November 2017 Moms

Ear piercing

Courious to hear your opinions on piercing your baby's ears. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ear piercing

• slavenslaven member
    I never would. It's completely unnecessary. I mean, I know there's debate about circumcision but at least that has some kind of medical standing. It's hard enough taking care of an infant, there's no need to add any extra work. I had my piercings done as a teen and keeping them clean was hard then. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• We did both girls at 2months. It was great and they love them! It's also cultural for my husband. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My take on it has always been that it should be a choice that my child makes on their own. With an infant, taking care of pierced ears seems like an added worry that isn't necessary, not to mention the simple risks of infection just from piercing in General. Add in that it may not even be something they would choose down the line and it was a done deal for me.  We got my daughter's pierced when she was 4 and continually asked me over about 2 months if she could get it done. We got to make a whole day out of it and that was pretty special.
  • DH and I discussed this the other day. If we get her ears pierced, it will be once she is older, at least elementary school age. I agree with @ChattyKitty17, it should be if the child wants them done.
    I do know a bunch of people who have had their baby's ears pierced, and I understand why they would; it's just not a choice I would make personally.
  • I can't bring myself to pierce my girls' ears. My 3 year old has been asking for a while now, but I'm too afraid of her being in pain! Lol. I got mine done when I was 4, and asked for them. I'm sure my 3 year old will have hers done soon because she's very excited and asking, but I would not pierce a baby personally. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what you want to do though. 
  • Abby7Abby7 member
    No way for me. I think earrings look unnaturally fussy on babies and little girls. DD isn't allowed to get hers for another few years now, like I'm thinking 8 at minimum. However, sometimes it's cultural, and in those cases I say go for it. It can't do any harm.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine weren't pierced until I was around 10 or 11 with the understanding that it was my job to take care of them. I personally think pierced ears on anything under the age of 5 isn't ok. Personal preference.

• My mom pierced my ears when I was 1. I think it's no big deal at all, it's very common in my culture to do that and it's not like it was a gateway for me. I only have one piercing in each ear, nothing else. I could see wanting kids to be able to take care of them on their own though. I won't be piercing my daughters (if I have any) ears on my own but whenever they ask I'll likely have no issue with it. 

• My husband and I just discussed this. I figured we'd let her decide when she's a little older but we wouldn't say no. I got mine done around 4 or 5 but it was my decision. I actually don't have much of an opinion either way. Your choice. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • foxaírtfoxaírt member
    edited July 2017
    Right where my opinion is on all non medically necessary alterations or modifications without informed concent.... 
    Not my body not my say . Job as a parent is to guide protect and teach them I don't have the right to decisions over their body that aren't guided by health. The position does give me the power of concent in the case of medical needs. But I don't feel I have the right abuse that power for fashion . 
    As someone who has a fair amount of experience with modifications I also wouldn't rob them of that self identity and choice .it can be a right of passage in my family we usually wait till 8 . 14 for 2nd holes and 18 for anything else (ive had 18 piercings counting pairs in lobes as 1 -i have 3 in each lobe all stretched) 
    Everything beyond 2 lobe piercings after I was 18+
    I knew I wanted them from age 4 and had to wait and I did and I got them for my 8th birthday it was something that came with new trust and responsibility over my own body . I was old enough to understand and care for them and appreciate them  and choose what I wanted . It hurt I remember that and it was every bit worth it . It was the first time I had to give something of myself for what I wanted. 

All I ask is if you do modify your infant be informed go to a reputable modder (if you can find one who will do it) and pierce with needles and not the gun

• I'm on the you do you side for this. We chose not to pierce our kids' ears, but I have zero problems with anyone else doing it. I remember getting my ears pierced and how much I wanted it and how exciting it was and how I felt like such a big kid - I kind of want my daughters to have the same experience. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I had my ears pierced at the age of 1. I really don't think it's a big deal. DH and I have discussed this with DD. I didn't want to add the stress of caring for them when she was an infant on top of the regular new parent concerns I already had. However DD has asked multiple times over the last year so DH and I are considering when she turns 5.

There are a lot of cultural differences around this topic and I would understand both decisions. If a child's ears are pierced and later they decide they don't want them you can take them out. I had mine re pierced 3 different times so the hole should close up easily.
  • kwaldykwaldy member
    We pierced DDs around her first birthday. I, for the longest time, was resistant to it until she was older and could say she wanted them - particularly because I got them done when I was 8 and begged my mom.
    DH talked me into it, and I don't regret it. She didn't even cry when it happened, lol. We keep them clean and she doesn't touch them or even seem to notice them, and I think they look pretty on her. I might get flamed for modifying my daughters body... but we made the choice. To each their own. 
  • I was actually thinking of doing it sooner. Just st culturally that's what we do but was surprised at DHs reaction with a very stern no. He said just because she is a girl we should not do it and perhaps decide when she is at the right age. Hmm I don't think I care to fight that and totally fine with waiting till she asks for it and we think is cabals to manage the hygiene that is required with it. 
  • Mine were pierced as a baby and I like that the holes will never close (mine never have no matter how long I've gone without earrings) and that babies heal super fast, so it's actually less time that you have to keep them clean.  
  • It's interesting to hear people's opinions. I've never had to think about it having two boys but with a girl on the way it's something I've been thinking about. I respect everyone's decisions.  After all, it's your child, your decision. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A big fat nope from me. Not my body, not my choice. Plus I used to work across from the piercing store in the mall and had to spend all day listening to these terrified infants screaming their heads off in terror and pain win no idea what was happening to them. People get upset when shots or blood draws hurt but are ok with piercing? IDK, but I'll take my daughter to a professional piercer for whatever she wants when she is old enough to understand and consent. 
  • A few people asked me if I was going to have the pedi pierce my DD's ears when she was a baby. I said I would wait until she asked. She asked at 2. We made her wait until she was 4 and she screamed something awful having it done. In hindsight I wish she had them done as a baby at the pedi's office as it may not have bothered her as much.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• I think pierced ears look adorable on little girls! I don't remember how old I was when my grandma 1st took me to get my ears pierced but my mom was pissed and they got infected so she let them close. I got them done again a few years later and they're not even so it was a pain when I wanted a second hole. If I was having a girl I would get it done but do it either at the pediatrician or a reputable piercing place. Not just Claire's or somewhere in the mall.
  • My DD is 6 and she will make the choice of when she wants to get her ears pierced. Her body, her choice. I made the decision to pierce my ears when I was 4. My body, my choice. 
  • Pediatrician's pierce ears? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not all but some do!
  • I'm in the same boat as @DuchessOfCambridge. I honestly don't care one way or the other. We did not pierce my daughter's ears when she was born and no one cared (aside from my grandmother asking every once in a while). She's 4 now and I've brought it up on a few occasions (even offered it as a "I'm fully potty trained" present) but she really could care less about it right now. I'm sure if she asks in the future we will have no problem letting her.
  • Honestly, I've never had to think about it until now. I have three boys, a stepson and a stepdaughter. My step-DD's mother hasn't let her do it yet and she's almost 7. I'm having my first girl. I have a friend who had her daughter's ears pierced when she was a baby and had no issues with it. I didn't have mine done until I was 5 or 6 and that was fine too. I'm really not sure what our decision will be, yet. 
  • Interesting article. I'd let him pierce baby's ears, but not until after they've had tetanus shots. 3 weeks is too early.
    https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Piercing-Your-Child-Ears-Gun-43257804
  • Interesting article. I'd let him pierce baby's ears, but not until after they've had tetanus shots. 3 weeks is too early.
    https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Piercing-Your-Child-Ears-Gun-43257804
    Interesting article. My concern with getting them pierced with a needle is that once the first one is done, she won't allow the second one. The little girl in the video didn't seem to display any pain but I've had a few piercings with needles and it's not always pain free. I definitely wouldn't force her to get the second one done if she's hysterical after the first one. I'll have to look into this some more. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I won't do it until my child wants it, is old enough to take care of it herself, and take care of her earrings. In addition, my parents made it really special for me by surprising me with it for my 9th birthday. I had wanted it for a long time and then on my birthday they took my sis and I tonthr mall to do it. If you do it as a baby, you take away that fun mother and daughter experience and exciting thing for the older child.
  • My DD doesn't have pierced ears, her cousin who is a year older has two holes in each ear, I think the two holes is a little much for a 6 year old. My DD has decided that she doesn't want them pierced yet, when she is ready we will. For now she can have all the cute clip on earrings and those silly stick ons.  
  • I think pierced ears on babies are adorable... but we won't be doing it. I got my ears pierced at 10, and now have 5 individual piercings. However my ears cannot tolerate anything other than sterling silver or gold, and I've always had issues with them. My body doesn't tolerate piercings well, so I won't pierce my kids ears until later, just in case it's the same for them. 

I also will be taking my kids to a proper piercing place and getting it done with a needle not a gun. I had to let my first piercings heal over because my parents took me to get them done at Wal-Mart, and they botched it up. 
  • @cwalker042
    I suppose that's part of judging 'old enough' 
    And it could be an individual. She'd  need to understand it could hurt and want it enough to commit to the experience for the reward of having it done . 
    For me that seems to be the point of informed concent. Where they are old enough to make that saccrofice understanding that there's pain but choosing it for them self anyway . If she understands that and really wants them still she'll be ready and will stick through the experience. 
    But this time may come at different points for different people and may also depend on how badly they want it

• @DuchessOfCambridge I totally agree. I'd think that anymore than one piercing would look odd on such tiny ears. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My daughter is 1.5 and we decided early on to wait until she asked to have them pierced. I do think that doing it early could be nice because you have zero memory of it hurting. I had to wait until I was in 2nd grade and I still remember being totally freaked out about it. I also think babies with tiny earrings are super cute, so I've often wondered if we should've just done it when she was a baby- but then again, I am worrier by nature, and I'm concerned she'd figure out how to get them out and choke on an earring. This fear always sways me back to waiting until she's old enough to understand what she's doing and how to take care of them.
  • av2323av2323 member
    I had such sensitive ears as a kid.  They would get extremely infected and I took great care of them.  I had to have certain metals or I just couldn't tolerate them.  That said, I am leaning towards not having DD's done until she is old enough to ask.  Even then I will be terrified that she has the same sensitivities that I do.  

I do think pierced ears on babies are adorable and have no opinions whatsoever on others doing it early.
  • This was such a timely thread. My 6 year old made the decision to get her ears pierced today. My husband was more worried about her discomfort than she was. I'm happy I let her make the decision when she was ready. 
  • I feel it really depends a lot of people have different beliefs about this. I think if you want to do this than do it. I didn't get my ears pierced till I was 5. If I have a baby girl after a couple of months I was thinking about getting her ear pierced 
  • My ears were pierced when I was a few months old. I have no recollection of it and no long term issues. I personally think it isn't a huge deal and if a parent wants to do it then it's their choice (just like it is their choice for medical, education, living, etc). I don't think others should judge either.

With all that said...personally, we will not pierce our daughters ears for two reasons: 1) I think it's a waste of money at that age and 2) I rarely wear earrings myself and I have 4 pierced holes....so I can't imagine putting them on our daughter. When she is older and if she wants to do it, then we will. 
  • My daughter is 2 and we won't do hers until she's old enough to take care of them herself. I'm thinking 8-10, husband is thinking more into her teens. I would never do them as an infant, just a personal preference 
  • My DD is 4 and we never got them done. Just this weekend she asked me when she could start wearing pretty earrings like Mommy so I started to explain the process to her (it's like getting a shot in your ears, you can't go swimming for awhile, you have to put medicine on them, etc) and I was so happy when she made the decision on her own to wait until she's older. I wouldn't let her get them at this age so it would have been a battle if she really wanted them.