October 2017 Moms
Options

Maternity Leave

Hey everyone! 

I was wanting to get some of some of yalls thoughts on when to take maternity leave. My office doesn't offer maternity benefits therefore I won't be coming back and I will get to stay at home with baby. But they asked me today what my definite last day would be. And honestly I don't know how to answer it. I want to work up until my due date but I'm also not going to make myself miserable about it. My due date is October 10th, and this is my first baby so I don't know if I'm going to be early, late, right in time or if I'm going to have issues towards the end. 

Any advice or sharing when you are leaving work is definitely appreciated! 

Re: Maternity Leave

• Options
    With my last pregnancy I worked the night before my induction, and to be honest, I wish I would have taken about a week off before. I worked until midnight, then had to be at the hospital at 3pm. I would have spent that week just handing out with DD and relaxing. I understand it's hard when you don't know if you'll go early or late, but I would recommend taking some time to yourself. 
  • Options
    @OliveOyl2014 thanks! I'm thinking 2 weeks before, just so I have time to prep, and relax. I don't want to take too much time before because I'll go stir crazy waiting on her but I feel like I'll be nesting like crazy and I'm going to be miserably huge. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    abaumeabaume member
    @tyannej I would say a week before your due date is a good call. That's what I was going to do but I went 11 days early. Just listen to you body, if you start feeling to tired at the end then stop working earlier. 
  • Options
    I'm due Oct13 and plan to be at work until the end of Sep. I feel like I want the 2 week buffer so I have time at home to relax and prepare and also in case baby comes a little earlier since he's been measuring ahead of schedule
    Me: 28 | Him: 31
    Married: 11/12/16
    BFP: 02/09/17
    FTM | EDD: 10/13/17

Pregnancy Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Im a stay at home wifey so i dont have to think about that, but id say a week is the least.... 2 weeks is perfect! It will give you time to deal with last minute stuff if any, and also rest for that big day! 
  • Options
    I have a friend that just had her baby and only took a week off and I asked her, knowing what she knows now what would she have done, and she said 2 weeks. So I think that's what I'll do. Thank y'all so much for the input I just didn't want to stop too early and lose out on the little extra money that I could get. So with all of that, it looks like my last day will be Sept 26th, unless baby tells me otherwise!
  • Options
    I taught the day my water broke with my first.  I was out two weeks before I had my second. There was a fight at the school I worked at, and I got punched in the stomach.  Dr. wrote me out that day.  My third I worked up until the day I had him.  My fourth was induced the day after fall break so I had a week off before I had her.  

That being said, I like working up until delivery.  I was not calm having to wait with nothing to do.  It was pretty ridiculous how bored I was.  The only leave I was grateful for was the being written out for my second, we had a new principle who was not good with discipline and there were multiple fights daily.  Even then it was nerve wrecking just waiting around, better to keep yourself busy.

It never crossed my mind to take time off before the baby came.  I didn't know this was a thing.  Maternity leave is leave without pay for us, so yeah I will be working up until delivery with this one.  Unless something happens.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and will try to work as long as possible before labor. I want to save what little paid leave I have for after the baby comes. I'd love to take two weeks before my due date but that would only leave me with 4 weeks at home with my newborn. 
  • Options
    I'm also due on the 10th, but I plan to work until the end. My first was a week late and my second was early, so there's no telling when this baby will come. 
  • Options
    I get 12 weeks off, and would rather use all my time off after my baby is born. Last time I worked the 3 night shifts before my water broke. If you're not going back, a few weeks before baby is due would be awesome! I just don't want to 'waste' a couple weeks of maternity leave without a baby. 
  • Options
    With DD I had about a month off before she was born (stay at home wife/babysitter).  I was pretty bored!  This time, I'll have DD to run around after so I'm looking forward to having a bit of time just with her.
  • Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    I'm working up until I go into labor. I get 8 weeks paid leave, and I want to use all of it on the back end, otherwise 2 weeks off before sounds great! I have a desk job that does not require much standing or walking, so it's not so bad being at work.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was off with my first at 28 weeks which is obviously to much time but it was for medical reasons. I'll also be going off with this pregnancy at 29 weeks! I'd definitly say give rest some time to rest and prepare! I just have to tell all you ladies that I feel badly that ur maternity is so short! I would be a wreck if I had to go back that early. Thankfully we get a full 12 months in Canada, I'm overly grateful for that.
  • Options
    DMM927DMM927 member
    I am working until i can't work anymore! Like most of you, i am trying to save my time for when the baby is here. I also have a lot of vacation time stored up so i am taking a day off two off a week for the last few weeks to give me some "relaxing" time!
  • Options
    With my first I was working at an office while pregnant and decided to stop 2weeks before my due date. It was perfect but the waiting seemed eternal!! Lol. 
    I work for myself from home and have been since my first was born so I'll be working right up until baby comes, but that's ok bc I make my own hours and decide the workload I want to tackle
  • Options
    With my first,  I worked out perfectly... I worked until Wednesday,  my place of employment was closed Thursday for thanksgiving,  and Friday. I went into labor on Sunday and had him on Monday.  

With my second,  I don't work in a call center anymore...  I am a teacher.  I plan to work until I have my daughter and only take 8 weeks of maternity leave. But that's my plan... she might have other ideas
  • Options
    I was in the same boat, working in an office but was becoming a work at home mom after baby so wasn't dealing with maternity leave. I gave myself 2 weeks, during which I said I'd gladly work from home, and I did, just much less hours. But it was nice to do laundry, go for walks (waddles), take glorious naps, prep a few meals... now expecting baby 2 I'd love a few weeks of nothing!! So you may get a little stir crazy but I'm glad I could take that time for myself. My daughter was born on her due date so it is crummy if you go late, but find some home projects if you want to give yourself jobs to do :)