February 2018 Moms

What would you do?

Ladies, I need your help in figuring this out.

My previous OB is no longer practicing obstetrics. She has given me a few referrals, and here are the things I can't think through:

1. Her referrals are quite a distance from me, including their affiliated hospitals. 

2.I formed a wonderful connection with a midwife near me who is not on my insurance, and would mean her care would be totally out of pocket. 

3. Other OB/midwife offices near me won't do a 5 min meet and greet or phone chat to get to know them. I believe people's time is worth money, but their consult fee is $150-200 which seems like a lot to pay just to get a feel for someone vs seeking medical advice. 

I'm sure there is a simple solution that my pregnant brain can't think through. Can you help me think through this? What would you do?

Re: What would you do?

• Do you have any local friends or family who have been pregnant semi-recently? Maybe ask around and get some names that way. I found my OB through my SIL.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with @SunflowerMama428 for me it's more about the hospital. I would just find a provider that works at the hospital I want, make an initial appointment with them, ask what you can expect at your first appointment, and make your judgement based on that visit.
  • Yeah I hate my local hospital and would not want to deliver there. So all local OBs are out since I don't want to deliver at that hospital. I am traveling like 45 minutes to a practice that delivers at a hospital I trust. I also happen to like the drs but the hospital part (they have an amazing NICU, etc) is the bigger reason for me. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also do not like our local hospital, so I choose to drive an hour to my OB--who is incredible and delivers at 2 of the best hospitals in the area.  I second finding a hospital you like, then researching doctors.  You have time.  Good luck!
  • Thank you, Ladies!

I'm going for a VBAC so I think you all are right about working backwards from the facility first. 

Youre also right that I can switch providers if I really need to. 

That's what I needed...Just to hear the different and simple ideas. I used to hate the term "pregnancy brain" but I'm really feeling it these days!
  • I agree with finding a hospital first, particularly if you're shooting for a VBAC. Make sure you not only find out the hospital's policy, but do some background research to see if what they're say is actually what they practice.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a great local mom's FB group that I would ask for reccomendations, do you have something like that?
  • Absolutely go with hospital first if you want a VBAC as not all will do them! Our local hospital doenst take our insurance so it was out and I didn't like the one in the next town over that did. We ended up going to a hospital an hour away (although we got there in 45 minutes for my daughter because my husband was so nervous!). Once you get that hospital bill, you will be so glad you didn't choose someone out of pocket!!!
    It's good to consider friends opinions, reputation and if they have a NICU (which ended up being necessary for us). I was willing to switch doctors but mine practiced at the hospital I wanted. Its good to have a doctor you feel comfortable with at appointments but you wouldn't know that in 5 minutes anyways. Better to look at their profile and ask questions and see who might be a good fit for your goals for the birth. And unless you have a midwife, your doctor might not be on call when you go into labor anyways. So I'd pick based on a practice that overall appeals to you. 
  • barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited July 2017
    You ladies are so supportive and helpful!! 

I'm going for a VBAC and I'm taking all of your advice. None of my mama friends have done a VBAC but I feel comfortable now after reading all of your responses. 

Thanks again!

Edited: typos. Always typos 
  • I'm going for a VBAC too! I'd definitely agree to start with the hospital then. Good luck with the search!
  • I agree with starting with the hospital. My hospital also hosts a "Meet the Drs" and a "Meet the Midwives" I think about once a month. They are two separate nights, but it is a good way to get to know some of the providers. I am not sure if most hospitals do this or not though. For us, they do this because you could have any of them deliver your baby. They do not call in the specific dr, but instead they rotate. You also can book with any or all of them through your pregnancy so you can get to know them all. 
  • I would be so concerned having to go too a hospital far away! How are you ladies going to do an hour long car ride in labor? I pick out of the Drs.  That deliver at the closest hospital that takes my insurance,  my last delivery the er Dr.  Didn't even make it up in time and i was delivered by the nurse. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • See i moved and just found out my obgyn was no longer practicing. Now where i live the 2 hospitals near me closed their maternity wards. So that leaves traving 20 min to the hospital my son was born or 30 to the city. I shopped around o line because i am picky about obs and fou d one that many people near me swear by. She practices in my town but also delivers where my son was born so iwent with her. I get to actually meet her tuesday for our first us
  • I would be so concerned having to go too a hospital far away! How are you ladies going to do an hour long car ride in labor? I pick out of the Drs.  That deliver at the closest hospital that takes my insurance,  my last delivery the er Dr.  Didn't even make it up in time and i was delivered by the nurse. 
    The closest hospital to us is 1h15m away. I've delivered both mygirls there. My OB gives me different guidelines than her closer patients on when to come in.