Working Moms
Options

Working and Taking FMLA

Hi All,

I am a teacher and have always worked a part-time retail job after school hours to supplement my income. I will be taking FMLA from my teaching job when baby comes, but was hoping to keep working my 10 hours a week at the retail position just to help out with money a little since my FMLA will be completely unpaid.  I live in Illinois, and I can't find anything saying that this is illegal or not allowed. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Re: Working and Taking FMLA

• Options
    To my knowledge, all FMLA means is that your employer cannot give your job away while you are out. It is a protective policy for your job security at said employer. It does not restrict you from employment at other businesses.
  • Options
    I believe what PP said is correct. If you were taking disability pay it might be different. Check withbyou HR dept when you set up FMLA, they might know more. You will probably still need to take a couple weeks off after having the baby however. I know I couldn't stand for very long without being in pain for a few weeks after giving birth, and some pregnancies require bed rest/taking it easy to make it full term.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both!