Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Husband job affect sperm/fetal development

I tried to research this and I couldn't find anything. My husband works on restoring cars. He wears a mask because of all the sanding and paint but I'm not only worried about his health but the health of his sperm/fetal growth. I know woman can't breath in chemicals when their pregnant, but not sure how it affects the man when we are trying to conceive. Any one could shed some light on this would be great. thanks!

Re: Husband job affect sperm/fetal development

• Options
    AlohaKumu said:
    I tried to research this and I couldn't find anything. My husband works on restoring cars. He wears a mask because of all the sanding and paint but I'm not only worried about his health but the health of his sperm/fetal growth. I know woman can't breath in chemicals when their pregnant, but not sure how it affects the man when we are trying to conceive. Any one could shed some light on this would be great. thanks!
    I find it somewhat surprising that you couldn't find a single article or study that discusses this issue. I suggest a Google search for something like "chemicals sperm quality."
    I found this: Chemicals in the environment and human male fertility
    And this: Are Your Sperm in Trouble?
    And this: Infertility in Men
    ...just on the first page of a Google search.

So yes, prolonged exposure to chemicals and other environmental toxins could have a huge impact on sperm quantity and quality.
    I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I realize that there have been many research trails about what could affect fertility. These articles don't specify chemicals inhaled in paint/car restoration. Now, if someone looks hard enough they could probably find a problem with almost anything we use on a daily basis. However, I didn't know if anyone had any helpful first hand experience. I'm just trying to cover all our basis, I know ttc will probably be a long journey for us and I just want try to increase our chances or stop any foreseen problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is this something your husband has the option to stop doing?
  • Options

*snip*

However, I didn't know if anyone had any helpful first hand experience.
    Unfortunately you won't get too much of that here, as most of us are TTC our first, so most of us won't have first hand experience on anything that affects fetal development.
  • Options
    If you haven't already done this, you could always ask your husband the names of the specific chemicals he works with (presumably he knows the names) and use that to narrow your google searches. 
  • Options
    I know ttc will probably be a long journey for us and I just want try to increase our chances or stop any foreseen problems.
    Just curious why you think TTC will be a long journey. Do you have a known fertility issue (for example PCOS or advanced maternal age)? Do you have irregular cycles that make you suspect a problem? If none of that is true (and if there turn out to be no problems with your husband's sperm - get a semen analysis before you start TTC since he works with chemicals), then there's no reason to worry yet that you will have problems conceiving.