1st Trimester
Options

Ultrasound Confusion..

Hi there! I had a complicated early pregnancy where I had three scans to rule out an ectopic.  At 7 weeks, 5 days I saw the baby and it's heartbeat at 142 bpm. I had my first prenatal appointment at 9 weeks, 3 days and heard the heartbeat by doppler, which was exciting. I've been feeling really anxious because my ultrasound was so early, that there wasn't much to see and my OB doesn't seem concerned with me having another ultrasound (nothing scheduled besides my next monthly appointment). 

I'm 12 weeks, 2 days and my appointment is mid next week. I've been trying to decide if I should go to a private ultrasound clinic for piece of mind, or wait it out and see if my OB schedules one at my appointment. 

Did any of you that had very early scans, not have another for a considerable amount of time? It's so unclear to me what's normal and not - I feel like I'm so in the dark every day. 

Re: Ultrasound Confusion..

• Options
    kkay83 said:
    Hi there! I had a complicated early pregnancy where I had three scans to rule out an ectopic.  At 7 weeks, 5 days I saw the baby and it's heartbeat at 142 bpm. I had my first prenatal appointment at 9 weeks, 3 days and heard the heartbeat by doppler, which was exciting. I've been feeling really anxious because my ultrasound was so early, that there wasn't much to see and my OB doesn't seem concerned with me having another ultrasound (nothing scheduled besides my next monthly appointment). 

I'm 12 weeks, 2 days and my appointment is mid next week. I've been trying to decide if I should go to a private ultrasound clinic for piece of mind, or wait it out and see if my OB schedules one at my appointment. 

Did any of you that had very early scans, not have another for a considerable amount of time? It's so unclear to me what's normal and not - I feel like I'm so in the dark every day. 
    I personally would go with how often your doctor wants to do them / thinks they're needed. I had 1 a month during the early stages of my pregnancy and then I didn't have any for a couple months until I had a growth ultrasound a few weeks ago.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Technically, you already had an extra ultrasound than what is standard at my office.   A dating ultrasound and the NTS ultrasound are basically for patients that are high risk or have major medical issues that affected menstral cycles, etc (PCOS, endometriosis, etc.). The only "required " ultrasound is the 20 week anatomy scan.  It's only about 8 more weeks until your AS, be patient (as parenting is, a lot of patients) and trust your doctor.

You have heard the heartbeat via Doppler, that means baby is ok, and you are lucky as 9 weeks tends to be early to hear via doppler ;) You will hear it again at your next appointment, and if something is "off" they will get you an ultrasound.  

Please go by what your doctor recommends.  I do not trust private ultrasound places, (not regulated and who knows who is actually doung them) and I would never expose my baby to more ultrasounds than medically necessary.  

Trust your doctor on this. There are reasons they do what they do.  Just my thoughts 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kkay83kkay83 member
    Thanks so much! I have been trying to be patient and to accept that being pregnant, I'm not going to know what I want, when I want. I've been more anxious the past two days because my main symptoms (extreme fatigue and sore breasts) are completely gone.
  • Options
    kkay83 said:
    Thanks so much! I have been trying to be patient and to accept that being pregnant, I'm not going to know what I want, when I want. I've been more anxious the past two days because my main symptoms (extreme fatigue and sore breasts) are completely gone.
    Symptoms come and go.  That has no bearing in the health of your baby.  Try and enjoy being symptom free, as I know someone who was hospitalized due to severe morning sickness for both of her kids - not fun. So try to relax. I know easier said than done. 
  • Options
    Jyoung327Jyoung327 member
    edited July 2017
    I have.  My 2nd pregnancy was ectopic and I lost a tube. My 3rd pregnancy was conceived with help from an RE so I had early monitoring and ultrasounds at 5,8, and 10 weeks when I "graduated" to my obs care. I then didn't have an ultrasound until my anatomy scan which was at 21 weeks. Extra ultrasounds, ones that are not detrimental or are just for fun are not good for the baby. Peace of mind is difficult but that's something you have to work on through the finish line. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    kkay83kkay83 member
    I really appreciate the advice. I am trying so hard to relax and realize I have a long haul still ahead of me. I go to get my Harmony testing done early tomorrow morning and I asked my OB if the unit could do a quick doppler to try to give me a tiny bit of peace of mind. So tomorrow, fingers crossed all will be well and I'll at least be able to hear the heartbeat again. 
  • Options
    At least with my healthcare, standard ultrasounds are your dating, the NT, and the 20 week anatomy. We also listen for heartbeat at every appointment from 12 weeks up until the end. 

i also suggest stayibg away from private ultrasound places (like a 3/4d place). I have heard numerous stories of "technicians" not finding the heartbeat, causing the parents to literally lose their minds and panic, rush to the ER only to find out that their babe is just fine and learn that the place they went to is not certified. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker