May 2017 Moms
Options

The Great Big SLEEP Thread

Let's discuss all things related to sleep (or lack there of).

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

Re: The Great Big SLEEP Thread

• Options
    mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited July 2017
    I originally posted this in the weekly randoms thread but wanted to start its own thread since it is such a big topic.

With DS1, I didn't even really read about it or try anything specific as we went off of his cues and such. He actually did pretty good and started sleeping through the night, with the occasional MOTN feed, fairly early on.

During the hospital stay with DS2, one of the mother & baby nurses mentioned a method/book that piqued our interest. It's called, Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old. Suzy Giordano is the author. We ordered it but I barely started reading it last night. It's an easy read and I'm finishing it up now. Anyone else heard of this, have or will be trying it?

Unfortunately, one thing that's already NOT in my favor, is that we have Rowan's crib in our room and have planned on having him in there for his first year, to reduce the risk of SIDS. This, however, is the antithesis to her method. I almost stopped reading the book right after I read that, but i figured the other parts may still help. We had DS1's crib in our room as well and he slept pretty good.

I'll be back to post a summary and my thoughts on the book/method later tonight or tomorrow.

But I'm interested in others' experiences and/or other methods as I'm unsure if going with a strict schedule is really for us. In about a month, I'll be returning to work and my mom will be helping us with child care. I'm not sure just how committed she or MH will be with this method... Of course they're on board, but how committed is another question...

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    With my first we sleep trained. I would let him cry for a few minutes and I would sit outside the door and time it for however long then go in pick him up for a hug and lay him down then add another minute to the timer. It worked pretty well in just a few days of doing this. But I should mention he was already 10 months old and formula fed. 

With ds2 we didn't have to do that. He was BF. I did a dream feed around 10:30-12:00 whenever we went to bed and he slept through by 3 months. 

This time around I'm hoping for the same. This baby is a dream baby though and already sleeps until 5am after his dream feed and then back down until 8ish. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    UPDATE!

The promise of having your baby sleep for twelve hours through the night sounds great and so I read Suzy Giordano's, Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks. Although I can see how this can and does work for some families, I don't think it will work for mine. In my opinion, I think it would work best for those that will be staying home and be the primary caregivers day and night. The method requires strict adherence to the method and schedule for it to stick and then any stray from the set schedule would require additional reinforcement to get back to it.

I didn't write a summary but wanted to add some basics of it here, at least.

Before using the method, there are three requirements that must be met: baby must be at least 9 pounds, eats at least 24 oz in 24 hours, be at least 4 weeks old if a singleton, 8 weeks old if a twin, 12 weeks old if a triplet.

Also, she mentions baby must sleep in a separate room

Training, or Baby Boot Camp, can start as early as 8 weeks for a singleton and usually takes 4 weeks.

Chronological order for Training
    1. Feeding during the day : every four hours four times a day for twelve hours
    2. Feeding during the night: gradually eliminate all night feedings for twelve hours
    3. Sleeping during the night: sleeping or resting quietly in crib for twelve hours
    4. Sleeping during the day: sleeping or resting quietly in crib for about one hour in the morning and about two hours in the afternoon.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    MTB16MTB16 member
    I am doing babywise is anyone else? I started getting baby on a pretty strict eat-play-sleep on a 3 hour cycle around 2-3 weeks. I do stray from the schedule if he is hungry earlier. 

He's only been waking up once overnight since 4 weeks (he will be 7 weeks on Monday). Recently we've had some trouble with napping for the full 1.5-2 hour stretches during the day, but I'm hoping that's a temporary set back. 

is anyone else's LO fighting naps like crazy during the day? 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    MTB16 said:
    I am doing babywise is anyone else? I started getting baby on a pretty strict eat-play-sleep on a 3 hour cycle around 2-3 weeks. I do stray from the schedule if he is hungry earlier. 

He's only been waking up once overnight since 4 weeks (he will be 7 weeks on Monday). Recently we've had some trouble with napping for the full 1.5-2 hour stretches during the day, but I'm hoping that's a temporary set back. 

is anyone else's LO fighting naps like crazy during the day? 
    Yes! She hates sleeping during the day. Some days are better than others but sometimes I'll put her down and she'll wake up in like 20 minutes! She sleeps relatively well at night, so I'm not complaining, but it makes life difficult to get things done. 
  • Options
    Hi! We're not following any specific method, but I am trying to go by "the no cry sleep solution". Basically we respond on the first cry, but for sleeping you don't put to sleep asleep, just sleepy. You separate night and naps. We're also trying a bit of the "90 minute sleep program" where we try to get him asleep 45 min after he finishes eating. 

All that being said he wakes about every 3 hours consistently. The last week I think he's going through a leap because we've had some harder moments. Looking forward to longer sleep stretches for sure!
  • Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    We've also been laying DD down sleepy but not asleep and it's been great. She falls asleep on her own and just last night was her third straight night sleeping through the night. I think other contributing factors are she finally weighs over 10 lbs, she started nursing a bit longer session before bed, and she's starting to be more active during the day.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    MTB16MTB16 member
    edited July 2017
    @Jens_Hoes it's so hard to get anything done!!! Hoping our babies become excellent nappers soon!
  • Options
    MTB16MTB16 member

mcvgal said:
    We've also been laying DD down sleepy but not asleep and it's been great. She falls asleep on her own and just last night was her third straight night sleeping through the night. I think other contributing factors are she finally weighs over 10 lbs, she started nursing a bit longer session before bed, and she's starting to be more active during the day.
    Yay for your LO sleeping through the night!!!  How many weeks is she? 
  • Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    edited July 2017
    @MTB16 she was born premature so even though she's 18 weeks old, her adjusted age is 9 weeks.

ETA Even though her adjusted age is still pretty young, I guess her sleeping well could just be a result of having somewhat of a routine for so much time now.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    MTB16MTB16 member
    edited July 2017
    @mcvgal Amazing job!! I'm hoping our routine gets my guy sleeping through the night in the next few weeks!