November 2017 Moms
Options

23 Week Viability Milestone!

Some of us are getting close! I love this chart, it makes me feel better as the weeks go by!

Re: 23 Week Viability Milestone!

• Options
    I breathe easier every week!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ShePersisted I somewhat agree. 23 weeks I still breathe a little easier but with DD I had an emergency appendectomy at 24 weeks. They brought in the NICU team to talk to us prior just in case something happened and they needed to deliver. It honestly scared me so much when they explained how small she would be and the challenges she would face. 
  • Options
    I am not sure how and why this thread is suddenly defensive. I just reflected on a true reality of the statistic shared and just stated it means different for me but it may not for others. For me personally, survival at an early stage with developmental delays gives me no relief which does not mean every woman should be in the same boat.  It's not meant to refute or argue. It's a different perspective. Like @BayCamp shared in her experience, survival is a big deal. But for many like me and @NYTino24 , it might not be any relief and frankly more stressful.  It's just two perspectives on how we look at at medical fact. To me looking survival stats alone is mis-leading as I have first handed seen what it can do to the quality of life of a family and the child. If I were to look at stats on this topic, I rather look at survival with minimal or non severe developmental issues. 
  • Options
    @ShePersisted understood, not trying to seem defensive, just imputting my opinion/how i see it 
  • Options
    Sorry guys I didn't mean to seem confrontational I actually like this thread and celebrating each week we make it. I was just providing a personal experience and the fear that came with being faced with the potential of a delivery at 24 weeks. 
  • Options
    ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited July 2017
    I totally get the fact that there is a possibility of having a perfectly healthy child even with very early premies. I totally get that and I hope and pray our technology gets to the point where they can provide the care needed so that survival rates indeed mean what they stand for. Unfortunately, the reality is all about odds of what that healthy survival is.  Perhaps looking at the outcomes listed on the site below gives sense of what point I'm trying to bring to attention here. I have very close friends who had premie children and they will not trade their child for anything in the world and neither would I - developmental issues or not.  But that's not the point any of us are arguing. The point i am making is that just looking at survival rates as listed in the OP in pure black and white is perhaps not the best way to look at it. 

https://www.preemiesurvival.org/info/

• Options
    RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited July 2017
    I don't fully understand why this thread has become defensive. I, and a few others, were sharing our opinion of when we'd feel celebratory, and providing a different perspective, that viability is not the big milestone we're looking forward to. I don't think anyone was implying that someone else celebrating this milestone would want their baby to be born this early, or even that they shouldn't celebrate reaching this milestone at all. I think I even said celebrating any milestone can be great, and personally I find at least small milestones every month to be helpful. I just appreciated @ShePersisted's links and facts so that I could be more informed about when the chances for best quality of life catch up with plain survival. I never gave much thought to what viability actually looked like before this pregnancy, and having that information has been really helpful for me in how I think about my pregnancy. Reaching viability is great - reaching 30 weeks is better, and full term is best. Just because the stats on disability are unpleasant facts, or that it's a different way of looking at this milestone from others on the board, doesn't mean this is the wrong thread for the discussion. 
  • Options
    I think the point of this thread was celebration. Certainly we all still have fears, but those fears don't need to be perpetuated before they even come to pass. And there are other places to discuss them. 
    Yes! Completely this.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
     I see this thread as celebratory, the ladies due before us all have "viability celebration" threads, just like we had a "halfway there" thread. I for one like making it to 20 weeks because then the L&D part of a hospital will see you for anything. Before that most hospitals don't let you go anywhere but an ER, from personal experience. 
  • Options
    I don't fully understand why this thread has become defensive. I, and a few others, were sharing our opinion of when we'd feel celebratory, and providing a different perspective, that viability is not the big milestone we're looking forward to. I don't think anyone was implying that someone else celebrating this milestone would want their baby to be born this early, or even that they shouldn't celebrate reaching this milestone at all. I think I even said celebrating any milestone can be great, and personally I find at least small milestones every month to be helpful. I just appreciated @ShePersisted's links and facts so that I could be more informed about when the chances for best quality of life catch up with plain survival. I never gave much thought to what viability actually looked like before this pregnancy, and having that information has been really helpful for me in how I think about my pregnancy. Reaching viability is great - reaching 30 weeks is better, and full term is best. Just because the stats on disability are unpleasant facts, or that it's a different way of looking at this milestone from others on the board, doesn't mean this is the wrong thread for the discussion. 
    Thank you! Exactly this. I feel like I shared what I personally felt and got attacked for sharing my perspective. Celebrate away if you want to and I don't think anyone here will say wait to celebrate at any stage. Heck I celebrate every single week when I get a week further along. I knew this would be flammable so I'm not really offended that some of us feel differently but i honestly just shared that it's not really any relief for me as I don't think looking at 17% survival means anything to me as a milestone and I rather wait for 28 weeks or further along. I shared some additional stats on this milestone and just brought home the fact that the term 'viability' in this stage can be misleading in terms of what it can actually mean. 
  • Options
    Thank you! Exactly this. I feel like I shared what I personally felt and got attacked for sharing my perspective. Celebrate away if you want to and I don't think anyone here will say wait to celebrate at any stage. Heck I celebrate every single week when I get a week further along. I knew this would be flammable so I'm not really offended that some of us feel differently but i honestly just shared that it's not really any relief for me as I don't think looking at 17% survival means anything to me as a milestone and I rather wait for 28 weeks or further along. I shared some additional stats on this milestone and just brought home the fact that the term 'viability' in this stage can be misleading in terms of what it can actually mean. 
    This happens a lot lately 
  • Options
    I was under the impression that most of the women on our board are very aware that their babies aren't fully developed yet. But still choose to celebrate a chance at life.

There are also several women here who have children with disabilities. 

If you don't feel celebratory yourself, sure, that's understandable. But the thread was created as a place to celebrate. 

You don't go to a birthday party and say "Well that's great and all, but statistically speaking you could still be in a life altering car accident, so don't get too excited." 
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHABAHAHHHAHAA. 
  • Options
    bcashaw said:
    I was under the impression that most of the women on our board are very aware that their babies aren't fully developed yet. But still choose to celebrate a chance at life.

There are also several women here who have children with disabilities. 

If you don't feel celebratory yourself, sure, that's understandable. But the thread was created as a place to celebrate. 

You don't go to a birthday party and say "Well that's great and all, but statistically speaking you could still be in a life altering car accident, so don't get too excited." 
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHABAHAHHHAHAA. 
    That's just ridiculous and mean right here and this is EXACTLY why it felt like an attack. Did I ever imply what you say above?  Did any one ever say that? Why would you be so harsh? 

I simply said hey btw 'viability' may not be the right thing here to celebrate as even survival can have very horrible outcomes. This is precisely why there are organizations like march of dimes. These studies and charts reveal these stats and a lot of women are misinformed on what it really means for them and their babies. Dr's too in fact push for earlier c-secs because they don't really care about the difference between 38 vs 39 weeks of pregnancy. If I did my part on just reflecting the reality of the statistics shared in a thread that talks about how the chart makes them feel better, I don't think I did anything wrong. 

And to give an absolutely ridiculous example and then laugh about it like 'Oh you can still die in a car crash' is just spiteful to draw home a point that has no fucking relevance to the topic. If you don't like what was shared that's fine but don't mock someone who is trying to give information to a bunch if moms who may not look into the reality of premature birth risks. We celebrated 14 weeks and are there people who lost their babies after 14 weeks? yes, are there people who lost their kids at birth? yes, but we were happier because 'statistically' the chances of that happening are less. But that's not the case for premature births at 23-24 weeks for majority of folks, so if some us feel like we want to wait longer to celebrate and voiced our opinion on it, take it like that and stop mocking moms for feeling differently. Like others have said, if you want to share a post about how it makes you feel and celebrate this milestone pls do but stop defending your way is the right way. It's because you want a thread to have a certain positive feel does not necessarily mean the whole board has to. 

• Options
    @ElizabethSchuyler well said and that makes a lot of sense. I accept and respect your perspective. And that's the spirit of the thread to me and there is no reason to not celebrate every milestone for that reason. There also no harm in expressing the fear in this milestone and wanting to wait to feel celebratory. 
  • Options
    NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited July 2017

That's not what is happening here at all. In fact, it's the opposite. Percentages were given and people discussed them. There was no attack on anyone and there never has been on this BMB as far as I'm concerned. People are free to post what they like and sometimes other people disagree. We are all adults here and sometimes people read tone into typed words. Sometimes their guess on the intention is right, sometimes it's wrong, and sometimes there was no intention. There really isn't need for passive aggressiveness or direct aggression from anyone. Everyone here wants to meet their baby and we all count down the days. No one is saying anyone shouldn't celebrate when they feel like it and no one else is saying someone else should. So @DuchessOfCambridge if you wanna start another viability celebration thread, people can post their party gifs there. Sorry this one turned away from your objective.

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility