June 2017 Moms

Moms of toddlers

How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 

What was the best part of your week with your toddler?

Rants/Raves/Questions:

Anything you want to add/share?:

Re: Moms of toddlers

• How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 
    My toddler has been acting out constantly since having our daughter. It's like a switch flipped and he just isn't sure of his place. My husband has been spending all of his time with him. Next week he returns to work so I'm a little worried. My DS basically ignores everything I say. It's like he sees me with baby and thinks I'll do nothing to correct his behavior. It's been a difficult balance that I'm hoping will get easier as the weeks go by. 

A couple times he has climbing into bed with me to snuggle which has been sweet and what we used to do. He is always very concerned when she cries so he's got the protective big brother part down already :-) 

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    Has anyone been able to successfully do newborn photos with a toddler too? I didn't take my DS to my official photo shoot but I'm thinking about having a family member try to take some for us. Anyone have some tips or tricks that worked well for them to get some cute pictures.  

• KB00KB00 member
    How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 
    I still have an inside baby for two more days, so things have been going pretty well at home with my 3 year old. He seems excited to be a big brother but I'm scared for the regression and jealousy that may take place when we bring our baby boy home. I'm interested to see how other new moms are handling it. This week, since I'm a teacher home for the summer, I have just been trying to do special one on one activities with him everyday. I'm struggling a little bit with the idea that he will have to share all of the attention and he will no longer be the only child. 

I love our nap time cuddles everyday. I'm looking forward to tomorrow because my husband is also taking the day off to just have a whole day enjoying being a family of three for the last time. Baby will be here Friday! 

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    My son has been doing really well following directions and controlling his tantrums the last few weeks. I'm seriously hoping that continues once baby is here but I doubt it. He is such a momma's boy and the next two weeks at least he will need to depend on daddy much more - which he doesn't tend to like lol he definitely prefers mommy time. 

• Loading the player...
  • KB00KB00 member
    JennMof3 said:
    My toddler has been acting out constantly since having our daughter. It's like a switch flipped and he just isn't sure of his place. My husband has been spending all of his time with him. Next week he returns to work so I'm a little worried. My DS basically ignores everything I say. It's like he sees me with baby and thinks I'll do nothing to correct his behavior. It's been a difficult balance that I'm hoping will get easier as the weeks go by. 

A couple times he has climbing into bed with me to snuggle which has been sweet and what we used to do. He is always very concerned when she cries so he's got the protective big brother part down already :-) 

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    Has anyone been able to successfully do newborn photos with a toddler too? I didn't take my DS to my official photo shoot but I'm thinking about having a family member try to take some for us. Anyone have some tips or tricks that worked well for them to get some cute pictures.  

Such a good question about pictures! For my maternity pictures my son was a little terror and would not sit still for pictures so we got three decent candids but over all it was a disaster. I was disappointed because I wanted sweet pictures of me and him together but that wasn't happening at all. Now I'm scared to pay for him to be in pictures with or newborn because it won't be worth it if we only get two good pictures! 

Sorry no advice. But I can definitely commiserate with you. Following for any good advice you may get! 
  • @Kylieslip24 those are beautiful, I'm impressed you took them yourself.

I took my own newborn photos that I'm proud of but I didn't even try to get my toddler in them. I've just been taking candids of the girls together around the house. I am thinking of a professional shoot at the end of summer around DD's second birthday. I thought by then she might be a little more cooperative and the baby would be a little less fragile. @JennMof3
  • @Kylieslip24 Your photos are perfect! I think I may try to see what I can get. My hubby has been off work or nearly 2 weeks and his patience is running super thin but I'll keep my fingers crossed we can make something work. 

@mamaelle27 That's a good idea to waiting until baby is a little older.  I did get photos with the baby and my older girls so that something :-). I'm planning on doing pictures in October of the whole family. That's been kind of our tradition is to do fall photos and then use that for our Christmas card.
  • @doodleoodle That's a good idea. 
  • Thanks guys. @JennMof3 @mamaelle27
    dh was pretty over it by the end too. The last hour I was on my own cause he couldn't deal anymore. Dd was being really wiggly. 
    Waiting a bit is a good idea. I think my favorite pics of dd were between 4-7 months. I do monthly pics for their first year. But I love that stage. You can interact with them more for the picture, put things in their hands, and they are more awake and smiley. 
    I want to do a family shoot around the same time since I have so many pictures, but I'm never in them. 
  • @JennMof3 I got some great pics of my toddler and newborn. This was due to lots of bribes with snacks, also the photographer came to our house which helped a ton. My toddler could run around and we didn't force the issue of pictures. He would get curious about what we were doing then run over, be in a couple pics and then take off again.  Good luck ! 
  • How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 
    This is week 6 for us and I feel like it's gotten a lot better. My toddler (22 months) is doing better with waiting for me while I'm helping the baby and learning what she can do to help. I left the house alone with both of them but only to go to my aunt's house where there was a ton of help. I haven't gone out in public with them both yet.

She's been coming into our bed in the morning and giving me huge kisses and cuddles. Melts my heart to get that special one on one time and have her be all mushy.

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    Most mornings we've gotten both girls to sleep until 6:30 instead of 4:45/5 that they'd been doing previous weeks, that made a huge difference and I hope it continues.

Any suggestions for keeping toddlers off baby equipment? DD, when she's feeling particularly mischievous, tries to climb into the baby swing (luckily not when the baby's in it). I know she's doing it for attention but I can't figure out how to nip it in the bud.
    we're doing ok, leaving the house is still daunting and difficult, but we can go in a pinch, I finally bought a carrier so I can wear DS2, I feel like that will make it easier but I haven't tried yet. DS1 has adjusted to the new routine and having less and less meltdowns, he's back to his normal self, and adores his brother. There is hope! It took 5 weeks, but there is hope.

He has been sick and sooky this week so everything has been the end of the world, honestly the best part of my week was the 3hrs he was at preschool before they rang me to come pick him up. #motheroftheyear

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    I just wish he could shake this flu, thankfully his brother hasn't picked it up, and I only had it for 2 days. H on the other hand I am pretty sure may drop dead sometime today.

as for toddler photos, bribery is your best bet, toys, chocolate, anything. You need both kids happy which is the hardest part. You will have about a 10minute opportunity from experience, and even then, that may be pushing it. A professional will know the tricks to get both to cooperate and it will be quicker. If you're doing them yourself be prepared to spend hours trying to get the perfect photo.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • @PartiallyDomesticated I hope your DS1 and husband are feeling better soon! Hopefully DS2 continues to stay well. 

I'm hoping my DS adjusts to the new baby soon. My lack of sleep situation is wearing on my patience too so I'm trying to keep that in perspective. 
  • For those of you with young toddlers, how are you managing bedtime? DD1 is 20 months old and DD2 is 7 weeks and so she's starting to have longer wakeful periods. Before, bedtime wasn't a big deal because I could just lay DD2 down and have plenty of time to snuggle DD1 before bed. Lately though, DD2 hasn't been able to be settled by bedtime and if she does get settled she wakes up and cries. I've pushed bedtime back very late some nights but DD2 still cries and then DD1 is grumpy from lack of sleep the next day.
  • I did not get a response in earlier to the original set of questions, but really appreciate this thread. Three will be so many wonderful things about having them close together (20mo here), but I have been getting nervous about it. I am so afraid of resenting one for the time they take away from the other, like maybe I won't have enough time, energy, patience, or love to continue to provide the same level of care and connection as what I have had with DS. I appreciate the tips and positive moments (and pics!) that you each have shared as well as validating the difficulties that come with it.
  • @WeddingNotes13, it is definitely hard to balance two little ones. I've often had those feelings of, I'm not giving my toddler enough attention or I haven't had time to cuddle the baby, but I think this is just a blip on the radar for them and long term their relationship will be such an amazing part of their lives. My baby is 7 weeks now and I'm finally feeling like we are getting into a decent routine and I'm ready to incorporate the baby into some of my toddler's out of the house activities (I'd been surviving on leaving the baby with my mother in law any time I needed to take the toddler out until now). I'll keep you gals posted. Good luck!
  • @WeddingNotes13 I've felt guilty about missing time with my son due to my slow c-section recovery and taking care of baby. I Spent last week being hard on myself and thinking of the areas I'm perceiving as failing him

On the flip side I've seen how he has turned to his Dad for comfort and guidance which has been good to see. He also gets to enjoy the summer with his older Sisters. So I'm trying to focus on the more positive and remember this time is short and he likely won't remember much of it. 
  • Anyone have any good toddler snack suggestions, both homemade and prepackaged? DD (23 months) seems to have outgrown all her "baby" favorites like puffs, graham crackers, etc. and I'm at a loss for what to give her.
  • Hello from may 17. @mamaelle27 my toddler ( 23 months too) loves granola bars. Particularly the cliff kids oatmeal cookie or iced lemon. He still loves the fruit/vegetable squeeze pouches , cheese sticks, peanut butter crackers goldfish... I always look for things that will take him awhile to eat and keep him busy and granola bars win every time. 
  • Anyone have any good toddler snack suggestions, both homemade and prepackaged? DD (23 months) seems to have outgrown all her "baby" favorites like puffs, graham crackers, etc. and I'm at a loss for what to give her.

https://pinterest.com/pin/168603579783357074/?source_app=android

I made some of these today and they were a hit with my 23 month old. 
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • @WeddingNotes13, it is definitely hard to balance two little ones. I've often had those feelings of, I'm not giving my toddler enough attention or I haven't had time to cuddle the baby, but I think this is just a blip on the radar for them and long term their relationship will be such an amazing part of their lives. My baby is 7 weeks now and I'm finally feeling like we are getting into a decent routine and I'm ready to incorporate the baby into some of my toddler's out of the house activities (I'd been surviving on leaving the baby with my mother in law any time I needed to take the toddler out until now). I'll keep you gals posted. Good luck!
    JennMof3 said:
    @WeddingNotes13 I've felt guilty about missing time with my son due to my slow c-section recovery and taking care of baby. I Spent last week being hard on myself and thinking of the areas I'm perceiving as failing him

On the flip side I've seen how he has turned to his Dad for comfort and guidance which has been good to see. He also gets to enjoy the summer with his older Sisters. So I'm trying to focus on the more positive and remember this time is short and he likely won't remember much of it. 
    Thank you both for those perspectives!