carb + protein for evening snack and you may be right. We are just about at the point of needing some more groceries so I think I will hard boil the eggs I have left (which are perhaps just old enough that they will peel easily) and buy more. The other thing I've enjoyed for snacks is cheese sticks, which I am out of.
  • Did you have the juice when you had your normal reading with the oat bran? Juice is crazy high in sugar, so I try not to have more than a couple swallows. Three swallows of oj (when I have it by itself) will bring my sugar up 15 points. 

I did the voluntary good journal for about three weeks so I could get an idea of what goods have what sugar responses. It was really helpful!

Also I found an ice cream called Halo Top which is lower sugar/carb and higher protein. The salted caramel was delicious but I am not loving the oatmeal cookie (I find it grainy).
  • divinemsm620divinemsm620 member
    edited July 2017
    @jena333-2 Well, now I'm at 4 days of high high fasting levels as well as elevated breakfast from yesterday and today. Tomorrow I will try no juice and see if that helps. My lunch and dinner numbers have been within range. And my best fasting number was the morning after ice cream--go figure.

i tried a hard boiled egg at evening snack yesterday. It didn't help my level this morning. Question for you: how close to bedtime do you have the snack? Maybe that's where I'm going wrong as bedtime is 2 or 2.5 hours after the snack.
  • @divinemsm620
    I don't know if this will help. My doctor told me no fruit, yogurt, milk or sweets for your bedtime snack or breakfast. I save yogurt and fruit for my morning snack. She also told me for my fasting number never go more than 10 hrs without eating. I usually eat an hr before bed which ends up being roughly 9 hrs until breakfast. I found I have the lowest fasting numbers if I eat peanut butter before bed. I usually have it with a few crackers or a spoonful with a small bowl of popcorn. Weird I know, but it is working.
  • @cchenal07 definitely helpful. I have not been hungry for that nighttime snack so PB and popcorn would probably be fine for me. I'll try that tonight and I will keep working at breakfast. Clearly I can do some things right as lunch and dinner have been going smoothly.
  • We eat dinner really late (not awesome for you, I know, but DH works overnights and that's just how our life goes). So we eat dinner around 8:30/9, and I go to bed around 10. So the last thing I eat is typically a full meal. Then I eat breakfast around 9am, so I'm going about 11-12 hours between eating and checking my fasting numbers. 

The way I understand it, you may not be able to able to regulate your fasting number with diet. AND THAT'S OK! The placenta (again, as I understand it) is pumping out hormones that inhibit your body's normal ability to self regulate the sugar in your system. So your kidneys go "oh shit" and dump some into your blood stream early in the morning. 

The next things I would try (as a curious person): try testing your sugar earrrrrly in the morning. I know I'm up every 2 hours peeing, and then do your normal fasting check at your normal time. It might tell you when/if your kidneys are doing their "oh shit she's tanking!" sugar dump into your blood stream, or if you're just running consistently high throughout the pre dawn/morning hours. I would also (probably not the same night, and I don't know which of these things I would try first) having a small snack in the middle of the night. Like a spoonful of peanut butter or something. 

**Remember I'm not a medical professional, this is just some of the stuff I've found while Googling. You can and SHOULD call your doctor if you're worried.

Also, please remember that you are not a failure if you need a little medication help! I've read about a pill (Glyburide) and insulin shots at bedtime helping with fasting levels. Which obviously you know, and your doctor knows, but I think sometimes we just need to keep hearing the words: YOU ARE DOING THIS RIGHT. and IT'S OK TO NEED HELP. 

:)
  • I agree with @jena333-2. Everyone is going to be different. I basically found a good balance with trial and error. It also may not work two weeks from now. My gd nurse calls once a week and each time she gives me different ideas. The middle of the night peanut butter was one for when it doesnt work before bed anymore. Drinking water everytime I get up at night was another. I tend to have higher numbers on weekends when my schedule is off even though I am eating the same things. It for sure takes time to figure out. The most important thing is your trying!
  • This is my second pregnancy with GD and I'm actually managing it better this time than the first time. With my first daughter, I went on glyburide around 28 weeks. I've stayed off medicine so far this time, and as long as I can make it just two more weeks to 35 weeks, I should be in the clear to stay off meds completely! Which means we can let baby come on her own time and not have to induce. 

Oddly enough, I have my best fasting numbers after I eat something fairly high in sugar about 1 hour or so before bedtime. I've had a major s'mores craving lately, and a couple nights last week I ate one at about 9 p.m., then went to bed at 10. My fasting sugars the next mornings were in the upper 70s. But for the most part, no matter what I eat as a bedtime snack, I'm between 80-90 fasting. P.S. I'm not recommending anyone try the s'mores trick lol. I'm just saying it can vary from person to person. My doc did tell me that a small glass of chocolate milk is a good option for a bedtime snack -- it's got enough sugar to keep you from getting too low, but enough protein to balance it, as well. 

I struggle the most with my post-dinner, usually just because it's the meal where I eat the most. Especially if I've done really well and limited myself during the day, then I want to binge at dinner. But I've still stayed within range most readings. My endocrinologist told me I'm allowed two highs per week. The highest I've recorded was 150, so I'm still feeling pretty good about it. 

Yes, yes, yes to the protein. That's what my doctor told me can really make the difference, having a protein with every meal. I try to balance my carb heavy meals with protein packed snacks, such as yogurt, string cheese and peanut butter. It really does make a difference!